Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNET reports on comments from DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim, who says that Apple's plans for a 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro remain on track for production during this quarter, suggesting that a launch may come in the near future.
DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim has been telling CNET for a while now that a 13.3-inch Retina version of the MacBook Pro (MBP) is slated for production in the fourth quarter. And today Shim reiterated that he sees no change in those production plans.

What's not clear is when Apple would release the new MacBook. Shim speculates that it would happen after the iPad Mini announcement -- which is expected to be released in the coming weeks -- though he said he has no first-hand knowledge of this.
Shim reiterates that the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro will carry a resolution of 2560x1600, doubling the number of pixels in each dimension over the current model. As with the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro, Apple will presumably offer the new 13-inch Retina model alongside the current non-Retina model at different price points.

macbook_pro_15_retina_side.jpg
Apple's 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro
Several other reports have indicated that production on the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro is underway ahead of a launch later this month, with new iMacs also said to be in the works. Retail shortages of the Mac mini may suggest that an update to Apple's entry-level desktop is also coming, although specific rumors about updated Mac mini models have been lacking.

Article Link: 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Reportedly Still on Track for 4Q 2012 Launch

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Well this is nice and all but what about the flacking iMacs and Mac pros :eek
This is starting to get ridiculous :mad:

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Great. But I'm holding out for the Retina MacBook Air. It will probably be a couple of years...

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Great - now bring back the 17".

Apple seems to be dropping everything not iToy. I hate to say it, but it's beginning to look like a typical selling out.

Steve Jobs built Apple and rebuilt it again, both times with money from Mac users. Now we're dinosaur liabilities. It's making me hope for the New Geek Messiah to come along (the Anti-Jobs?).

Broojo02

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
UK
If this is true then that would mean Apple is selling 3 different 13" Macbooks, it seems possibly a bit redundant :p

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I have a feeling they'll drop the 13-inch "classic" MacBook Pro once this comes out... and after the next refresh for the 15-inch rMBP, they'll drop the 15-inch classic too.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Well this is nice and all but what about the flacking iMacs and Mac pros :eek
This is starting to get ridiculous :mad:

Agreed.

Cue the "This is a post-PC era" and "Apple makes their money from notebooks and mobile devices" comments.

There is money in the professional sect, Apple used to make a great deal of profit from their PowerMac's and CCFL LCD's (and later iMac's). They CHOSE to ignore this segment, and cash in on cheaper iPad's, iPhone's and MacBook's in comparison to their power line not because it isn't profitable, because it isn't AS profitable. Professionals who need the power and have used Apple systems for years are [sadly] leaving for Windows or Unix systems that cater to their needs. Speaking with a former colleague at 1 Infinite, I was disheartened that many agree with the decision to move away from the Mac Pro.

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
What is this strange device pictured? An original iPad married to an iPad3? And what about those strange holes on the sides? Could it be the first leaks of the iPhone6?

Surely Apple isn't releasing a computer...

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Nevermind, read the whole article.. I really hope we see iMac and Mac Mini updates

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I'd have thought it would need one with so many pixels to push. Surely integrated won't be up to it.

The integrated graphics of the MBA's can push that resolution on a Thunderbolt display so I wouldn't put it past Apple to include a non integrated graphics version and then a higher end discrete graphics model, or no discrete graphics at all.

I'm with you though. There should be enough room with the optical drive gone so hopefully its included across the entire lineup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.