Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
See here

Bummer! Damn you Apple:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Not exactly a shocker as all the photos of the iPod touch clearly show the protruding camera ring.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Yea we knew this, but I thought they somehow managed to make it lay evenly on table. I honestly don't understand this design choice.... I would've preffered 2mm thicker device without this malfunction.

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I never use the iPod when it's sitting on a table. It's either in my hand or docked. So, I don't mind. But an iPod being wobbly when on a flat surface seems an odd design choice by Apple.

caribou123

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
And the world thought the Hindenburg was a tragedy! That was nothing compared to this! It won't lie flat? Oh the humanities! Imagine the lawsuits coming, people damaging their fingers from working on touch that "won't lie flat"! Expect the stock to drop today by 25% folks, this is big news! ;-)

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
And the world thought the Hindenburg was a tragedy! That was nothing compared to this! It won't lie flat? Oh the humanities! Imagine the lawsuits coming, people damaging their fingers from working on touch that "won't lie flat"! Expect the stock to drop today by 25% folks, this is big news! ;-)

I know, right? Jobs would never have let this happen. It's not like two consecutive generations of iPod touch shipped with a curved back that didn't lie flat.

Wait that's totally what it's like.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Why is it important or even relevant enough to damn Apple?

Unless the OP always uses it on a flat surface (which seems to defeat the purpose of the device).
Because it's weird design choice... Of course given some arguments it's not that big of a deal, but... I never use dock, and when I put my iPod on table when syncing with iTunes or plugging to my battery charger I'd like it to lay evanly on the flat surface. It's not a feature issue, it's a design distracting issue. The device shouldn't wobble when put on flat table. It's just wrong. Sure it doesn't affect using the iPod, but it doesn't mean it's ok, especially coming from the company the design is one of the most important value.

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
The device shouldn't wobble when put on flat table. It's just wrong.

The 2nd gen touch wobbled when put on a table due to its curved back. Never bothered me. I typically don't use it while it's down on a table anyway, I only set it on tables when I won't be using it or when it's playing music and I have my headphones plugged in. I don't think the fact that it doesn't lay flat is really that big of a deal. Can't we just all be excited that our nice, expensive, $300 toys are being shipped to us instead of finding things to complain about before we even have them in our hands?

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Maybe, but...
1) The material covering and around the camera will probably scratch pretty fast due to the fact it's gonna have the most frequent contact with surfaces when laying flat. And yes sapphire glass scratches as well :)
2) It's probably gonna need some good case.
3) Steve wouldn't have allowed this...

Last edited:

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I'm more concerned about the earpods. If you look at the Apple website, it doesn't mention that the ones shipping with the iPod Touch have the remote. The iPhone has the earpods with remote but I don't think the iPod Touch includes it. This video doesn't show the remote feature either and I use it a lot on my 3rd generation iPod Touch earbuds.

AppleMooseMan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
I'm more concerned about the earpods. If you look at the Apple website, it doesn't mention that the ones shipping with the iPod Touch have the remote. The iPhone has the earpods with remote but I don't think the iPod Touch includes it. This video doesn't show the remote feature either and I use it a lot on my 3rd generation iPod Touch earbuds.

Correct, no remote and mic. Not surprising. Previous iPod touches did not come with a remote or mic either.

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
Thats a little ridiculous that you pay $299.00/399.00 plus tax and you don't even get the earpods with the remote which probably only costs like $1 more to manufacture.

:(

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
iPod touch 3rd generation came with earphones with remote and mic. Since iPod touch 4th gen Apple forces it's customers to buy earphones with remote and mic separetely to make more money.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Thats a little ridiculous that you pay $299.00/399.00 plus tax and you don't even get the earpods with the remote which probably only costs like $1 more to manufacture.

:(

Aww diddums, so upsetting...

If it concerns you that much, sell the earpods that come with the iPod and buy the ones that have a remote.

AppleMooseMan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Aww diddums, so upsetting...

If it concerns you that much, sell the earpods that come with the iPod and buy the ones that have a remote.

I love Apple, but this kind of crap turns me off them.
There is no logical reason to lose the mic and remote.
This will only cause anger to customers who presumed there would be.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I love Apple, but this kind of crap turns me off them.
There is no logical reason to lose the mic and remote.
This will only cause anger to customers who presumed there would be.

apple has become very tricky to customers nowadays. actually, $29 earpods doesn't make cost higher for the whole package. I can't believe that apple just did it. if Steve Jobs would still be alive, this ******** won't be happened. so sad. apple just wants to make more money. they don't care about customers anymore. die, apple.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe, but...
1) The material covering and around the camera will probably scratch pretty fast due to the fact it's gonna have the most frequent contact with surfaces when laying flat. And yes sapphire glass scratches as well :)
2) It's probably gonna need some good case.
3) Steve wouldn't have allowed this...

I thought this as well watching one of the unboxing videos. I do wonder if you accidentally hit the touch hard on a table, it may shatter the insides of the camera or through general wear-and-tear. :confused:

I also wonder when the loop is 'activated' does it make the touch lay more flat?

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
This has got to be the dumbest thing to whine about. There has never been an ipod touch that layed flat.

Last edited:

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
I also wonder when the loop is 'activated' does it make the touch lay more flat?

It doesn't look like it. The loop button is on the same side of the iPod as the camera is, which would probably just make it lay at a weirder angle if you popped it out first.

This has got to be the dumbest thing ti whine about. There has never been an ipod touch that layed flat.

^This! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this. The 2nd and 3rd generation iPod touches had curved backs, and they wobble if you try to use them while laying on a table. But does that really matter? Who the heck lays their iPod down on a table to use it for any extended period of time? That's what iPads are for. iPods are much better suited for in-hand use, in which case a camera protrusion will make no difference whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.