Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gagugagu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
So I'm planning on selling my 32gb iphone 5 for the 16gb once I get it (long story but that doesnt matter.)

And I was wondering, will 16gb be enough for me?

Currently have 7.46gb of music in iTunes. And after cleaning it, it could be at around 7-7.2gbs.

With apps, I plan to just have these

Super Hexagon
IB2
tiny wings
Fruit Ninja
ski safari
agent dash
twitter
instagram
facebook
chrome
2 camera apps

and I barely take pictures/videos. and when i do, i always export then delete.

so, will a 16gb be enough??

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012

Super Hexagon
IB2
tiny wings
Fruit Ninja
ski safari
agent dash
twitter
instagram
facebook
chrome
2 camera apps

so, will a 16gb be enough??[/QUOTE]
If you barely take pictures /videos why do you have 2 camera apps plus Instagram... 8)

gagugagu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010

Super Hexagon
IB2
tiny wings
Fruit Ninja
ski safari
agent dash
twitter
instagram
facebook
chrome
2 camera apps

If you barely take pictures /videos why do you have 2 camera apps plus Instagram... 8)[/QUOTE]

thats why. :)

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Yes...if your idea of Fun is micro managing the contents on your iphone...go for 32 to be safe.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
So I'm planning on selling my 32gb iphone 5 for the 16gb once I get it (long story but that doesnt matter.)

And I was wondering, will 16gb be enough for me?

Currently have 7.46gb of music in iTunes. And after cleaning it, it could be at around 7-7.2gbs.

Super Hexagon
IB2
tiny wings
Fruit Ninja
ski safari
agent dash
twitter
instagram
facebook
chrome
2 camera apps

Yes, it can be enough. I've done fine with 16g, and I like apps but manage my data.

Documents, pdfs, etc, can be managed through icloud or dropbox.

You can make a photo workflow with dropbox or iphoto streams that pushes them off the phone to your home computer, you can even automate this process.

I'd never fit my entire music collection on the phone, but you can pre-build playlists or album lists to keep a reasonable selection of music, or stream via cloud, spotify, itunes match. I went from a large large ipod to just moving around with a selection of music and podcasts, more than enough to get by.

My only question is resale value, I can't tell for sure but it seems like the larger ones cost more upfront but might hold their value better in the secondary market.

What mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Northern Ireland uk
i have 16gb 4s and the memory is fine, like the earlier post you dont need to carry your complete iTunes with you, you have what 600+ songs!!!
if your worried about the storage then why sell the 32gb for 16gb??????

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Of course 16gb isn't enough! It's not even 16GB it's 13.4GB. Most people get 16GB model because it's the cheapest one. Sooner or later most of them discover they have very limited amouint of available storage... 32GB should be minimum and again it's also not 32GB but 28.2GB available to the user. Apple should stop producing 16GB model and start to offer 32/64/128GB models only.

gagugagu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
i have 16gb 4s and the memory is fine, like the earlier post you dont need to carry your complete iTunes with you, you have what 600+ songs!!!
if your worried about the storage then why sell the 32gb for 16gb??????

again, its a long story. well not really just too lazy to explain. haha. :p

Of course 16gb isn't enough! It's not even 16GB it's 13.4GB. Most people get 16GB model because it's the cheapest one. Sooner or later most of them discover they have very limited amouint of available storage... 32GB should be minimum and again it's also not 32GB but 28.2GB available to the user. Apple should stop producing 16GB model and start to offer 32/64/128GB models only.

13gbs is quite a lot. When I'm done with deleting songs, i think i'll have about 7gb. 6gbs of apps is quite a lot already- i would assume so. but i am planning on buying the new ipod touch/nano one day. So I think I kinda answered my own question. haha

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
i was always swapping music etc on itunes with my 16gb ip4

32 at least but 64 if you have a big music collection / want to have some sizeable games on there

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I have a huge iTunes collection.

But with itunes Match and Spotify I don't need the space.

I wish they offered an 8GB version.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
64GB for me and if they sold a 128GB version I'd probably buy that too.

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
again, its a long story. well not really just too lazy to explain. haha. :p

13gbs is quite a lot. When I'm done with deleting songs, i think i'll have about 7gb. 6gbs of apps is quite a lot already- i would assume so. but i am planning on buying the new ipod touch/nano one day. So I think I kinda answered my own question. haha

Again why not get iTunes Match? You wouldn't have to have any of your library stored on the phone. I have the 32GB, 17GB music library, 4MB of music is on the phone.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
It's only a $100 difference. Unless you are scraping by (which in that case you shouldn't have an iPhone anyways) I would just keep the 32. To me it's not worth all the micro managing you'll be doing on the phone with a 16gb. Especially if you plan on keeping it for more than a year.

gagugagu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Again why not get iTunes Match? You wouldn't have to have any of your library stored on the phone. I have the 32GB, 17GB music library, 4MB of music is on the phone.

im from the philippines, and the 3g network here is pretty bad. :p so streaming stuff on the go really isnt a great option. haha

It's only a $100 difference. Unless you are scraping by (which in that case you shouldn't have an iPhone anyways) I would just keep the 32. To me it's not worth all the micro managing you'll be doing on the phone with a 16gb. Especially if you plan on keeping it for more than a year.

i dont think i'll be doing that much micro managing. i remember having the 3g and all i had there was like... fruit ninja. its only now that im starting to expand on apps. haha.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I always say NO -- 16 is far too little.

The reality is, out of the box, you get something like 13 with the OS and whatnot consuming the rest. If you have 7.x GB of music, this leaves you with, call it, 5-6GB left. This is fine if you never intend on expanding your music selection or downloading additional apps... for me personally, this was not nearly enough. I love my 4s dearly... so much so that I could have kept it and been fine except I NEEDED more space. My phone is so much more to me than a phone. For me it's an iPod, camera, video camera, email machine ;), and I can talk to people on it!

I was CONSTANTLY getting the little prompt about running out of space... The second time my video of my kid was cut short, that was it. 64GB was the only option.

Everyone's use varies though. My wife now has my 4s and doesn't put any music on it and few apps. For her, as of now, it's perfect.

Sounds like you may want to do yourself a favor and go 32GB

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Personally came from an iPhone 4 with 16 GB to an iPhone 5 with 32 GB. It's nice to have that extra room when you need it. BTW this should have a poll up top.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The extra space from a 32gb phone can be handy if you need to film long videos. I once recorded myself teaching in my classroom on my iphone 4s - 45 minutes of footage already took up over 7gb! Had I been on a 16gb phone, that would have left me with barely 200mb of storage for the day.

However, if you don't plan on storing any music or videos on it, 16gb would more than suffice, and actually prove to be the most economical option. :)

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Unless the motivation for doing this is a financial issue, keep the 32GB.

You can never have too much space, but you can certainly have too little.

The only reason I went from a 4 to a 4s was to get 64GB, so I could always carry my 45GB music collection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.