Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 5 screen click down

• Rock Solid

Votes: 184 65.2%
  • Top Right corner

Votes: 28 9.9%
  • Top Left corner

Votes: 25 8.9%
  • Bottom Right corner

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Bottom Left corner

Votes: 35 12.4%

• Total voters

alphabetagaga

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Hitchin, UK
but the apple staff told me, the replacement phones are all refurbished phones
not the case if you have ordered online. my first turned up with a fault and i have a brand new replacement on the way :)

----------

There’s a bit difference between rock solid, and not quite rock solid. And I think if you have this issue, and it’s bothering you, you should take it into the store.
couldn't agree more. especially after handing over £600 for a device.

Bret7699

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
refurbished replacements??

When I first bought my New iPad, it was dented right out of the box. I brought it back the next day and they gave me a brand new one still in the original box with shrink wrap. I would hope they do the same thing for my phone, since it is only 3 days old.

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
I just got back from the store. They couldn't do an exchange coz they don't have any phones in stock. and they told me they don't know when they are getting more phones, which I don't believe. the apple staff that answered my questions were not very helpful at all. it seemed I know more than he does.
anyhow, all the replacement phones are refurb (thats your replacement phone comes in a white box) but if you do an exchange, they will have to pull a brand new retail packaging phone from the stock.
so im just going to make peace with it.

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
When I first bought my New iPad, it was dented right out of the box. I brought it back the next day and they gave me a brand new one still in the original box with shrink wrap. I would hope they do the same thing for my phone, since it is only 3 days old.

coz you did an exchange with your iPad. You could very well do the same thing with iPhone. but they have to have new phones in stock to do an exchange for you. otherwise if you go through the apple genius bar services they can only do replacement, which is the refurbished phones that come in a white box .

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
coz you did an exchange with your iPad. You could very well do the same thing with iPhone. but they have to have new phones in stock to do an exchange for you. otherwise if you go through the apple genius bar services they can only do replacement, which is the refurbished phones that come in a white box .

FYI - phones in the plain boxes are not necessarily refurbished. I got a replacement iPhone 4 at one point and when they brought out a plain box, I asked if I was getting a refurbished product and they said no. It's likely they just make some in the plain boxes for replacement purposes/cut costs where possible.

That said, that old replacement iPhone 4 had this issue with the loose screen. It bothered me at first, but I just got used to it and didn't really notice it after awhile. It seemed to even lessen a bit over time. It wasn't under warranty at that point, so I guess I didn't have much of a choice but to deal with it.

Bret7699

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Apple store visit

Ok, so I made an appt and went to the apple store. The first guy tried to reset the screen and it didn't really feel like it fixed the problem, but the guy insisted that it was fixed.

I left the store and started to walk around the mall. I felt the clicking again and went back to the store. I met with a different guy and he felt the clicking, so he said he would try to reset it again. It failed again for the second time. So, the guy ordered me a replacement phone, which he promised would not be a refurbished phone. Since I ordered my phone from apple, he said that I could place the exchange with them and I would get a new phone in the box and send my old one back. I opted to have them order me the phone and get it without the box.

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
FYI - phones in the plain boxes are not necessarily refurbished. I got a replacement iPhone 4 at one point and when they brought out a plain box, I asked if I was getting a refurbished product and they said no. It's likely they just make some in the plain boxes for replacement purposes/cut costs where possible.

That said, that old replacement iPhone 4 had this issue with the loose screen. It bothered me at first, but I just got used to it and didn't really notice it after awhile. It seemed to even lessen a bit over time. It wasn't under warranty at that point, so I guess I didn't have much of a choice but to deal with it.

well yet again different people have different answers. When I had my iphone 4 replaced it was indeed an refurbished phone. and this time with iPhone 5, I asked the apple staff about the replacement phone. he told me the replacement phones are all refurbished.

see this seems to be the problem. apple staff just tell what we want to hear. they told you your replacement iPhone 4 was brand new coz they want you to be happy with it. and they didnt want me to want to do replacement so they told me the replacements are refurbished to discourage me from getting an replacement. honestly thats what i get out of this.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
Lower left clicking here…

You folks should just ride the phone and test out the durability of the entire device for a while before exchanging it just for a little click sound—you never know when a small ding or other user error may occur and then you can claim "click defect" to swap it out.

