Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captainamerica

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Hello,

I want to use my iPhone5 as the WAN source for my wireless/wired network at home. Right now, I have the router set up in repeater-bridge mode, and my router connects to my iPhone5, and shares internet with the rest of my network... wonderful!

The only drawback is... my iPhone5 can't connect to the wireless network when it's *not* in personal hotspot mode. Without going into too much detail, there are a few apps that I use regularly which require the iPhone5 to be a part of my home network (for controlling HTPC's and lightswitches and the such).

Is there another possible network configuration that will allow my iPhone to be the WAN connection for my router, AND allow it to join the network as a client? I am NOT looking for simultaneous dual-function... I just want my iPhone to join my wireless network as a client when hotspot is turned off, and act as a WAN source when hotspot is turned on.

Thanks for reading

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have no idea what you are talking about, though I suppose this is how some people hit 90+gb of data usage, while I am struggling to break the 1gb cap every month due to my country's crappy 3g infrastructure. :p

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota
Turn on the hotspot and connect your computer to it.
Then go into network adapters and share the iPhone connection with your Ethernet LAN.
Hook up your computer to your router with Ethernet.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
So why not just punish the bad eggs?

That's what I ask about everything, not just with data usage. People in power are too lazy anymore to weed out the wrongdoers and would rather just punish everyone.

dxerboy

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Is there another possible network configuration that will allow my iPhone to be the WAN connection for my router, AND allow it to join the network as a client? I am NOT looking for simultaneous dual-function... I just want my iPhone to join my wireless network as a client when hotspot is turned off, and act as a WAN source when hotspot is turned on.

Thanks for reading
Sounds like you're using dd-wrt or tomato to trick out your router. I've fooled around with that a bit and perhaps the answer lies in the fact that with most configurations you can't have a router both "receiving" wi-fi, i.e. from your iPhone, and serving up a wi-fi network at the same time.

I think there's a setting to do both but it cuts the speeds in half or some such thing... prob wouldn't bottleneck anything tho.

I'm not sure how you're set up of course--are all your other devices hardwired in to the ethernet ports of the router?

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Its his phone... He can do what he wants with it.

Don't be petty

It's not being petty. Unlimited data was always intended just for your phone, not for everything else. It was people like this that cost us unlimited plans.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
It's not being petty. Unlimited data was always intended just for your phone, not for everything else. It was people like this that cost us unlimited plans.

I believe in consumer rights. The large corporations prey on the average person. However, I absolutely agree with you on this point.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Not his fault... If you dont like something then do something about it.

Easy to blame... Harder to act!

Yes, it's absolutely his fault. Whose fault do you think it is? He is not using it as intended.

And what am I supposed to do about it? Go to his house and ask him not to do it?

Aug 5, 2012
Yes, it's absolutely his fault. Whose fault do you think it is? He is not using it as intended.

And what am I supposed to do about it? Go to his house and ask him not to do it?

Dont play the blame game... Be the bigger person and deal with your carrier if you're unhappy.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I see the OP has not come back here, but lots of others have comments.

Personally, I can not figure out what he is trying to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.