Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tworth23

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
The yellow "coming soon" dots are only for when the map is zoomed out. There are none for Long Island. When you zoom, EVERY TOWN has a yellow dot, which should not be confused with the yellow dots for "coming soon"

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I just switched from AT&T to Verizon since I recently moved from Western Nassau to Wesfern Suffolk and travel into the city daily. Verizon already had LTE coverage in all of Nassau and sme parts of Suffolk. I might have stuck it out with LTE had I known AT&T was going to cover a big portion of Nassau so soon. What poor strategy to roll this out 2 weeks after the iPhone 5 comes out me not communicate at least "coming soon" with dates.....

jeckels

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
Just spoke with AT&T rep and they have confirmed with me that our iPhone 5's are bouncing between 4G and LTE because they are indeed installing it for at least Nassau County they do not know how long before it goes officially live though. They said Suffolk County most likely will see LTE the 1st half of 2013 because they can only do so many installations at a time. But i'm glad they are working on it.

TishTash

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Since I was in Manhattan for the day, I figured I would see what the big fuss was about LTE. After experiencing faster-than-cable broadband speeds in the middle of the Upper West Side, I bemoaned my purchase of the AT&T iPad instead of the Verizon flavor, knowing their LTE deployment on Long Island was far inferior (i.e., nonexistent).

[I stuck with AT&T for my iPhone mostly because of GSM's ability to talk and surf at the same time. Why I would use that reasoning for the iPad is anyone's guess—although I suppose I tried to rationalize keeping two iDevices on the same account for convenience and, in theory, savings. (yeah right)]

Since I knew AT&T's LTE coverage quit around the Queens–Nassau border, I figured I'd keep the iPad on a non-sleeping app while driving past it on the LIE, just to see where it might end exactly. Passing from Flushing, to Bayside, to Douglaston, the LTE indicator stayed on as expected. But when it remained on while whizzing by Lake Success, Great Neck, Manhasset, I started getting suspicious. When it didn't budge driving through Searingtown, Carle Place, Garden City, Hempstead, I started getting palpitations. The signal lost a bar here and there while traveling down Levittown, East Meadow, Freeport, but "LTE" stuck around, incredibly, all the way down to Merrick.

After scouring the Internet for any confirmation, I got here, with messages barely a day or two old. All I can say as a veteran AT&T customer is that for once, I'm speechless.

Attachments

• LTEQueens2Nassau.PNG
    LTEQueens2Nassau.PNG
    757.3 KB · Views: 332

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
On my way back from upstate I was shocked when I hit the Northern state and still had LTE. I was even more shocked when it stood around even after reaching the Wantagh Parkway until I started crying because it switched back to "4G" once I hit my exit at Hempstead turnpike.

Attachments

• ClouDrop-Oct-7,-2012,-1-05-56-PM.png
    ClouDrop-Oct-7,-2012,-1-05-56-PM.png
    866.7 KB · Views: 48

jerrahh

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
If you turn on airplane mode and then turn it back on after a couple of seconds it should be about 1 bar on LTE. Just tried it now.

ill have to try next time im over there i was just eating there while that firestone right there puts tires on my Gf's car. so far most of southern nassau has it. funny story i was in mall and at the genius bar and the genius guys were telling people there is no LTE im like ohhhhhhh really, had to show them whats up, also one of the genius said that the retina display was only on the iPhone 5 not 4s or 4

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
ill have to try next time im over there i was just eating there while that firestone right there puts tires on my Gf's car. so far most of southern nassau has it. funny story i was in mall and at the genius bar and the genius guys were telling people there is no LTE im like ohhhhhhh really, had to show them whats up, also one of the genius said that the retina display was only on the iPhone 5 not 4s or 4

The store in Roosevelt field is horrible. I had a 3:10 appointment and was not helped until 4:00. You can just look at half of them and know that they have no clue what they are talking about.

Asharus

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
that place is usually packed. i try to avoid at all costs unless really desperate.

jerrahh

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
your telling me i hate that store to, its like 98% of the people in there are there just to play with the phones and the ipads and the 2% left is for the bar and they are ALWAYS BEHIND! only time i had a good time in there was when they replaced my friends ipad 1 after he left it in the rain ( dont ask how i dont know how)

2nd funny store the reason i was there was for the chipped phone, i was talking to the lady helping me, some small talk about the phone i mentioned that a few ppl on here had to go through a few white boxes for iphones with no chips. she said " noo way not here" then the box she opened was chipped.. then the next and etc 5 boxes later lol. best part is... i didnt ask her to go and get the other boxes to look through for a good one she did it her self, most have felt dumb.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Does anyone know how the LTE is in Winthrop Hospital and around Garden City?

Garden city is awesome with 5 bars and pulling in about 30 Mbps. (Old Clountry road by Roosevelt field) Winthrop hospital is at 3 bars and pulling in 25 Mbps. (Speed test at Winteop attached)

R4226

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2011
Usually while I'm on the train to work LTE starts west of RVC and is back to 4G at RVC on the way home. BUT tonight the LTE was still on at merrick and I was like wtf no way!! Speedtest was 45.78 down and 16.33 up right before it cut out ot 4G around Bellmore. A few more towns ATT keep goin!!

LTE SpeedText Screenshot October 8 2012.jpg by BigRman, on Flickr

Last edited:

l.i. bruce fan

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
LTE still on here in Uniondale after the holiday weekend, so looking more like a rollout than a test!?!?!

Here's hoping the rollout continues east and soon!!!

Last edited:

dwynn65

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Rockville Centre, NY
I was just as surprised as all of you with seeing LTE in Rockville Centre :D. Even more surprised with the speed (between 55.20 and 31.65 down 16.41 to 6.15 up). I was in Valley Stream a few weeks ago and noticed LTE but the speed wasn't as fast.

l.i. bruce fan

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Someone I work with who has been using a Samsung Note maintains that he has had LTE on AT&T in the Garden City Area for months now.

I only noticed LTE on my iPhone 5 as of last Friday.

Had anyone else seen LTE in Nassau on AT&T prior to last weekend (other than some spot testing)?

Last edited:

thrill5one6

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Came on for me in Franklin Square on Thursday night October 4th. Very surprised. Great speeds

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I just switched from AT&T to Verizon since I recently moved from Western Nassau to Wesfern Suffolk and travel into the city daily. Verizon already had LTE coverage in all of Nassau and sme parts of Suffolk. I might have stuck it out with LTE had I known AT&T was going to cover a big portion of Nassau so soon. What poor strategy to roll this out 2 weeks after the iPhone 5 comes out me not communicate at least "coming soon" with dates.....

Most areas in Suffolk will be covered by LTE before year end. Especially the 2 towns I spent most of the time, East Islip and Huntington Village. In the mean time HSPA+ its pretty good.

tworth23

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Most areas in Suffolk will be covered by LTE before year end. Especially the 2 towns I spent most of the time, East Islip and Huntington Village. In the mean time HSPA+ its pretty good.

How do you know most towns in Suffolk will be covered by years end? Do you work for att?

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
How do you know most towns in Suffolk will be covered by years end? Do you work for att?

Call tech support, they can tell you where and when towers are going to be up in your area. I have multiple users at work that their iPhone 5 wont pickup 3G so I spent at least 7 hours total talking to tech support checking antennas for each user.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Call tech support, they can tell you where and when towers are going to be up in your area. I have multiple users at work that their iPhone 5 wont pickup 3G so I spent at least 7 hours total talking to tech support checking antennas for each user.

What about Massapequa Park :D

tworth23

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Lolobond,
Att tech support told you that most of Suffolk would be up by end of year? If so that's great!!
Let me know pls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.