Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ej00262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Hey Forum,

So I've been dealing with this issue for a long time now waiting and waiting until I can make it to an Apple Store to get my iPhone replaced. However, I figured maybe there is someone out there with a similar problem and I could get this fixed sooner.

My issue is that my iPhone 4 won't make any sound at all, minus alarms. I attached three screenshots of what my screen shows in Settings >> Sounds. I don't have a picture of my ring/vibrate switch but honestly it doesn't even matter. When I flip the switch, my iPhone doesn't do anything at all: no vibration going into silent, no icon, no nothing. It does still vibrate thankfully, so I can feel calls, texts, emails, etc. Weird thing, I can still hear my alarms. Every morning it will wake me up but never sound when I want something else. I also can not hear YouTube videos or my iPod or recorded videos without headphones or an external device.

Another symptom is the disappearance of my volume bar altogether, as shown in the final screen shot.

My theory is that the iPhone thinks it is plugged into an external device of some sort.. Like a car stereo or sound peripheral in general. Also, to qualm any ideas of damage or anything, the iPhone is in an Otter Box Defender and has been ever since its purchase in July 2011. Restores don't work either.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/questions?

Attachments

• Sound1.PNG
    Sound1.PNG
    125 KB · Views: 374
  • Sound2.PNG
    Sound2.PNG
    102.1 KB · Views: 298
  • Sound3.PNG
    Sound3.PNG
    104.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Volume.PNG
    Volume.PNG
    104 KB · Views: 325

ej00262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I had in the beginning to see no change for 24-48 hours, so I re-restored from backup

ej00262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
:-/

I feared that would be the only solution. Unfortunately for me I live 4+ hours from the nearest store. I suppose I'll make it up there some day...

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
One of my ex-colleagues experienced a similar problem when he accidentally tried to plug a different cable (from his Creative Zen I believe) into the iPhone dock port (or whatever the correct name is) and essentially screwed up the connections.

He had to get his phone replaced/repaired - I don't recall which.

I'm guessing you haven't done something quite like that, though, so sorry I can't be of more help!

ej00262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
That I haven't ah123, only the designated 30-pin wire that came with my iPhone has been plugged in (or attempted to be plugged in) to the best of my knowledge

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
This was a common problem in Palm Pre phones. The headphone jack would get stuck so that even when the jack wasn't in, the phone thought it was. If you are getting sound out of headphones and not out of the speakers, that would seem to be a good bet. Try putting a headphone jack in and remove it while music is playing. Some people also put alcohol on a Q-tip and cleaned out the jack because there was a little arm that was sticking. Worth a try.....

ej00262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Yes, the headphone jack is essentially the only way to hear sound (not an alarm) from the iPhone. I will definitely try this when I get home, do a restart and document if any changes happen

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
This may be a stupid question, but did you accidentally hit the mute button on the side just above the volume buttons? If it is showing Orange, you have muted your phone and all external sounds OTHER than your alarm.

I flip that switch every night to avoid notifications.

WW

ej00262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Haha no Wraith, the switch isn't in the Silent position. As a matter of fact, it doesn't do anything at all when switched from Loud to Silent or from Silent to Loud.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Haha no Wraith, the switch isn't in the Silent position. As a matter of fact, it doesn't do anything at all when switched from Loud to Silent or from Silent to Loud.

Is it possible that since you have notifications set to vibrate that that is the means it is notifying you? meaning what is the other option to choose other than Vibrate? Unfort I don't have my iPhone handy so I can't visually compare....

But I figure if it rings an alarm, there is just something that is missing. Did it ever work? If yes, then perhaps a reset to factory basic?

If no, maybe removing all options of vibration, resetting it by pressing home and Standby button and testing it?

I love troubleshooting!

ej00262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Wraith, if you're referring to the on/off slider shown beside "Vibrate" then when I turn it off it essentially doesn't notify me at all; only lighting the screen. And yes, it absolutely did work for around 4.5-5 months with no issues. As far as disabling all vibration settings, hard reseting, and testing, that made no improvements..

And I did try to reset to factory settings originally when the issue first came around. However when it made no changes after 24-48 hours, I just re-restored back to my backup from the 24-48 hours prior.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Perhaps a solution may be found in here?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/327739/

From what I have been reading there are similar issues that were triggered by insertion or removal of a headphone jack. Some people have managed to jog/fix it in there.

Let me know if it helps I would love to know...

Last edited:

zigzagg321

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
the wire
Sounds like your phone thinks its in a dock. normally that happens when theres liquid damage at the dock connector area. Is your sensor tripped?

ej00262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Wraith, reading that thread now and trying a solution some of them found to help.

Zigzagg, I have used the iPhone 4 dock in the past to charge my phone and can say that the purchase time of the dock and my issues beginning are closely related, now that I think of it. But no, the 30-pin water sensor hasn't been tripped, nor has the one in the headphone jack, nor the two underneath the back glass.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Wraith, reading that thread now and trying a solution some of them found to help.

Zigzagg, I have used the iPhone 4 dock in the past to charge my phone and can say that the purchase time of the dock and my issues beginning are closely related, now that I think of it. But no, the 30-pin water sensor hasn't been tripped, nor has the one in the headphone jack, nor the two underneath the back glass.

Keepin my fingers crossed for ya!!:D

Abby1056

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Yeah my phone is having the exact same problem it started just today out of the blue. Almost every day I put my iPhone on vibrate( because I go to school and don't want it going off in class) but today when I got home and switched it off of vibrate, I had no sounds except the alarm. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated! ;-)

Dennis187

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
below you
Yeah my phone is having the exact same problem it started just today out of the blue. Almost every day I put my iPhone on vibrate( because I go to school and don't want it going off in class) but today when I got home and switched it off of vibrate, I had no sounds except the alarm. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated! ;-)

Restart the phone, it'll probably fix it.

gmd

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
i fixed mine

Mine was doing the same thing and I pushed the mute button on the side above the volume buttons to the left and then all the way back to the right and this fixed it. Somehow even though the orange wasn't showing meaning it was on mute, it must not have been all the way to the right.

Kazren

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2015
This may be a stupid question, but did you accidentally hit the mute button on the side just above the volume buttons? If it is showing Orange, you have muted your phone and all external sounds OTHER than your alarm.

I flip that switch every night to avoid notifications.

WW
You are a genius.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.