Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
You know his answer will just be "I don't need to do that so it doesn't matter" ;)
Now that I think about it, the Creative Bluetooth speaker and other products I own could have updates...but I have never cared enough to check for them. With the number of gadgets I have around the house, if the product doesn't offer direct updates without a computer, and it is filling the need that I purchased it for, there is little chance I am going to look for new updates. The one exception would be my camera, but I bet I could take it into an authorized dealer for the update.

Don't get me wrong, I have no plans to get rid of my computers. I just think it would be easier for some people to do now that so many things are cloud based. If something came up that required access to a computer, I bet they could find one.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Whenever this topic is discussed on this forum, there is a mass of people lining up to knock the idea of replacing a laptop with iPad. If the user can make it work for them, then why not.

Here's an idea, why not try some helpful pointer rather than 'it'll never work'.
Because this is a discussion board and not a support group. If you are too sensitive to accept that strangers have opinions that don't match your own then why are you here?

There is a growing group of people wanting to get rid of the computer in their life. Why? because a lot of people view computer ownership as a pain in the ass. The iPad takes that pain away for many.
Thats such an odd statement. Computer ownership is a "pain in the ass" so the alternative is jailbreaking your iPad and relying on inconvenient and unintuitive workarounds?

What the OP is doing is like having a yacht and choosing to ride around on its lifeboat because "They both float on water so therefore they are equal". I'm not knocking the OP for what he is doing, but with all the excuses and compromises required to completely REPLACE a laptop then this is more of a project than a solution.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

So strange to see the Apple fanboi mentality even when someone is using and praising an Apple product.

So strange to see some people trying to find rare problems for the OP: watching physical DVDs (are we still in the 90's?), upgrading a gadget (is the OP alone on a desert island, unable to find a single regular computer?), flash websites (even Adobe pulled the plug on Flash)...

The simple fact that the listed problems are this ridiculous speaks volumes for the OP's point. (And for the future of computing.)

Of cours an iPad can't do everything a regular Mac can: if it were the case we wouldn't be speaking about it. Why try to convince someone else that their shoe doesn't fit when it actually does?

Loa

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
The argument is kind of redundant since almost all of his points rely on there being a jailbreak availiable. If you buy an iPad now, it will have iOS 6 and there is no such jailbreak, and there is no expected release date for one in the near future either.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I stopped using my laptop pretty much the day I got my iPad. Even without jailbreaks it can do pretty much anything I need it to on the go. On the rare occasion I need to do something that is beyond its capabilities I turn to my desktop.

BTW many third party browsers have download managers built in. iCab even lets you download embedded videos, including those from YouTube. So two of those jailbreaks aren't really neccessary.
Now you don't even need to think of the iPad as a touch UI unless you want to, thanks to BTC Mouse. You could use the iPad just like you would a computer with a physical keyboard + mouse.
Check it out:
YouTube: video
Sweet. Though technically you could connect a mouse before by using BTstack mouse, it had the serious drawback of not allowing other BT peripherals to be connected at the same time.

That said, I have to say I don't see the attraction of the jailbreak Bluetooth mouse thing. If a task needs a mouse, that's the point where I reach for my MacBook Air or my iMac. To me, the point of the iPad is that it's an instant-on device I can take everywhere with me without need for carrying and setting up extra accessories like mouse and keyboard. Parking an iPad on a desktop feels to me Ike defeating its purpose.
I respectfully disagree. My iPad is that instant-on, take everywhere device when I'm out or around the house. It is also a more productive, yet still instant-on device when I prop it up in front of its keyboard at home. It doesn't need to be either or.

Anyway, to me the biggest attraction with this tweak is the ergonomic value. The one drawback to using a keyboard with the iPad is that you constantly have to reach up and over to interact with the touchscreen. Reaching over to a mouse takes less effort.

Last edited:

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
FWIW, I replaced my Macbook Air with my iPad last year and it has worked out great. Obviously my needs for the laptop were light, and everyone's individual needs determine whether or not the replacement can be successful.

One thing people haven't mentioned is the cost factor of upgrading. Having a solution that costs 1/3 - 1/2 of the price of a laptop means you can upgrade more frequently!

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
So strange to see the Apple fanboi mentality even when someone is using and praising an Apple product.
Being a fanboy is when you try to prove superiority and shutting down discussion by making up excuses in order to protect your own personal viewpoint.

