Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Hey people, are the iPhone 5's worth it?

I have an old iPhone4 that I'm happy with and I'm out of contract with AT&T. Since I live and work in buildings that have AT&T antennas above them, I know I'm going to stick with AT&T for the next two years. Therefore, it makes sense for me to sell my existing iPhone 4 for $200 and either

1) buy a new iPhone 4 for $0 (and pocket the 200)

or

2) buy the new iPhone 5 with the 200.

I don't care about Siri, the camera, or the increased size of the iPhone 5. Frankly, I'm even a little worried about the aluminum scuffing on the iphone 5 and I'm annoyed about the adaptor change. Yet obviously it's a newer phone that won't be obsolete, etc. etc.

For those who bought the iphone 5, which option would you recommend? Thanks guys!

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
if anything split the difference and get a 4s. Though battery life is pretty bad on it. 4 is the best amongst them.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
5 is best among them. Best performance, most durability (yes it'll scratch but it won't break nearly as fast), best battery life, best screen, thinnest, lightest, best antenna, has LTE, etc etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
You would be absolutely foolish to lock yourself into a 2 year contract on the iPhone 4. I would just be mad opening up at iPhone 4 at this point knowing I had to use it for 2 years but that is just me.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
5 is best among them. Best performance, most durability (yes it'll scratch but it won't break nearly as fast), best battery life, best screen, thinnest, lightest, best antenna, has LTE, etc etc etc.

Umm...he doesn't care about the screen or siri.

Why would he go with the iPhone 5?

The iPhone 4 still works fine.

People that NEED to upgrade every year...you know are atypical.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Decisions, decisions !

Do I wear jeans today or shorts !

Do i buy this or that.

Man go with your gut feeling !

I always do....

For me i use the 4s and will upgrade to the 5 when stock is available.
Thats my own decision.

:rolleyes:

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Umm...he doesn't care about the screen or siri.
Never said a single word about Siri. I wasn't referring to the fact that the screen is larger. Simply put, the iPhone 5 has the best screen because of the color accuracy and sharpness, even when put next to other top contenders such as the Galaxy S3. It's a better screen than the one that ships with the iPhone 4. It's a big bonus at the minimum if he still doesn't care.

Why would he go with the iPhone 5?
I already went over this.

Better performance.
Better screen.
Better battery life.
Better reception (especially over the iPhone 4's antenna which sports a faulty design).
More future proof (more on this point later).
More software features.
Thinner.
Lighter.
Better camera.
Better connectivity (LTE, DC-HSPA+, etc.)

The iPhone 4 still works fine.
No, it doesn't. A lot of features of iOS 6 were omitted, with the vast majority of the ones that were not omitted performing in a subpar manner inconsistent with standards generally set by the usual iPhone owner. This is only year one if he decides to buy an iPhone 4. What's going to happen year two with iOS7? How about year three with iOS8? He's going to be left in the dark as his phone's performance deteriorates with each update as he misses out on more features on a bi-annual basis.

People that NEED to upgrade every year...you know are atypical.
Seeing as the iPhone 4 is over two years old, I would hardly call it "every year." There is also nothing wrong with the people that want to upgrade every year. These people earn their money and spend it as they choose. Are you going to be their instant financial advisor and demand that their spendings be altered based on your standards of normality? Trying to argue that outdated technology already on its last legs with a cloudy future is a wise purchase over current-/next-generation technology is more akin to the definition of atypicality.

In conclusion: OP, get an iPhone 5.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Get a 5. I was sceptical about upgrading from a 4 to a 5, but it's like night and day. Everything just seems so much quicker on the 5 - I was changing the wallpaper last night, on the 4 it would take 2-3 secs, now it does it instantly.
Little things like that make a huge difference.

Get the 5 and don't look back.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
The camera is better. Read the specs. Just because the MP didn't change doesn't mean the camera didn't change.

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
My last iPhone was the 4, and my 5 is a million times better. You think your 4 is great, and it is a great phone, but everything about the 5 is better and faster and will last you longer. Seriously go with a 5 bro.

