Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's minds that Apple should have included the adapter in the box. This is one of those things that makes Apple look like a bunch of greedy bastards. They are one of the most profitable companies ever and can't include a adapter that probably cost them $2.00..

Thats is i'm calling apple to tell them that..

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
To those people complaining about the high price:
The new port is all digital (I know most of you don't even know what that means, as an infamous ad illustrates), the old one was a wild mixture of analog and digital pins. That means to guarantee support for every 30 pin accessory, The adapter needs to contain

1. a chip that translates what the 30-pin connector needs to what the 8-pin connector needs to do (note that the connector is adaptive, so that might not be a trivial task)
2. a few D/A converters (three I think, two for audio and one for video).

That is also why this seemingly huge adapter has been marketed as "small". There actually is some stuff going on in that little box, as the connectors are fundamentally different.

However, the price is indeed too high. While 29 USD seems to be the usual Apple price, the adapter should not be sold at that Apple price. Apple changed the connector and millions of people are pissed. They should either ship the iPhone 5 with an adapter or significantly lower the price. The money would have been well invested in happy customers.

Last edited:

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Hopefully these items can be posted through the door to hole adapter ('Letterbox'). The clever thing about Letterbox is that you can shove things through it in either orientation. More traditionally, Doorbell and Knocker can be used to gain the attention of the occupier of the delivery address, but Letterbox is a faster and more efficient delivery method.

Excellent points. Don't forget the added privacy, security and weather neutralization benefits that Letterbox brings over the older Doorstep Drop method.

----------

.2 meter cable? Would it kill them to make it a whole 12"?

Then they'd get complaints from the 'metric system' enforcement agency in the EU and have to supply numerous conversion charts, etc. Also, it would touch off a whole new round of 'Android vs. iOS' chatter.

P.S. I passed up on the obligatory "that's what she said" line.... until now.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Absolutely no legitimate excuse why Apple didn't bundle one of these with the new iPhone. I'm going to cut my nose off to spite my face on this one, and use my old iPhone 4 docked at home and in car.

But then, hardly surprising given Apple continue to give the EU Commission the middle finger by charging the consumer an additional €20 for the Lightning-microUSB adapter that they are required by law to provide.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Absolutely no legitimate excuse why Apple didn't bundle one of these with the new iPhone. I'm going to cut my nose off to spite my face on this one, and use my old iPhone 4 docked at home and in car.

But then, hardly surprising given Apple continue to give the EU Commission the middle finger by charging the consumer an additional €20 for the Lightning-microUSB adapter that they are required by law to provide.

Then again, there are those of us who think it's absolutely ridiculous that a multi-national economic consortium (the EU Commission) is able to mandate the inclusion of a cable/adapter in a free market product...

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Then again, there are those of us who think it's absolutely ridiculous that a multi-national economic consortium (the EU Commission) is able to mandate the inclusion of a cable/adapter in a free market product...

This.

Whatever happened to letting the market decide? If people don't like the way Apple gouges us, they are free to use a competitors products.

The fact the EU is micro-managing businesses like this that are not monopolies is stunning.

RickNY

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2012
1. a chip that translates what the 30-pin connector needs to what the 8-pin connector needs to do (note that the connector is adaptive, so that might not be a trivial task)
2. a few D/A converters (three I think, two for audio and one for video).

That is also why this seemingly huge adapter has been marketed as "small". There actually is some stuff going on in that little box, as the connectors are fundamentally different.

Yes, the price is more than it should be -- but then again, they are also charging $19 for a simple charging cable.

And you are absolutely correct in saying that the adapter is not a simple physical pin to pin adapter.. The Lightning connector is adaptive, so both the phone and the accessory have to use some sort of handshake when its connected to determine which pins on the Lightning adapter are going to do what..

Also - there is a DAC in the adapter -- however, as Apple states, it will not do video.. They will release another adapter that does that, but I suspect it will only do digital video (i.e Lightning to HDMI), although I also read they were coming out with a Lightning to VGA adapter, and VGA is an analog signal. If they do come up with a Lightning to VGA adapter, I suspect that will be quite pricey.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I just bought the 5. I didn't realize this. I'm Shocked others just don't care about this

----------

Pound my hole once shame on you, pound it twice shame on me

Your post is kinda of vexing to me, but it's your signature that really stopped me in my tracks.

I laughed out loud, without understanding exactly what the heck that's supposed to mean.

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
For al the price complainers
This adapter contains a chip... so the 30 dollars is more than worth it...
It's not just a simpel rewiring box.

Does it smell nice? Being that far up Apple Executives' a*******? $29 for an adapter is a rip off. I don't care if it contains diamond plated connectors. It's a rip off.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
This.

Whatever happened to letting the market decide? If people don't like the way Apple gouges us, they are free to use a competitors products.

The fact the EU is micro-managing businesses like this that are not monopolies is stunning.

Of course, most of us in the EU think the exact opposite about everything in the US.

I don't think we're going to agree on that.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
They should either ship the iPhone 5 with an adapter or significantly lower the price.

My opinion is that they originally intended to ship one with the 5, hence the wording of the option to buy a second adaptor when buying an iPhone 5 direct from Apple. I think they just weren't ready in time and pulled them from the description of the iPhone 5 itself and forgot to reword the accessory order description.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
So how are people planning on using the (non-cable) adapter with docks? Maybe I'm over-estimating the size, but it looks like it would raise the phone above most support backplates, no? I wouldn't really want my phone supported by nothing but the connector.

Unless I hack together a little back extender (shouldn't be too hard since the new phone is thinner), I'm considering just waiting until third-parties make ones with casings that have built-in support.

Or am I completely wrong about the fit in current docks?

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So how are people planning on using the (non-cable) adapter with docks? Maybe I'm over-estimating the size, but it looks like it would raise the phone above most support backplates, no? I wouldn't really want my phone supported by nothing but the connector.

Or am I completely wrong about the fit in current docks?

I am starting by only buying the 0.2 m adapter for my car because the 30-Pin proprietary nissan cable is very short.

Not wrong, some docks don't, some do.

As for my sound dock, it has a tall back plate... but since it is the Zeppelin Air by Bowers and Wilkins, I can use AirPlay until I get the adapter.

Plus, the white adapter would look awkward on the Zeppelin, so I hope a black or silver version is released. A B&W Rep told me they licensed the lightning connector from Apple and may design an adapter to match their sounddocks. I will hold out to see if that is true, even if it is slightly more expensive.

Zeppelin-Air.jpg

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009

Damn them for saving us money. DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.