If you have a dog, consider it a feature for getting their attention. If you have a cat, sorry.

01blu-gsr

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
My iPhone has this issue with the top right and bottom right corners and nearly all the way down the right side.
I once had an iPod touch 2nd gen. that did the same exact thing, eventually dust and dirt got under the glass. So I exchanged it after about nine months.
I also have heard of others with the same issue on the iPhone 5 and been able to get it exchanged with out a problem.
I think I will keep this phone for a while and exchange it later.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
man I just got mine today and it's doing it from the bottom left towards the middle of the screen above the home button.

the casing seems fine though.

grrr argh,

does anything think it's just adhesive ?

maybe i'll try to love it with a blow dryer for a few minutes..

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Nope not at all

----------

Id say if you guys have a very slight click maybe not enough to really bother you (depending on how OCD you are) you can use that as a excuse to get a free replacement if you do scratch up your phone bad or some other reason

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
If you're already clicking I would be careful. People's phones are bending in their hands with no force. Very scary times ahead for Apple.

Haricher

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Bottom right corner clicking

My 16GB black preorder iPhone was clicking at the right bottom corner ever since I received it, even with light pressure. It became very annoying and made the construction feel cheap. I was worried it would get worse in the future. It would only happen 4-5 times per day but it was unpredictable. I could not see the screen depress but it made a click.
I went to the Apple store 2 days ago but they said I needed an appointment. I made an appointment online and went back today. I could not reproduce the clicking and the store was too noisy to hear it anyway. The genius person took it to the back and said he noticed it clicking once. He said he opened it up and nothing was wrong inside and he tightened the screws up. He said it was not a major issue and he had seen worse examples. He offered a replacement phone but said he could not guarantee the new one would not have the same issue.
I asked for the replacement and he brought out a white box in shrink wrap with just a phone inside, and he swapped out my SIM Card. I started the restore from iCloud and erased my old phone. He was very nice about it. They didn't even ask for my receipt or where I bought it.
The new phone looks perfect, no scratches or dings. It still had the front and back plastic on it. I did not ask if it was refurbished because I was just happy to get another phone. It is very solid so far, no clicking at all.
Overall positive experience with the exchange.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
So if I go in and exchange it for a new device does that mean I can no longer return it? I think I've read that on here.

The only reason I ask is that, this is my first iPhone and I'm not exactly sure I want to keep it for the next two years. (more about iOS than the clicking)

I know I really don't want to go through the whole reservation thing again either.

----------

Well it doesn't look like glue at all, it looks like some clips attach the whole front display along the side of the frame. I'm not exactly sure how that can't be done right but if the clips weren't straight maybe they just don't catch right.

Unless it's something actually in the front glass piece and the it's metal back plate that are moving?

Either way, mine is annoying, it clicks loudly above the home button and lower left corner back and forth. Kind of like when you're on a wobbly chair and can't get it set right, that's what it reminds me of.

YaCBJWduYL5Va3Rs.medium

Last edited:

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Actually noticed that if I shake my phone a little there's something loose inside towards the top, it just sounds like something really small not connected to something all the way. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Anyway, the genius appointment has been made for today at 2:30, I'll see what they can do.

frozzbite

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
I have that the creaking on the bottom right corner. I didn't want the genius bar to replace it so i asked if they could just open it and tighten something, which they did. Though the genius said that there isn't anything to tighten, he will just try to close it tighter. To be fair, he did recommend a swap. But the thought of buying a new screen protector and the risk of getting a phone with other problems just turned me off.

You see, during my previous swap, the genius opened 7 boxes of iPhone 5s because every single one had a dent or a scuff or a scratch straight out of the box. The one i got is just the better of the lot with a couple of marks on the side...... and it creaks. So basically our odds of getting that Perfect iPhone 5 is just that low.

Anyway, about 20 mins after leaving the apple store, the squeaking came back. But more subtle this time. Damn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.