Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphreak2011

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
I was wondering if anyone knew of any third party manufacturers that are making this yet? I think I recall seeing something about it in a post somewhere.

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I know your comment is in jest, but let's just hope the iPhones and iPods stay snugly in place with these adapters, when docked in iHomes, Zeppelins, etc. We don't need another 'controversy' stirred up by the anti-APPLE camp.

Why does it have to be the anti-Apple camp? How about just the anti-crap camp.

Those Galaxy III/iPhone 5 'waiting in line' commercials are looking less and less funny and more truthful all the time.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's minds that Apple should have included the adapter in the box. This is one of those things that makes Apple look like a bunch of greedy bastards. They are one of the most profitable companies ever and can't include a adapter that probably cost them $2.00..

Thats it i'm calling apple to tell them that..

However, the price is indeed too high. While 29 USD seems to be the usual Apple price, the adapter should not be sold at that Apple price. Apple changed the connector and millions of people are pissed. They should either ship the iPhone 5 with an adapter or significantly lower the price. The money would have been well invested in happy customers.

Should've been included in the box. Greedy Bastards.

Apple should be ashamed of those prices.
i'm with you guys on this. i think Apple had $$ in their eyes though when they realized almost everyone would need one of these adapters.

again, shame on you apple.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Doesn't matter when they're shipping the things. The fact is, each one is a tiny rip off.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Doesn't matter when they're shipping the things. The fact is, each one is a tiny rip off.

And Apple has purposely retarded the development and production of 3rd party Lightening-enabled iPhone accessories too. So people have no choice but to buy these adaptors if they want to use iPhone accessories. If Apple had enabled 3rd party accessory makers to get their Lightening accessories to market, Apple would have lost money.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Whatever happened to letting the people decide ? If Apple don't like the way the people in the EU rule their countries, they are free to try and sell their products elsewhere.

Do they mandate what kind of prize is contained inside the cracker jack box? Do they insist that all cars have a CD player AND an a usb connection in their radios? Do they mandate that all toasters must have adjustable slots for every common size of bread?

Also, the fact is that not everyone needs or wants an adapter - so how much expense and waste will there be by including it with every single product.

And a year from now, when new docking station are all over the market with the new connections, will the EU stop requiring an adapter for the 'old' style docks?

It just seems like an odd thing for any goverment agency to be sticking their nose into.

Also, for that guy who sarcastically said 'how dare they force them to give us a free connector with it' - I have to point out that if you force a company to include something additional in their product, they will go ahead and raise the price accordingly.

or ... does the EU mandate what prices everything can sell for as well?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Do they mandate what kind of prize is contained inside the cracker jack box? Do they insist that all cars have a CD player AND an a usb connection in their radios? Do they mandate that all toasters must have adjustable slots for every common size of bread?

Also, the fact is that not everyone needs or wants an adapter - so how much expense and waste will there be by including it with every single product.

And a year from now, when new docking station are all over the market with the new connections, will the EU stop requiring an adapter for the 'old' style docks?

It just seems like an odd thing for any goverment agency to be sticking their nose into.

Also, for that guy who sarcastically said 'how dare they force them to give us a free connector with it' - I have to point out that if you force a company to include something additional in their product, they will go ahead and raise the price accordingly.

or ... does the EU mandate what prices everything can sell for as well?

That's a very American point of view. Because Americans believe that their government was installed by aliens. Europeans on the other hand believe that they live in democracy and their elected governments work for them trying to improve their living (which they do).

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
That's a very American point of view. Because Americans believe that their government was installed by aliens. Europeans on the other hand believe that they live in democracy and their elected governments work for them trying to improve their living (which they do).

But wouldn't you as a consumer like to make the choice of what kind of product you buy? If the EU is mandating things some individuals don't want or need, then all they're doing is adding cost and waste. How exactly is that 'improving their living'?

Making Apple add an adaptor, and therefore adding $30 to the price of every phone and ipod touch, is 'improving their living?'.

I don't see how questioning that is an 'American' point of view. I'm just trying to understand your logic.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Marginally bigger screen with light creep
Purple flare camera
Scratched cases
Crap maps
No 4G compatibility (on UK O2 and Vodafone)
And finally...a wee connector/cabl with no immediate backward compatibility

Happy with that? Now you're no longer post-launch hysterical and can see things in a calm atmosphere ..... Can you still justify getting one despite the above? Thank goodness for that

Well here's

The good news...

