Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
iphone_5_box-150x271.jpg

Off topic: Everytime I look at this image, I first see it as a big cupboard/closet with the right door slightly ajar revealing the contents inside just a bit. Is it just me?

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
really? wtf are they going to launch.. they don't even have a phone to fulfill my order from almost 30 days ago... launch deeznutz apple..:mad:

I started a new job just after the iPhone 5 launched. They promised me they'd order me one since they were issuing all new employees iPhones as standard practice anyway. (I said why order me a 4s when the 5 is just coming out?)

Well, still waiting with no shipping date from AT&T in sight.... Meanwhile, other co-workers are walking around with their 5's they got just by walking into a local Apple store early enough in the morning. It's really kind of insulting. I mean, why bother with a pre-order if they won't even fulfill them while they sell more new phones to people off the street in the meantime?

Hmm same time I am expecting my back/pre-order. Dont know if this is good, they are ramping up supplies and have plenty, or bad my order gets pushed because supplies are limited. :confused:

To all of you complaining about Apple launching in other countries while you're still waiting for yours to arrive...

Aside from the person who said they've been waiting almost 30 days, you all clearly saw the "3-4 weeks" shipping estimate and assuming you are still within that time frame I don't think you have a valid complaint. If you're outside of that window (or ordered when the estimate was less than that) then yes, you have a valid complaint.

This same logic applies to complaining about waiting for orders when others are able to buy as "walk-ins" at the stores. This whole thing is a bit of a game and its nothing new. You take your chances either way, but at the end of the day NOTHING is guaranteed. If you pre-order/order for delivery you are agreeing to Apple's ESTIMATE of delivery. You may get it earlier or not.

Same with people upset because they can't just walk into an Apple store and have a pile of iPhone 5's fall onto their head. You could've have pre-ordered on launch day and would likely have your phone by now.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I agree. I am waiting and waiting for my pre-order through my company. It sucks that I have to wait while others I work with that are not on the company's plan have already received their iPhone 5.

I started a new job just after the iPhone 5 launched. They promised me they'd order me one since they were issuing all new employees iPhones as standard practice anyway. (I said why order me a 4s when the 5 is just coming out?)

Well, still waiting with no shipping date from AT&T in sight.... Meanwhile, other co-workers are walking around with their 5's they got just by walking into a local Apple store early enough in the morning. It's really kind of insulting. I mean, why bother with a pre-order if they won't even fulfill them while they sell more new phones to people off the street in the meantime?

You guys should be glad your company will pay for you to carry an iPhone 5 rather than complain that the folks who had to shell out their own money got their's first. I would be willing to wait if my employer would buy me one.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
The levels of entitlement are depressing here. We have people from countries who get everything ahead of other places (The USA and my beloved UK being two) moaning that they should have their pre-orders before anyone else is even allowed to order the damn device. Why? What gives you the right to demand preferential treatment ahead of these apparent lesser nations?

Listen, this is very simple: when you pre-ordered your device you were told an estimated shipping window. It was your choice to pre-order. You went ahead. You have no right to say that others shouldn't be able to buy in other territories just because the shipping window you agreed to is still open.

Your shipping date was calculated with demand from other regions factored in. Therefore the iPhone 5 launching in other places has no effect on your order. So, please, stop moaning about a service that you agreed to and be happy that your brothers and sisters, fellow members of the human race, who just happen to have been born within a different set of imaginary lines on a map someplace (many of whom will have had a far harder life than you because of it) can now go and queue up for something you were free to queue up for weeks ago if you'd been bothered.

Apple doesn't owe you anything and... I'll say this slow because some people really need to hear it... YOU. ARE. NOT. SPECIAL.

turaco

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
The levels of entitlement are depressing here. We have people from countries who get everything ahead of other places (The USA and my beloved UK being two) moaning that they should have their pre-orders before anyone else is even allowed to order the damn device. Why? What gives you the right to demand preferential treatment ahead of these apparent lesser nations?

