Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
Mine seems to be fixed after doing all of the following (in this order);

the kext script listed earlier
Select the SSD as the boot drive
check the open applications on startup, reboot and uncheck.
Verify and repair disk permissions
Run automation scripts for all on Onyx.

Now I get a 2-4 second shutdown and a 9 second boot.

EDIT: I deleted the Java folders, but it was fixed before this (just did it for good measure.

EDIT 2: I am now getting slow as a dog shut downs again.

Last edited:

colloc

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Mine seems to be fixed after doing all of the following (in this order);

the kext script listed earlier
Select the SSD as the boot drive
check the open applications on startup, reboot and uncheck.
Verify and repair disk permissions
Run automation scripts for all on Onyx.

Now I get a 2-4 second shutdown and a 9 second boot.

EDIT: I deleted the Java folders, but it was fixed before this (just did it for good measure.

EDIT 2: I am now getting slow as a dog shut downs again.

You must be asian! Dogs are not slow FYI :apple:

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Some people don't want to understand what has been written before. :)
So again.

Apple knows about this issue and there is NO fix for this. Whatever you do, it will always revert to the same problem (memory hashes that cannot be released on shutdown).

This means: we will have to wait for a OSX update to fix it.

vea1083

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
More information please!

Some people don't want to understand what has been written before. :)
So again.

Apple knows about this issue and there is NO fix for this. Whatever you do, it will always revert to the same problem (memory hashes that cannot be released on shutdown).

This means: we will have to wait for a OSX update to fix it.
Atarikid,

Hello, I have filed a bug report with Apple last afternoon, I was wondering where you got this information that Apple is aware of this issue. Did you get this from AppleCare?

To other posters,

Now, I would like that anyone that is experiencing this issue to do the following with their Macs. I would like you guys to boot them in Verbose mode, this function will make your Mac show a BIOS type boot up (don't worry, the computer will automatically switch to a normal OS X GUI mode when it gets into the user account or log in screen. When it comes time for a shutdown, the computer will switch to BIOS mode again and show which processes are running at shutdown time and which are taking the longest.

To boot your Mac in verbose mode do the following steps as outlines on this Apple Support Article (located at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492):

Starting up in verbose mode:
1. Shut down your Mac if it is on.
2. Press the power button to start the computer.
3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key any of the following:
the "v" key for verbose mode. (Command-V).

In my case what is holding up the shutdown is the launchd.peruser.501 process. I saw that during the shutdown the system made multiple attempts to close it down and it took the computer about 20 seconds to do so.

If my theory is correct, that same process should show on most Macs that are experiencing the issue. This is happening to me on a Mac that has had to clean installs of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 using the "full" Mac App Store 10.8.2 installer which was released about 2 weeks ago.

In addition to that theory, a member in the Apple Support forums mentioned that the issue seems to be derived to a persistently enabled Resume feature that is trying to save the computer's state during shutdown. You can read the topic here:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/19800407#19800407

That's my insight and I would appreciate any help on this matter in order to build a good case on this bug and provide evidence to Apple engineering that this long shutdown issue in OS X Mountain Lion is a legitimate one!

Again thanks!

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Anyone else seeing the issue fixed under 10.8.2?

Edited: Mine still is slow occasionally...

Last edited:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Anyone else seeing the issue fixed under 10.8.2?

No. That is when I got the slow down....

I have filed a bug report with Apple over a week ago. Everyone should do same and hope Apple will take notice.

Edited: Yup, I get the .501 as well Vea1083

Last edited:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
OK everyone.....

Just noticed a few minutes ago, that my shutdown went from about 20 seconds to about 4 seconds and I did nothing, no changes on my part. What I did yesterday was download the OS supplemental from Apples Update site and that is it. That was yesterday, but when I shutdown yesterday a couple times after the update, the shutdown time was still 20 seconds. Today I have shutdown three times to make sure it was not a flute and shutdown is now about 4 seconds.

Anyone else notice this ?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
This is Nutty....

After 5 very fast shutdowns, its now back up to a 20 second shutdown again. What the heck is doing this ?

I give up :(

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
This is Nutty....

After 5 very fast shutdowns, its now back up to a 20 second shutdown again. What the heck is doing this ?

I give up :(

My Mac's still do it after the update. Hopefully Apple will find a fix soon.

BTW, I knew the sleep shortcut, but not the shutdown one. I thank you :)

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
This is so odd that the shutdown was so fast today at first, but now back up to the longer time. Cannot figure this out one bit. Oh well, just have to wait it out :(

You are welcome Mr. McMac

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
The 10.8.2 supplemental update fixed the slow shutdown time for a few mins, but now it's back to 30+ seconds to shut down.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
The 10.8.2 supplemental update fixed the slow shutdown time for a few mins, but now it's back to 30+ seconds to shut down.

Exact same thing happened for me. I'm wondering whether it has something to do with iCloud and contact/Safari syncing.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
One thing to add that is strange. If I shut down with Safari open, the shut down time goes to 2 seconds. I have no idea why having Safari open changes things though. Anyone have any thoughts?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
One thing to add that is strange. If I shut down with Safari open, the shut down time goes to 2 seconds. I have no idea why having Safari open changes things though. Anyone have any thoughts?

Tried this. Instead of 20 second shutdown, it took 11 seconds, which is an improvement. Will keep on trying. Nothing else to do ;) :D

Edit: Second try with Safari open only, now the shut down speed took 2 seconds. Goodness. Think I will continue to do it this way.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Tried this. Instead of 20 second shutdown, it took 11 seconds, which is an improvement. Will keep on trying. Nothing else to do ;) :D

Edit: Second try with Safari open only, now the shut down speed took 2 seconds. Goodness. Think I will continue to do it this way.

Yup, I'm getting similar results. The real question is why???

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah that is odd. Sometimes I wish there was an app that just pulled the plug on all shut down sluggish operations. Quite frankly you should be able to just power on & off like a tv at this point in time. Booting up seems so 90's.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Yeah that is odd. Sometimes I wish there was an app that just pulled the plug on all shut down sluggish operations. Quite frankly you should be able to just power on & off like a tv at this point in time. Booting up seems so 90's.

Well, that's why they've introduced things like sleep or standby mode - but with the battery draining issues appearing since Lion (yes, even in sleep mode - even though things got better with 10.8.2) this actually isn't a great option either.

So at the moment you can chose between Windows-like shutdown times or charging your battery twice a day :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Just hold the power button down for 3 seconds. :D

But you really don't want that kind of app. The OS needs to close files and save restore points "gracefully".

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Just hold the power button down for 3 seconds. :D

But you really don't want that kind of app. The OS needs to close files and save restore points "gracefully".

What restore points ? Windows OS yes, but I've never seen one for OS X

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The leave Safari open test didn't shut down any faster for me.

JBat

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Washington
This worked for me! Thanks!

This one didn't work for me.

----------

I just received my 13" Air yesterday - 2.0, 256, 8 gigs - and it came with ML installed, which I was then prompted to update to .2. I don't have much of a point of reference, but I'm experiencing what others are experiencing; slow shutdown and start-up.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
No. That is when I got the slow down....

I have filed a bug report with Apple over a week ago. Everyone should do same and hope Apple will take notice.

Edited: Yup, I get the .501 as well Vea1083
Where did you go to file a bug report?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.