Manta-X

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2012
My last iPhone was the 4, and my 5 is a million times better. You think your 4 is great, and it is a great phone, but everything about the 5 is better and faster and will last you longer. Seriously go with a 5 bro.

What he said. Go with the 5!!

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
In the past 24 hours, at least three people have started a NEW message thread with the same question. Is it that hard to scroll down the page and join existing threads?

And by the way, half of America still does not have any type of smartphone.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Hey people, are the iPhone 5's worth it?

I have an old iPhone4 that I'm happy with and I'm out of contract with AT&T. Since I live and work in buildings that have AT&T antennas above them, I know I'm going to stick with AT&T for the next two years. Therefore, it makes sense for me to sell my existing iPhone 4 for $200 and either

1) buy a new iPhone 4 for $0 (and pocket the 200)

or

2) buy the new iPhone 5 with the 200.

I don't care about Siri, the camera, or the increased size of the iPhone 5. Frankly, I'm even a little worried about the aluminum scuffing on the iphone 5 and I'm annoyed about the adaptor change. Yet obviously it's a newer phone that won't be obsolete, etc. etc.

For those who bought the iphone 5, which option would you recommend? Thanks guys!

Do you want a phone that everyone has pretty much kicked to the curb? The scuffing is non-existant on the white one and hard to do on the black one, people blew it out of proportion. If the smaller charger really bothers you that much then get the 4s or nothing because from this point on every mobile apple product (ipad iphone ipod touch) will have the lightning charger. Siri isn't a killer feature but you'll probably forget it was there, if you truly feel like you can last another 2 years on an obsolete phone then go ahead.

iClive

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2012
UK
In the past 24 hours, at least three people have started a NEW message thread with the same question. Is it that hard to scroll down the page and join existing threads?
or is it because a lot of people are undecided about the iphone 5?

----------

if you truly feel like you can last another 2 years on an obsolete phone then go ahead
iphone 4 is by no means obsolete

iClive

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2012
UK
maybe some people like to have 200 bucks left in their pocket
I agree, and although nobody on here knows me, trust me I'm not an idiot but am sufficiently underwhelmed so far by the iPhone 5 not to dash out there and buy one. My iPhone 4 is still perfectly up to the job for what I use it for.

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
you don't have to sign up for a new contract. If your phone is working fine stick with it until the iPhone 5s. N I'm sure your grown enough to make your own decisions.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I agree, and although nobody on here knows me, trust me I'm not an idiot but am sufficiently underwhelmed so far by the iPhone 5 not to dash out there and buy one. My iPhone 4 is still perfectly up to the job for what I use it for.

I never cease to be amazed at people who don't think the iPhone 5 is a major upgrade. What would you consider to be a major update?

Everything is new and improved. LTE speed blows 3G out of the water. AT&T coverage might stink, but Verizon's coverage is pretty extensive.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
if anything split the difference and get a 4s. Though battery life is pretty bad on it. 4 is the best amongst them.

This is exactly what I was gonna say. If you cant decide between the 4 and 5, get the middle man, the 4S.

And battery life isn't bad for mine. I get well over 9 hours usage, with about 25-26 hours of standby. Maybe I got lucky?

But if you're signing onto a 2 yr contract, it might make sense to just get the newest phone, the 5. But don't feel bad getting the 4S, it's an amazing phone. So amazing that I'm keeping mine til the next iPhone. :D

----------

I never cease to be amazed at people who don't think the iPhone 5 is a major upgrade. What would you consider to be a major update?

Everything is new and improved. LTE speed blows 3G out of the water. AT&T coverage might stink, but Verizon's coverage is pretty extensive.

It is surely an upgrade. But not enough for me to upgrade. I have a 4S. I think the 5 is a major update if you are coming from a 3GS, or a 4.

The differences between the 4S and 5 (besides physical differences) are minute. Look at the various side by side tests on YouTube. I never cease to be amazed at all the people that upgrade to the newest iPhone and then trash previous models. Just because you upgraded, doesn't mean the whole world wants to.

iClive

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2012
UK
It may be a bit of a shock to you, but not every potential iPhone owner lives in the USA :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.