Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
This thread has great 'LOL' factor, and so on this day I declare this new phenomenon............

BENT-GATE!!!

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
This is just more proof of the failure of design.

Sure its super thin, but you need a brick of a case to make it tough enough for an empty front pocket?

or you could get a fanny pack and carry it in that, either way the coolness coffee shop factor is gone.

what about all the people who work out with them, so they can listen to their music at the gym??

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I think you're confusing it with defective anodizing coating as many of us still have flawless iP5 after 1-3 weeks of use.

No, I am not. The coating peeling off is one issue. The soft aluminum denting easily is another and the result of using non-tempered(cheaper softer) aluminum.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I personally think Apple sacrificed this phones practical use for the weight and thickness of the phone. I have owned past models and they were not prone to bending. The stainless steel band around the phone would have alleviated this issue. I did not purchase the phone and think that my daily handling would have to change. Shattering my screen or scratching the surfaces have always been an issue, but not putting the phone in my front pocket.

I am with you on that. I had no wishes for a thinner and "longer" phone. Apple is struggling no to pee off it loyal fans and this is all they could come up with. I would have liked to see the phone grow wider and longer rather than just longer. I sure did not want thinner if now more fragile.

I picked up my old 4S and boy it seems way better built!

muy picante

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
Let's wait and see how it develops - apple probably decided to save on r&d and skipped prototype phone reliability tests :) I am pretty sure that Steve would never allow such product to be manufactured and sold to customers. On the bright side - phone still works, so display is good indeed, flexibe. Just 1 point - glass would never bend, it would shatter immediately, so front screen is probably plastic - gorilla plastic :) that phone will scratch from all sides, epic fail. m:eek:

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
as thin and tall as the iPhone 5 is, i can see this bending if you have it in your front pocket at a bar, get up and hit a bit hard against the table right against the iPhone. just seems to be one thing after another with the iPhone 5.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Bent gate. Hmm.. Although this is a something silly, it could become something.

With devices getting thinner and thinner, who knows?

I guess to keep that from happening they have to make the devices slightly flexible. Would be cool to see that!

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
No, I am not. The coating peeling off is one issue. The soft aluminum denting easily is another and the result of using non-tempered(cheaper softer) aluminum.

That still doesn't explain why many of us still have flawless iP5 with no dents after 1-3 weeks of use despite handling it the same as the 4/4S.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Yes, but you're arguing that the denting is the result of cheaper/softer aluminum, which would be across the board, yet not all iPhone 5 are denting easily.

It would not be across the board as not every phone is handled the same. The fact that some are not dented, again, doesn't prove they can't be easily dented or bent.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
But most of us are handling it the same way as we did our 4/4S and it's not denting more easily either.

You can not say that with certainty. Most of the posts I have read say the phones are being handled very carefully yet still sustaining damage.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You can not say that with certainty. Most of the posts I have read say the phones are being handled very carefully yet still sustaining damage.

Those are due to defective anodizing coating. You're implying there's another issue on top of defective anodizing coating and that's the use of the softer aluminum. The latter has to be across the board but the fact that many of us still have flawless iPhone 5 free of dents argues against the softer aluminum being a culprit.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Those are due to defective anodizing coating. You're implying there's another issue on top of defective anodizing coating and that's the use of the softer aluminum. The latter has to be across the board but the fact that many of us still have flawless iPhone 5 free of dents argues against the softer aluminum being a culprit.

Yes, there is an issue. Bent phones and dents would be avoided using a tempered aluminum. The fact they wanted a lighter phone has now made them less durable. Again, because yours is not damaged doesn't make it as strong as a iPhone 4/4S no matter how badly you want it to be.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yes, there is an issue. Bent phones and dents would be avoided using a tempered aluminum. The fact they wanted a lighter phone has now made them less durable. Again, because yours is not damaged doesn't make it as strong as a iPhone 4/4S no matter how badly you want it to be.

I can agree with that when it comes to making it more susceptible to bending or less strong overall (especially if you like to carry it in your back pocket and sit on it). I'd still argue that the cause of nicking/denting on the band and chamfer is due to defective anodizing coating. It'd be a different story if you were talking about denting in the middle of the aluminum body.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
exactly where on an iphone 5 are you planning to hook lanyard?

Easy, get a shell case with a lanyard mount. Tunewear for instance.

----------

Let's wait and see how it develops - apple probably decided to save on r&d and skipped prototype phone reliability tests :) I am pretty sure that Steve would never allow such product to be manufactured and sold to customers. On the bright side - phone still works, so display is good indeed, flexibe. Just 1 point - glass would never bend, it would shatter immediately, so front screen is probably plastic - gorilla plastic :) that phone will scratch from all sides, epic fail. m:eek:

The only epic fail is your lack of knowing what you're posting about.

The Corning glass in question can bend more than 60 degrees on a 1" radius without failure.

----------

Unfortunately this seems to be the case on most Apple devices. iPad and MacBook Air 6061 cases almost certainly have minimal flash anodize and F temper, rather than a proper solution heat treat. This is understandable inasmuch as they probably would have serious issues with warping if heat treated.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Wrong iPhone???

That is a picture of iPhone 4 or 4S not 5. Unless the side frame looks like chrome due to flash.

Yeah thanks I'm not not tubby, pretty skinny. When it happened I was wearing loose fitting shorts. The only thing I can think of is the phone was forced against my leg within the confines of the pocket when sitting down but I would think that much force would be noticed by myself. The picture doesn't look too bad, I have tried to bend it back as much as I could but notice the stress fracture above the volume button.
So if this can happen without a drop, or other careless use, I guess I'll wait to replace it until I find a bullet proof and thin case. Maybe I'll get a belt clip, ha. Surprised I'm the only one

Austintylerl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
That is a picture of iPhone 4 or 4S not 5. Unless the side frame looks like chrome due to flash.

It's a 5, looks chrome bc it is polished aluminum on the side bc it's white/silver iPhone 5. Black 5's look black

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
The first bendable phone?

Sometimes I grip my 4S with both hands in a bending motion just to put pressure on it (as of now I'm not sure why I do this lmao), but I think I'd snap an iPhone 5 in half if it bends that easily :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.