Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sazza85

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Dropped my iPhone yesterday in a clumsy incident.

Whilst the phone isn't damaged in anyway, no marks etc at all, when i looked at the side of the phone the left screen had curved out in the middle quite substantially.

I pressed the area down and it almost 'clicked' back into place.

From checking the serial number of the phone this was in the first week of production

I know I shouldn't have dropped it but should the screen curve to the extent that it did and 'click' back in??

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

Whilst the phone isn't damaged in anyway, no marks etc at all, when i looked at the side of the phone the left screen had curved out in the middle quite substantially.

From checking the serial number of the phone this was in the first week of production

I know I shouldn't have dropped it but should the screen curve to the extent that it did and 'click' back in??

that sucks

photo?

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Pics! or it didn't happen! (just kidding)

But I would like to see pictures. A couple of other posters have shown images of their "Curved" iphones from a drop and one right out of the box

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
iPhones have Lego design elements, they are supposed to click back together.

That's a little known fact. :)
I hope my 8 year old doesn't find this out. Not only will he want one, he may try to reconfigure mine.

sazza85

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
I was stood in the middle of Starbucks. Couldn't exactly take a picture when the only thing I had on me to take a photo was the iPhone in question.

It was really bizarre to me, I've dropped previous phones and that hasn't happened before. But it was really noticeable.

I don't even have a scuff mark on the phone

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
Is there any lasting damage from it? I mean, if it clicked back into place then I would think it would be fine :)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Pictures are not always revealing enough since they're only two dimensional & it can be hard to see smaller damage.

Besides I never demand pictures.

I prefer to use my vivid imagination.

Remember boys & girls, use it or lose it. Ha.. Ha.. Ha..

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

So you dropped it? One side of the screen popped out and then you pushed it back in and its fine now.
What more do you need?
Bring it to Apple and ask them how come the screen didnt crack but instead it popped out and I was able to push it back in place. That's obviously a defect and you should get a brand new replacement.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Yes this is normal. The screen on the iPhone 5 clicks into place. One of the tabs that hold the screen in place probably pop off when you drop it.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
oh c'mon people new members to this forum we can understand but you should know by now that *doom & gloom* and *catastrophe* threads require visual evidence.

where are the pics??!

beegar

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Iphone 5 screen curved

My phone didn't dropped and I use it with an Otter Box Defender Case, all of a sudden I couldn't close my apps by trying to press the "home" button. I opened the case and was shocked to see my phone like this. I had it for 32 days so far, I will be heading to Apple Store tomorrow to see what they say. I am upset and expect for them to replace it. Wish me luck!

I figured I would share pic of my phone since everyone wanted a pic or evidence with the original post.

Attachments

• Iphone 5.jpg
    Iphone 5.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 10,062

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
My phone didn't dropped and I use it with an Otter Box Defender Case, all of a sudden I couldn't close my apps by trying to press the "home" button. I opened the case and was shocked to see my phone like this. I had it for 32 days so far, I will be heading to Apple Store tomorrow to see what they say. I am upset and expect for them to replace it. Wish me luck!

I figured I would share pic of my phone since everyone wanted a pic or evidence with the original post.

Another horrible story with that case! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.