Look, I dont agree with everyones comments for and against a solo iPad because OP can do what he wants. But I just find it interesting that you use the term "fanboy" when "fanboy behavior" is exactly what YOU are exhibiting right here:

So strange to see some people trying to find rare problems for the OP: watching physical DVDs (are we still in the 90's?), upgrading a gadget (is the OP alone on a desert island, unable to find a single regular computer?), flash websites (even Adobe pulled the plug on Flash)...
- DVD sales are irrelevant in 2012? Are you kidding? Prices are cheaper for physical media, they are cheaper to rent, there's trade in value, they offer more features, they don't use DRM to lock it down and you can share with friends/family. I'm not against Digital at all, but my library consists of store bought BluRays that are easily converted and put into iTunes for iPad/AppleTV use.

- Borrowing a computer? You can't go around saying "The iPad completely replaces my computer. BTW bro, can I borrow your computer because I need to jailbreak my iPad, upgrade my iPhone from iOS4 to iOS6, convert my CD's for iTunes Match and store my expanding photo library onto a hard drive.

- Flash is not dead. Yes, its on its way out but to claim that Adobe pulling the plug means that it no longer exists is ridiculous.

Of cours an iPad can't do everything a regular Mac can: if it were the case we wouldn't be speaking about it. Why try to convince someone else that their shoe doesn't fit when it actually does?
Yes, the iPad CAN be used as a solo device. But it requires a lot more excuses than most people are willing to make and theres nothing wrong with people expressing that so save your lectures for when you have kids. (And when you have kids you'll also realize that sometimes they try to fit their feet into shoes they've outgrown simply because "I like this one better and I'm going to force it to work".)

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
How do I get music/videos on my iPad without a computer with iTunes on it?
Bridge (jailbreak app)

What is the best bluetooth keyboard with a built in iPad stand?
Logitech ultra thin keyboard

How do I use a bluetooth mouse?
BTC Mouse (jailbreak app)

How do I manage my files?
iFile (jailbreak app), or even Dropbox

How do I play REAL games with a physical controller?
Snes9x EX (jailbreak app) + wiimote classic controller

How do I download files?
Safari download manager (jailbreak app)

How do I download youtube videos for offline viewing?
Protube (jailbreak app)

How do I create/edit Office documents?
Pages, or Polaris Office

The iPad has a lot of benefits over a laptop now that the holes above have been fixed (alot of them through jailbreak):
- Retina display
- 10 hour battery life
- Very light and thin
- No viruses to worry about
- Voice dictation
- Can watch videos on the treadmill at the gym
- Apple store customer service
- Low price compared to ultrabooks
- Thousands of apps

In the past even one of these things being missing might have made me hesitant to go 100% pc-free but no longer. I can't think of a single reason though why I would use a laptop over an iPad anymore.

I love this thread because this is exactly what i've tried to do myself. I use my ipad all the time and haven't really cracked open the macbook pro since.

HOWEVER......

...help me with this.

upload your resume to monster or careerbuilder.

get back to us all when you have a way to do this please. this is holding me back from getting rid of my laptop altogether.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I respectfully disagree. My iPad is that instant-on, take everywhere device when I'm out or around the house. It is also a more productive, yet still instant-on device when I prop it up in front of its keyboard at home. It doesn't need to be either or.

Anyway, to me the biggest attraction with this tweak is the ergonomic value. The one drawback to using a keyboard with the iPad is that you constantly have to reach up and over to interact with the touchscreen. Reaching over to a mouse takes less effort.

Thanks for presenting how things look from another pov. I do agree about the usefulness of a mouse when using the iPad with a keyboard. I did try using my iPad with an Apple bluetooth keyboard when I first got it, and having to reach out and tap the screen every so often got annoying fast. As for using the iPad propped up on the desktop, I guess I'm spoiled by having an 27-inch iMac at home -- who wants to make do with a 10 inch screen when there's a 27 inch right there? :D

Obviously, different users have different wants/needs, and there are different combinations of devices that suit each user. I've found that the best use for the iPad is to use it in my hands, and if I have a task that for some reason needs to be done at a desk, then it's time to grab my Air or my iMac. I can understand why some people might opt for using a mouse with an iPad -- but it's just not a choice I can ever see myself making.

