Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BollywooD

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Hamburg
My app was waiting for review for +3 weeks, then in review for 3 days. It was just approved yesterday (Oct 7)

It really is quite frustrating waiting.... I tend to lose momentum when my updates are taking a month to be approved.

:(

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Apple really should "permanently approve" trusted developers once they prove they are trustworthy, allowing app updates to go out without each one having to be approved.

App makers who frequently release bugged updates can lose their "trusted" status. It's not hard!

----------

I should add that Transmit took over a month to approve the last update. This is a $35 app, too, so it's not a money issue.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Mac App Store vs. iOS App Store

My experience this year with the review process:

In May, it took at least two weeks before my Mac application was reviewed. An earlier review in February was closer to one week.

In the past several months, reviews for iOS generally have been in the 7-10 day range.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
I suspect Apple has been pulling Mac reviewers over to temporarily handle the crush of iOS app updates due to iOS 6 and iPhone 5. It actually kind of makes sense with my experience over the past month and a half.

When I first released my iOS app at the end of August, review took 10 days. Then when I released an update for iOS 6 and iPhone 5 last month, I was shocked that it only took 3 days. Presumably that was due to having many more iOS reviewers on hand, and I must have gotten in before the big rush of updates (mine was about a week after iPhone 5 announcement). Now that some of the bigger developers are submitting their updates, iOS review times are getting longer - my latest update is currently sitting at "Waiting For Review" for 7 days now.

Meanwhile, Mac apps languish in review time hell because they're concentrating on iOS updates.

This seems like a frustratingly common problem with Apple - in many areas of their business, they simply don't have enough good employees to handle the workload in a timely manner. They've got the cash to hire many times their current headcount (while making sure they only get quality talent), but they won't do it. Desktops languish without updates, software like iLife (Mac) no longer gets any useful updates, Mac app store reviews take forever...

And who can blame them? They're printing money like the Weimar Republic. :rolleyes: Why change a thing?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The amount of actual money flowing in the Mac App Store is far less than you would guess.

And yet, I know of developers whose apps are doing better in the Mac App store than in the iOS App store. There's far far less competition in the Mac App store, and the iOS 6 App store is currently causing serious problems with discovery for many types of apps.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I have two apps at the AppStore. And yes, the last couple of months it takes approx. 4-6 weeks before it gets handled.
In my experience the delays got out of hand with the need of sandboxing. Apps get declined more often and have to re-reviewed several times before it gets accepted.

So my guess it is the sandboxing that is to blame (delays).

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Of course times increase as a new OS rolls out which requires developers to update their products and means more developers are submitting updates.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Mac App Store = freebie central for cheap customers

Even Apple is not making money from it, therefore the lack of resources dedicated to its operation?

The amount of actual money flowing in the Mac App Store is far less than you would guess.

Apple makes money on each app sale, so they benefit more from approving updates and new apps faster than before. Loss of developers for Mac App Store means less money for them and less chances of locking OS X down later for customers who just want to go MAS only.

The issue isn't money, it's resources. Apple pulled the OS X reviewers to put on the iOS team to review and approve thousands of apps getting ready for the iOS 6/iPhone 5 updates.

Apple did the same for whenever OS X is released, the review time are instantly cut down to less than a few days whenever it is close to OS X release dates.

It's all a cycle between OS X and iOS release dates.

Of course times increase as a new OS rolls out which requires developers to update their products and means more developers are submitting updates.

No, it's not that at all. Look at the iOS updates, they're approved at rates two-three times faster and there are FAR more iOS apps than OS X apps.

As mentioned above, it's the cycle of the iOS/OS X releases. The closer to or from iOS release date, the longer than OS X approval rate and vis versa.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Coda from Panic is at version 2.0.4 now. The Mac App Store has 2.0.2 listed as the current version and it's been that way for 4 weeks. Still no 2.0.3 update, and when that does post it will still be a version behind. This is ridiculous.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Coda from Panic is at version 2.0.4 now. The Mac App Store has 2.0.2 listed as the current version and it's been that way for 4 weeks. Still no 2.0.3 update, and when that does post it will still be a version behind. This is ridiculous.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Not to mention that Coda was at one point a featured app. It is almost as if Apple doesn't care about its developers...

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
There is nothing worse than a graph Y axis that has no units stated on it !

That was my first thought. Totally lame! The giveaway is that it's numbering is divisible by 7, but any educated fool should know better that to omit this critical information. That's like 6th grade knowledge.

----------

And yet, I know of developers whose apps are doing better in the Mac App store than in the iOS App store. There's far far less competition in the Mac App store, and the iOS 6 App store is currently causing serious problems with discovery for many types of apps.

iOS6 App Store totally SUCKS! Takes forever to find what you're looking for.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
A company with $100B in the bank should not have this problem. Apple seems to have a number of internal mismanagement issues. Of course there's a smaller thing to note -- Apple makes relatively little revenue from their app stores, so they don't have much financial incentive to make sure the stores run smoothly. They know the Google app store is no competition for developers right now. But it's no excuse, because ultimately it harms users as much as it does the developers they buy from.

Dah777

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Upgrades

My guess is that they are working to allow upgrades within App Store. All of Apples own apps are long overdue for a major upgrade.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
My guess is that they got all their people focusing on maps, or the Mac App Store is getting more popular and more apps are being submitted, thus it is starting to take longer.

A more reasonable guess is that the recent launch of iOS 6, complete with it's flurry of app updates to take advantage of newer features and full screen updates for the iPhone 5 is temporarily bogging down the review staff. Or, perhaps they're getting submissions at a rapid enough pace that they need to staff up, and are still in the process of hiring and training the new reviewers.

Either of those are *much* more likely than the idea that Apple had people who were trained to do the mapping updates working on app reviews in the first place. :rolleyes:

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I wonder if an internal debate at Apple about taking away resources from the Mac App store to support the iOS App store. I hope they don't kill it like they are trying to kill their desktop products.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
I wonder if an internal debate at Apple about taking away resources from the Mac App store to support the iOS App store. I hope they don't kill it like they are trying to kill their desktop products.

.......... sh**!! :(

post PC era it looks like. Although whoever went full retard and started that phrase doesnt realize there is no such thing. Only a pre PC era.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.