Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
They simplified pipe laying? LAME

They could have added layers of complexity to compliment modern city planning, ie. alternate forms of transport. How about a gondola? Bicycle lanes?
Just looks like more of the same with worse graphics than sim 4. :(

I don't agree that simplified pipe laying is "lame" since really it was so useless in Simcity 4, where you had to simply draw a grid. There wasn't any "strategy" attached to pipes before. It's great that now the game do these stuff automatically.

However, I agree with the fact that they should have moved toward more variety in term of city development, try to give us alternative to the "American Sprawl Suburb" city planning and move to something more modern and organic, and the best way to do that would be to add a lot more strategy and complexity to the way you handle transportation. Having bike lanes, "rent-a-bike" system like BIXI in Montreal, being able to create bus lanes (and not just simple bus stops), same thing with Metro and trains. Even add some "prototype" transportation system that aren't really in service. Being able to build a city with smaller street, add the possibility to have residential buildings with commerce at street level.

Basically, add variety to the way you start and build your city.

^^ CoolMacLover

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
On A Apple
Sadly, I'm not getting my hopes up. It is EA, after all.

* Looks like this will be enforced multi-player. No single-player option.

* City sizes are apparently fairly small, maybe a half of what previous versions have been.

* Probable dumbed-down player controls

Sigh.

It does *look* fantastic, actually quite close to what I'd been hoping to see... 10 years ago.

There will hopefully be a change in enforcing multiplayer and same with always online. I think they have changed it on another major game because of the demands of customers.

I guess they made it smaller to try and get people to play more than one city at a time to get them to join them up and then again force multiplayer.

I'm looking forward to getting it! :D I hope they improve a lot of things over the older games. When watching that video I saw a lot of things (like joining up to the major road thing) from City Life and Cities XL. But lets hope everything is great! :D I want more realistic tools to build with.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Looks great fun! I'm glad they've got rid of the laying pipes and electricity wires thing. That just got irritating.

The only thing that's bugging me is that it's Origin only right now. I'll never trust an EA download service, I've been burnt by them before. I also don't like physical copies. Maybe I'll have to pirate it until it becomes available on Steam. At least then the DRM thing won't be an issue!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
As a former land planner (employed by a city once upon a time), I assure you no elected official will suggest their employees play games at work of any kind. I know the original intent of Sim City 20 years ago was to give planners this ability but that is no more.

I didn't mean they would use it to play games on work time LOL. I wondered if they used it as a town planning aid to sketch out possible layouts for new housing developments, business parks, etc. I guess not.

paul4work

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
DRM? Multi-player?

That's a big NO for the single game I'd have been willing to spend my money on.

I have NO interest in multi-player. NONE. One of the most important times to be able to crack open my MBPro and play a game, is on an airplane. With persistent DRM, that's out of the question.

This is NOT the development I've hoped for. I've hoped and hoped for an update that would run on a modern Mac... and am now so sorely disappointed.

CreeVn

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Prices are posted on the sim city website. $59.99 and $79.99. Available for preorder now. Can't wait!!

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Does anyone know, if EA will publish the game on the MAS? I don't think so, but I hope...

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Can't wait for this. I'll have to buy 2 copies since the GF wants to play also lol.

Oh and I got SimTower (Yoot Tower) last night for the ipad and can't put it down! :D

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Sadly, I'm not getting my hopes up. It is EA, after all.

* Looks like this will be enforced multi-player. No single-player option.

* City sizes are apparently fairly small, maybe a half of what previous versions have been.

* Probable dumbed-down player controls

Sigh.

It does *look* fantastic, actually quite close to what I'd been hoping to see... 10 years ago.

Hey, if it beats my low expectations, I'll spring for it. But recent history doesn't give me much hope.

And In-App Purchase Galore!

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I've waited for this since high school. Now I'm in grad school. Hopefully it lives up to expectations!

Looks like a really great new version, and native on the Mac of course. I'll definitely buy it upon release, more than 15 years after last playing SimCity on my Quadra 605..! ;)

----------

Well, if this is the case, forget what I said above. I do NOT want to play what is mainly a single-player game that should NOT require constant Internet connection.

EA, you'd better revisit this before releasing it!

DuffCal

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
Just wanted to verify that I will be able to run SimCity on my MacBook Pro. Does it look like I will be able to run it? I have attached my MacBook spec along with the requirements for SimCity.

Thanks in advance!

My MacBook

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-06%20at%209.29.32%20PM.png

Required Specs

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-07%20at%2012.47.56%20PM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.