Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
Can't they just come out with a charging cable for cheap? Does it need a chip for just charging? Might be a dumb question but I'd just like a "charging cable".

I don't need the functions of audio, data, etc for all my cables. I'd like to have one by my nightstand to charge, one by my work computer for charging one to toss in a bag for traveling, one in my car for charging, and one real one to use with all the bells and whistles for my home computer.

DJsteveSD

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Dallas, TX
if Apple would just sell their accessories at a reasonable price this wouldn't happen. (as much) It's a shame considering the connector change they couldn't see fit to make the adaptors more reasonably priced. (and available at launch) :confused:

pink thing

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
$40 for a cable and a bit of plastic to stand your phone in? They'll be knocking these out for 99p before long!..

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
What does this do differently than Apple's $19 lightning to USB cable? I don't see any difference here. All I see is a stand for $20. Show me a 30 pin adapter that works for the same price and we are in business. Otherwise, I'll stick to Apple's lightning cables.

gerardrj

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Arizona
Each part is offered individually for $19.90, or together for $39.90.

So why the $.10 premium for purchasing the two items together?
Normally when you purchase a package like that you get a discount.
Or does $19.90 + $19.90 equal something less than $39.80 to someone else?

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Every reputable news source is reporting that the chips incorporated into these make the cost around 6-8 dollars. Liar.

Not quite. That's the estimate of the *wholesale* cost of *cables* containing the chips. So, the complete assembly probably runs around $3-5 to produce, with the remainder of that $6-8 being the wholesaler's gross profits.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
Interconnection specifications should never be priopietary. Talk about locking you into a single vendor for accessories, and in this case, one that can't even sell the spare cables/adapters since they don't have any stock.

Completely agree with you. Even if a circuit is required to dynamically assign the pins, that should have been implemented inside the phone and leave the cable dumb.

Next stop after market iPhone 5 Black retrofit kit.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Don't see why you would need the chip just to make the dock, since the cable would already have the chip and you could just pass-through all the wiring.

I would consider buying the dock except they don't even show the underneath.. I expect it to be cheap unfortunately (unlike the iPhone 4 dock from Apple that I really loved)

Might as well wait for a few more to hit the market
Exactly. There is no science to the dock.

Heck, a dock can be made out of wood, sanded and painted white with the current cable simply running up through it.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Interconnection specifications should never be priopietary. Talk about locking you into a single vendor for accessories, and in this case, one that can't even sell the spare cables/adapters since they don't have any stock.

Your not forced to buy it!

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
seriously? wtf is with everyone and usb 3? ITS A PHONE?!?!

Basic analysis shows that the Lightning connector has enough pins to *potentially* support USB 3.0. However the devices which currently plug in at that end wouldn't see any benefit from USB 3.0 (because the flash memory on board is still slower than USB 2.0's max rate). Of course, it's the same for any other phones on the market as well.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
I'm going to be watching this one closely. The potential exists for a cluster**** to occur. If only I could be a fly on the wall at the Genius bar status post unauthorized 3rd party vendor cable use.

Last edited by a moderator:

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Completely agree with you. Even if a circuit is required to dynamically assign the pins, that should have been implemented inside the phone and leave the cable dumb.

Next stop after market iPhone 5 Black retrofit kit.

Part of the 'smarts' involved *has* to be on the connector end. If all the 'smarts' are on the phone, how can the phone tell how it needs to configure it's pins?

In this case, the circuitry involved is pretty basic, setting it up to charge. That won't be the same signaling as for a cable that wants to request digital audio & video, or a serial connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.