Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Little shocked by the outcome to be honest. The iPhone pictures are much darker than the GS3 in any condition I choose to photograph. Sometimes its a decent alternative, but indoors, it makes things a little... off. I cropped the first pictures but didnt run any filters etc on them. First picture is iPhone 5, second GS3. Both were resized to 1024x768 before cropping also (not that it matters).

Both pictures are pretty nice, but when side by side, the GS3 appears to have way more clarity and far closer to what the room actually looks like. I also tried iPhones HDR setting, but yielded the same results other than more details on the window. I also took the picture to show the GS3 doesn't show the purple color flare that is plaguing the iPhone 5. Sure they say take the picture differently... however, given how many lights are in this room, its relatively impossible to do so. The GS3 does not show anything in regards to a purple flare. The flare on the iPhone picture isnt very noticeable, however, I can make it pretty bad if need be lol.

GCutiPhone.png

CCutGS3.png

Next I did a closeup of a tennis ball. Iphone 5 First again. While the iPhone 5 picture looks vivid and nice, its not accurate. The tennis ball isn't nearly that green to my eyes, and the GS3 actually represents the color far more accurately. I think the iPhone 5 is saturating the photos a bit, while the GS3 might be slightly overexposing it. I can adjust those settings on the GS3, but not on the iPhone unless I use Camera+ which is amazing.

photo.jpg

IMG_20121008_094714.jpg

I guess its a preference issue at this point? While the iPhone 5 picture is darker in the first set, I would imagine a savvy Photoshop user could adjust the exposure.

The next picture will be the same ball, but with Camera+ auto-adjusting the image quality on the iPhone. It looks like a great picture, very vivid, very sharp. However, like I said before - its not nearly the color of the ball. The ball is actually pretty old, and more of a faded green.

photo-2.jpg

In summary - I guess it depends on your taste in pictures. For me, I think they are both pretty decent and I guess it would depend what type of picture I am going for.

SIDE NOTE: The GS3 is running the AOSP camera in Cyanogen 10, not the stock Samsung app. I am not sure how much of an improvement or how much worse that would make the picture.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I feel like the colors are way more accurate on the i5. What color is the carpet the ball is sitting on? It looks purple with the s3 and grey with the i5

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
I feel like the colors are way more accurate on the i5. What color is the carpet the ball is sitting on? It looks purple with the s3 and grey with the i5

Its actually a counter top, and its slightly purple. I will take a picture of my gray iPad 3 cover on the counter so you can see... Gimme a sec. Uploaded the wrong picture lol.. sec.

----------

photo-3.jpg

IMG_20121008_101935.jpg

Take note - neither camera depicted the charcoal colored iPad cover correctly, but the GS3 is slightly closer.

Last edited:

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Interesting - with the office pictures, have you just cropped them differently?

The reason I ask is because there's a second light source at the top of the SG3 picture, which would tend to up the overall exposure given I'm guessing both were on an "average" metering.

The tennis ball one is harder to call but good comparison shots. I'm personally interested in how noisy they get indoors given the tiny sensors in phones.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You're right: everything is subjective. Some people like their colors to pop, and it seems like the iPhone 4S/5 cameras are set to do this. Others want warmer, more muted colors, which seems to be what the GS3 is going after.

Personally, I have an issue with the mottling that becomes apparent with Samsung image sensors when you zoom in close to 1:1. Makes the image look more like a watercolor painting.

I think we need a more scientific test, like a Iphone 5 and SGS3 in the same lighting conditions, taking a photo of a color calibration target, like this:

NIKON-D803482652DSC3027-M.jpg

Then you'd definitely know which one is more accurate.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Interesting - with the office pictures, have you just cropped them differently?

The reason I ask is because there's a second light source at the top of the SG3 picture, which would tend to up the overall exposure given I'm guessing both were on an "average" metering.

The tennis ball one is harder to call but good comparison shots. I'm personally interested in how noisy they get indoors given the tiny sensors in phones.

I just cropped it so you could see the purple hue. No matter how I snap a picture in that direction, the iPhone is always darker... darker by a long shot. Not necessarily a bad thing depending on your goal though. You can always adjust the exposure in photoshop.

----------

Dunkin cup iPhone first:

photo-1.jpg

IMG_20121008_103058.jpg

Neither photo was touched up in any way.

----------

Little fun with the flash:

photo-1-1.jpg

IMG_20121008_103629.jpg

Look how clear the GS3 one is there... Wow.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I also agree that the i5 camera colors pop way more...in an unnatural way to be honest.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
I also agree that the i5 camera colors pop way more...in an unnatural way to be honest.

Read the Dunkin label in the above picture. The iPhone really brings out the colors in the text... doesnt look like that to my eye.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Read the Dunkin label in the above picture. The iPhone really brings out the colors in the text... doesnt look like that to my eye.

it makes it look better in that instance, but in a lot of photos I have taken/seen the colors look way more vibrant than real life. Similar to what HD tvs do. Not a bad thing, but not the most accurate.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Outside - some grass then pavement. iPhone 5 first (2 pictures).

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

---

IMG_20121008_105124.jpg

IMG_20121008_105116.jpg

Also if you notice - these pictures were taken at the exact same distance. It looks like the GS3 gets more in the shot than the iPhone 5. Maybe its my eyes playing tricks on me. The iPhone 5 is not zoomed in either, I checked.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Obviously they're different but you should really use a color calibration target like scaredpoet recommended. Without knowing the lighting conditions it seems really hard to tell what is "natural."

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I think the came have been these way since the iphone 4, i wont say to all but to most people these is a good thing.

Personally i dont care since i rarely take pictures, will loved if they offered the iphones without camera and lower price lol :eek:

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Used the photoshop express app to reduce saturation a tiny bit... Makes it look far better in my opinion.

photo-2.jpg

iPhone is def over-saturating pictures. Easy to fix though.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I actually think my old 4s took slightly better pics then my S3. I know the f-stop is better on the 5. 2.4 vs 2.6 Not a huge difference but notable. The S3 takes great pics if you coax it hard enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.