Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
It's not just a phone though. People sync dozens of gigabytes of apps, music, videos and photos to it. So yeah, USB 3 *would* help.

Except that the read speeds the iPhone's NAND memory is capable of doesn't even saturate USB 2.0 and the write speeds are a fraction of the read speeds.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Can't they just come out with a charging cable for cheap? Does it need a chip for just charging? Might be a dumb question but I'd just like a "charging cable".

I don't need the functions of audio, data, etc for all my cables. I'd like to have one by my nightstand to charge, one by my work computer for charging one to toss in a bag for traveling, one in my car for charging, and one real one to use with all the bells and whistles for my home computer.

Would you really like to carry around multiple cables for different functions? Or just ONE cable that did everything? Think about it, it is Apple after all. ;)

I Am Designer™

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
London, UK
sounds sketch, ill stick to my 6 lighting cables i already have, the connector is way to small to hold up the phone on the dock, your just asking for something to snap off.

It's the first thing I thought - that the new dock connector just doesn't seem like it would support the phone securely at that angle without it putting too much stress on the connector. The depth of the docking area would have to be deeper in order to add more support to the back of the phone.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Apple forgot one accessory with the iPhone 5; lubrication. It's so sad to hear this crap that Apple is trying to pull. It should not cost $20 for a cable and $30 for adapters. I love the bidirectional nature of the plug but you should not have to get bent over for cables. Apple is the new Monster of cables.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I'll let some braver souls than me play guinea pig for awhile before I take the plunge.

George.D

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
Redwood City, California
Steve would not have allowed this mess

Apple is behaving like a half a$$ed company.

Putting a new product on the market, in this case, the iPhone 5,
with a new connector that one can't get and new software capabilities (mapping) that don't work well- Siri still doesn't work well for me when I try to get it to text via my iPhone 4S and the video podcasts do not allow me to get all of the podcast on the phone's screen when I rotate the phone 90 degrees (put it on its side). Apple is becoming a place with "half-baked"/crappy products.

I am going to wait 'til a new product has been on the market for a generation or two before I spend my money on it. I have lost faith in Apple.:(:(:(

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
The port on the Lighting end of the cable seems fairly thick (Apple original that is). I don't see why it couldn't support the iPhone 5 phone. I even held it in my hand "Free air" style and just held the bottom of the plug (white area). Gave it a slight tilt, and it doesn't seem to be heavy enough to cause any stress to the port. Which could break it.

So, just a cheap test, seems like it would be an ok port to use for docking.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Ahhh ........ the smell of free enterprise.

ahhhh..the smell of the race to the bottom. Here we see people cheering as foreign nationals skirt international law, ignore trademarks and patents, build inferior parts that they admit "crack" encryption, and may well fry your phone. If companies like Apple can not protect their innovation from this type of theft( and that is what it is) maybe they will decide that investing millions of $$ and hiring lots of people to innovate is not worthwhile and they'll stop and let us make do with what we have now. Then everyone loses.

----------

Any alternative to Apple's horrendous pricing is a good thing.

How can there be "horrendous pricing" for a product that does not even exist?

Last edited:

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Wow, I wish I could mark products up 400% in my business!

That's just for the chips they then have to build them into a cable package and deliver it, oh and pay for all the development and engineering that went into creating it in the first place. Still going to be a good markup but no where near 400%.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Apple is behaving like a half a$$ed company.

Putting a new product on the market, in this case, the iPhone 5,
with a new connector that one can't get and new software capabilities (mapping) that don't work well- Siri still doesn't work well for me when I try to get it to text via my iPhone 4S and the video podcasts do not allow me to get all of the podcast on the phone's screen when I rotate the phone 90 degrees (put it on its side). Apple is becoming a place with "half-baked"/crappy products.

I am going to wait 'til a new product has been on the market for a generation or two before I spend my money on it. I have lost faith in Apple.:(:(:(

Stop being dense. This new connector most likely had years of research behind it so obviously Steve knew about it. He died a year ago, it's not like things coming out now were thought of, planned, designed, and manufactured in 11 months.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
That's just for the chips they then have to build them into a cable package and deliver it, oh and pay for all the development and engineering that went into creating it in the first place. Still going to be a good markup but no where near 400%.

Oh come on....Stop making so much sense:) and just so everyone knows : their cracked encryption cable violates the US DMCA law and will not be allowed importation into the US.

whitesand

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
What's the point of that dock in the pictures ?

Just plug the connector into the iphone..

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The simple (and obvious) solution is for Apple to open the specs/licensing/components out to 3rd parties, not just "premium" partners, but anyone who's willing to pay a _reasonable_ amount.

As long as it's "certified", no worries, and we'll get the same low/moderate/high costs like any other peripheral. People who want to stay OEM can pay $20 for a cable, people who don't can pay $X.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
Assuming the first was included with the device, you spent $100 on 5 extra cables. And you think this is sketch? Wow...

you know what happens when you assume right? i didnt pay for ANY of the cables, they were compliments of apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.