Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Forget that bluetooth wipes out your battery , that thing is ugly! Looks like someone stuck a tupperware container on the doorhandle.
LOL to the tupperware comment. At least they could have chosen better colors. Even a beige or light brown. But bright white, teal, or black? What the heck were they thinking?

Mike

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Are you sure your is passcode locked, not just slide to unlock? I've NEVER been able get in my phone from the slide-to-camera. I can if not enough time (idle 5 min) has passed to engage my passcode, but once my passcode has triggered, I cannot.
This is isolated to you then I think. I cannot get this to happen. I use a 4-digit passcode to unlock my phone. I can take pics but I cannot get to the home screen. Now, as for siri being completely willing to "take me home", I am unimpressed with that. I find that to be a security issue for sure. For me, you'll know my name (first and last) if you tell my phone to take you home but you'll wind up at an old apartment.

Likewise, I don't have my actual home address in my NAV either.
Obviously it does matter, or I wouldn't have asked the question. :rolleyes:

Say somebody you don't know rings your doorbell. As soon as you walk up to the door with the phone in your pocket to ask who it is, it unlocks? Not good. Or what if, as others have pointed out, you're just walking past the door and didn't intend to unlock it? You might not even realize it's unlocked. Also not good.

You can have it auto-lock after unlocking (at least you could on the previous model). That wouldn't help with walking up to the door if someone is outside ringing the doorbell but at least it will re-lock if you accidentally unlock when walking past it.

You can also get notified when the door is unlocked.

I would assume on the new model you can turn off the passive unlocking feature but then you have to use the app to unlock.

Michael

This is the one thing I'd want to be sure of if I were to buy it. I don't want my door unlocked just by passing it, even if I know it is unlocking and I can simply lock it again.

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois
This is isolated to you then I think. I cannot get this to happen. I use a 4-digit passcode to unlock my phone. I can take pics but I cannot get to the home screen. Now, as for siri being completely willing to "take me home", I am unimpressed with that. I find that to be a security issue for sure. For me, you'll know my name (first and last) if you tell my phone to take you home but you'll wind up at an old apartment.

Likewise, I don't have my actual home address in my NAV either.

This is the one thing I'd want to be sure of if I were to buy it. I don't want my door unlocked just by passing it, even if I know it is unlocking and I can simply lock it again.

I'm saying I cannot get the the home screen, without entering my passcode. Mine works as designed.

You can disable Siri from working is your phone is locked. Settings > Genreal > Passcode Lock > Turn Siri off

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
To all the people that are worried that a robber would "hack" your door or use your stolen phone to get into your house, I have a question for you. Unless you advertise that you have this device on your door, how would that would-be-robber know you have a Lockitron on your door? You're not hanging this thing on the outside, so how would they know unless they were already inside your house? At that point, your robber would either be someone who broke in the old fashioned way, or its someone you probably know.

And sure, the thief would eventually see the app on your phone if they stole it, but if you don't put the app in an obvious spot, like in your tray, then by the time they discovered the app, you would have reset your Lockitron password or wiped the iPhone.

Relax people, like its been said before, if a robber wanted to break into your house bad enough, they will get in. And, if someone "hacked" your door lock with some crazy crypto device, Lockitron would also notify you on your iPhone that your door was unlocked. If you were not expecting someone to enter your home, call the cops.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm saying I cannot get the the home screen, without entering my passcode. Mine works as designed.

You can disable Siri from working is your phone is locked. Settings > Genreal > Passcode Lock > Turn Siri off

AH look at that! All this time ... :)

8ate8

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Central Jersey
They don't give the cleareance needed though, which is kind of important and I don't have much room on my door and the box looks big.

Door handles and deadbolts are supposed to be a set distance from the edge of the door, so unless you built your own custom lock, I don't think it would be a problem.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Because thieves will be randomly going through your neighborhood looking for houses with the off chance that someone may have one of these installed.

If someone wants in your house bad enough, they are going to get in regardless of wether you have one of these or not. :rolleyes:

Way to miss the point. It's ANOTHER avenue to get into your place. Since you are fond of emoticons: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (that's me rolling my eyes at your lack of security knowledge)

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
Way to miss the point. It's ANOTHER avenue to get into your place. Since you are fond of emoticons: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (that's me rolling my eyes at your lack of security knowledge)

Feel better about yourself now? ;)

If you get your undies in a bunch again and feel the need to boost your self-esteem/ego some more resort to PM.

Last edited:

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Service with a smile

I can just see the scenario now: "Hack your front door, sir?"

Obviously a robber can break in. But now a hacker can lock you out. Or just randomly open your door day-in and day-out... What fun.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Only the route is calculated by :apple:Maps and takes the would be burglars off the nearest cliff, after taking them off a motorway overpass, through a reservoir and 200 miles in the wrong direction to a road with the same name as yours in a different state.

Pretty sure. But that was iOS 5. Checked it out on iPhone 5 with iOS 6 today and it worked as it's supposed to. When my wife gets back home with the iPhone 4s, I'll verify since it has since been updated to iOS 6.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Obviously it does matter, or I wouldn't have asked the question. :rolleyes:

Say somebody you don't know rings your doorbell. As soon as you walk up to the door with the phone in your pocket to ask who it is, it unlocks? Not good. Or what if, as others have pointed out, you're just walking past the door and didn't intend to unlock it? You might not even realize it's unlocked. Also not good.

Don't be defensive. I didn't say your question doesn't matter, only that in this situation, the area from which you approach the door doesn't matter.

That said, if the feature doesn't suit your needs, don't use it.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Is this for the US only? I have NO locks on any of my doors that this would fit on.

Where does it obtain it's power? I can imagine many locks that will be too tight for this to work with. What about doors that you need to push slightly to make make the bold easier to slide? Will this do that? No of course not.

This is a solution looking for a problem I think.

I foresee most of these not doing the job intended and ending up in the bin.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Finalist: Stupidest most useless app in the history of apps. "Hey, I need to unlock my door... where's my iPad?"

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Is this for the US only? I have NO locks on any of my doors that this would fit on.

Where does it obtain it's power? I can imagine many locks that will be too tight for this to work with. What about doors that you need to push slightly to make make the bold easier to slide? Will this do that? No of course not.

This is a solution looking for a problem I think.

I foresee most of these not doing the job intended and ending up in the bin.

Did you watch the video? I would guess not. Sounds like you need to adjust your lock on your door too.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I am really tempted to look into this.
1. Because I often times forget to lock my door before I go to bed at night so instead of getting out of bed to see if I locked it/locked it I just take my phone and check/lock my door.

2. I live on the third floor and when I come back from the grocery store my arms are very full of stuff. It can/has been rather tricky for me get my keys in the door to unlock it. This would allow me to unlock my door before I even got out of my car with the phone so it is good to go when I get to the door.

treynolds

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle
Don't know why many of these articles bring out so many naysayers...

What's not to like?

This is cool technology, it's far cheaper that an electronic lockset and does more. Right now I have to have a key in a lockbox outside to allow people (like the cleaners) into the house. I see this as a more secure way to let people in the house remotely, especially with FaceTime. It's cool, the price is great and I've already preordered.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.