How do I download files?
Safari download manager (jailbreak app)

I use GoodReader, a non-jailbreak app avaiable from the app store.

Last edited:

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Can't you use the Monster for iPad app? I am not looking for a job, but their website says you can apply with it.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Thanks for presenting how things look from another pov. I do agree about the usefulness of a mouse when using the iPad with a keyboard. I did try using my iPad with an Apple bluetooth keyboard when I first got it, and having to reach out and tap the screen every so often got annoying fast. As for using the iPad propped up on the desktop, I guess I'm spoiled by having an 27-inch iMac at home -- who wants to make do with a 10 inch screen when there's a 27 inch right there? :D

Obviously, different users have different wants/needs, and there are different combinations of devices that suit each user. I've found that the best use for the iPad is to use it in my hands, and if I have a task that for some reason needs to be done at a desk, then it's time to grab my Air or my iMac. I can understand why some people might opt for using a mouse with an iPad -- but it's just not a choice I can ever see myself making.

I use GoodReader, a non-jailbreak app avaiable from the app store.

i don't want to DOWNLOAD files.......i want to UPLOAD files.

before you offer a solution, please take a word document, go to monster/carrerbuilder, and actullay try it for yourself. it can NOT be done, at all, with any app.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I love this thread because this is exactly what i've tried to do myself. I use my ipad all the time and haven't really cracked open the macbook pro since.

HOWEVER......

...help me with this.

upload your resume to monster or careerbuilder.

get back to us all when you have a way to do this please. this is holding me back from getting rid of my laptop altogether.

I don't know if it will with those two, but iCab has an upload feature that works with many sites.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
i don't want to DOWNLOAD files.......i want to UPLOAD files.

before you offer a solution, please take a word document, go to monster/carrerbuilder, and actullay try it for yourself. it can NOT be done, at all, with any app.

I wasn't addressing your request for a way to upload files, I was just pointing out that a non-jailbreak solution existed for downloading files, while, in the portion of your post I quoted, you had indicated a jailbreak solution only.

EDIT: Hmmmm, seems I quoted the wrong post, that was somebody else who mentioned the downloading. I've corrected my post. Sorry about the mix-up.

Last edited:

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Now you don't even need to think of the iPad as a touch UI unless you want to, thanks to BTC Mouse. You could use the iPad just like you would a computer with a physical keyboard + mouse.
Check it out:
YouTube: video

Whats the point of iPad if you're using it with keyboard? You're just forcibly crippling yourself to a mobile device.

The way I see it, if iPad is sufficient, they never needed a real computer in the first place.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The way I see it, if iPad is sufficient enough, they never needed a real computer in the first place.

Well, that's the thing. Many people didn't need a "full" computer, but until the iPad came along, a full computer was their only choice. They were forced to buy an over-powered, over-complicated, and often over-priced machine when they only needed a fraction of that power. Now that the iPad is here, those people have a device that more precisely matches their needs.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Whats the point of iPad if you're using it with keyboard? You're just forcibly crippling yourself to a mobile device.

The way I see it, if iPad is sufficient, they never needed a real computer in the first place.

Never? Not even before the iPad existed and the only big screen computing option was a "real computer"?

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I apologize if this has already been answered...

Are you able to pair and use the Logitech BT keyboard and the BTC Mouse app at the same time?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I apologize if this has already been answered...

Are you able to pair and use the Logitech BT keyboard and the BTC Mouse app at the same time?

Yes. The whole advantage to this new tweak is that, unlike the older BTstack mouse, it expands on iOS's existing BT support rather than replacing it. So keyboards and other BT devices will work alongside the mouse.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Yes. The whole advantage to this new tweak is that, unlike the older BTstack mouse, it expands on iOS's existing BT support rather than replacing it. So keyboards and other BT devices will work alongside the mouse.

that's sweet.

are most BT mice compatible or are there specific models that are recommended?

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
In ten years time.......

Two points

1. The Op never stated that everyone could get rid of their PC, just that he/she is and then listed how they are making it possible. If you don't want to go down this road then don't, simple.

2. There was a time not too long ago that laptop ownership without an additional PC desktop would have been odd, look how things have changed. The future of computing is in iOS devices. The future of Apple is the iPad and iPhone, in ten years time for good or bad the negativity in the thread will look odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.