It's not going to cost you anything this year to upgrade (cos you've realised the detractions outweigh the benefits and will stick with the existing model)

The bad news...

You'll have to wait another year to get the "sorted" model

The overview:
Even the big guys can get it wrong. All good things come to those who wait.

Let's hope they realise that change for changes sake is not a good thing unless there's a practical reason for it.

In the case of the Lightning '****-socket' the "benefits" certainly won't be justified for a long time yet ... If ever.
The Maps will be improved. Not for 12 months though.
The mark-prone cases will stay so.
The 4G frequency won't be a-changin' for the foreseeable.
The ultra-violet images are here to stay ( despite future attempts to solve by software)

So let us not be negative... Let's say to the Steve-less Apple bosses "Well done for sticking to the phone-change-timetable guys and having a go at releasing 'something'...at least. That's commendable.

But let's all admit it was rushed out to hit the deadline and really could've been a lot better realised. Judge them not on this. But on the next one.

Lightning doesn't strike twice. Only the 30 pin should. Repent now Apple. No Shame in admitting you were wrong.

Thanks!;)

Last edited:

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
i'm with you guys on this. i think Apple had $$ in their eyes though when they realized almost everyone would need one of these adapters.

again, shame on you apple.

BTW I did send Apple some feedback stating that they should have included one adapter with the phone. Not that they care but you never know..

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
But wouldn't you as a consumer like to make the choice of what kind of product you buy? If the EU is mandating things some individuals don't want or need, then all they're doing is adding cost and waste. How exactly is that 'improving their living'?

Making Apple add an adaptor, and therefore adding $30 to the price of every phone and ipod touch, is 'improving their living?'.

I don't see how questioning that is an 'American' point of view. I'm just trying to understand your logic.

You got it completely wrong. EU mandated that all mobile phones should use USB for charging. This way people can reuse their existing AC adapters when they buy a new phone. It's opposite of waste. Apple on the other hand decided that they will still continue providing AC adapter with every new device which is a complete waste. What Apple should have done is to use USB. Besides, they could have provided a simple adapter just for charging which would cost $1 but they did not.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Very excited to get my hands on one of these amazing adapters!

Why is the adapter so freaking big? Where's the minimalism when you need it?!?!

I only need one of these for my iHome clock and I'm afraid the phone will fall off the dock due to the size of the adapter and the angle of the iHome cradle. :(

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
iPhone veterans! Don't forget that when you just want to make still use of some of your old power supplies w shiny new iPhone 5 you'll only need the much cheaper lightning to USB cable. I'll get mine tomorrow for the permanent supply at my nightstand. (All iPhone power supplies—even those shipped w iPhone 3G—will work.)

pablo7

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CA.
OMG! OMG! OMG! Can I call UPS and have them keep it at the hub, so I can go pick it up early morning? Should I go to the UPS hub early in case there are other people already waiting there?

Lol. Just kidding. It's about time. This adapter should have been available on launch day. Oh well.

And it shoulda been free.

----------

For al the price complainers
This adapter contains a chip... so the 30 dollars is more than worth it...
It's not just a simpel rewiring box.

A chip that prolly costs apple 2$ to make.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
You got it completely wrong. EU mandated that all mobile phones should use USB for charging. This way people can reuse their existing AC adapters when they buy a new phone. It's opposite of waste. Apple on the other hand decided that they will still continue providing AC adapter with every new device which is a complete waste. What Apple should have done is to use USB. Besides, they could have provided a simple adapter just for charging which would cost $1 but they did not.

Thanks for the clarification. But I'm guessing that the Lightning to mico-USB adapter charges, and nothing else.

You'll still probably need to get a Lighting to 30-pin adapter if you happen to have an old 30-pin accessory.

mikeybabes

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012

The EU is an expert on waste, in fact they have a black belt in waste. They know more about wasting public money than any other public body. In fact they have not had their accounts signed off again (for the 16th consecutive year).

(Being self employed, it would be interesting to see how long I could get away with that myself.)

Obviously it is far more important to jump on a large electronics manufacturer (in fact the largest in the world in) and tell them they are doing it all wrong, than it is to sort out the complete and utter financial chaos they have overseen.

Americans and Europeans suffer from the same endemic problem.... Politicians.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.