Listen, this is very simple: when you pre-ordered your device you were told an estimated shipping window. It was your choice to pre-order. You went ahead. You have no right to say that others shouldn't be able to buy in other territories just because the shipping window you agreed to is still open.

Your shipping date was calculated with demand from other regions factored in. Therefore the iPhone 5 launching in other places has no effect on your order. So, please, stop moaning about a service that you agreed to and be happy that your brothers and sisters, fellow members of the human race, who just happen to have been born within a different set of imaginary lines on a map someplace (many of whom will have had a far harder life than you because of it) can now go and queue up for something you were free to queue up for weeks ago if you'd been bothered.

Apple doesn't owe you anything and... I'll say this slow because some people really need to hear it... YOU. ARE. NOT. SPECIAL.

you know what man, i could care less if in the uk iphone 5 gets lunched at the same time as the US or India.....Apple is an american company, founded and operating in US......enough said...oh and yeah, You, are not special.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
You guys should be glad your company will pay for you to carry an iPhone 5 rather than complain that the folks who had to shell out their own money got their's first. I would be willing to wait if my employer would buy me one.

My company will not pay for the device just the service. It is part of the compensation package.

While I want the iPhone 5 to come ASAP I'm waiting like everyone else. Certainly we are not special.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
you know what man, i could care less if in the uk iphone 5 gets lunched at the same time as the US or India.....Apple is an american company, founded and operating in US......enough said...oh and yeah, You, are not special.

Of course. Your iPhone that was assembled by Chinese people, designed by a team led by an Englishman, including components and technologies invented and patented in Europe, Asia and North America built with rare Earth minerals mined in Africa, South America and Australia should absolutely only be sold only in the USA until all Americans have their devices... right. You realise what you sound like, right?

And, yes, I'm not special. I'm not the one claiming to be.

turaco

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Of course. Your iPhone that was assembled by Chinese people, designed by a team led by an Englishman, including components and technologies invented and patented in Europe, Asia and North America built with rare Earth minerals mined in Africa, South America and Australia should absolutely only be sold only in the USA until all Americans have their devices... right. You realise what you sound like, right?

And, yes, I'm not special. I'm not the one claiming to be.

calm down man, you sure are doing a lot of bitching for somebody whose country got the iphone released from launch.....as far as the englishman, sir Jonathan is doing a fine job....

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
calm down man, you sure are doing a lot of bitching for somebody whose country got the iphone released from launch.....as far as the englishman, sir Jonathan is doing a fine job....

Sorry, who's bitching?

You seem to have reading comprehension problems. Either that or memory loss. I feel bad for you, kid. Have a nice day now.

MBP13

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
How about they fulfill the orders of US customers who have been patiently waiting for their iPhone to be shipped instead of beginning shipping the phones in another country?

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I ordered on the 19th.. Still waiting for my AT&T shipment to go beyond pending shipment. Was told 14-21 days and well its past 14 days already and now I am still waiting..

BestBuy local had them in stock and I waited because I was assured it would be a few days only. Next time I won't pre-order..

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Yes, we are.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=USA+GDP+vs+g3
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=american+spending
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_Five

Should also mention that this is Apple's home country. You, my friend, are using products that came from an American corporation. If you don't feel the country is special, I encourage you to stop using things that were created/innovated/designed in that, magical non-special country. Shove off.

Wow. Here I was thinking that maybe we'd get some humility. Let's get something clear - I didn't say America was not special. Clearly the USA is a very fine country indeed. One of the great countries in the world. You, my friend, are a human being. No more special than any other. Perhaps you were born in the USA... well done you. However did you plan that? It was luck, was it? Oh, well in that case...

Of course, it'd probably be lost on you if I tried to explain how America and Apple exist in a world economy and that vital, pivotal aspects of various technologies would not exist otherwise. I could explain that the internet was pioneered by people like Tim Berners-Lee and that 3G technologies, LTE, battery tech, touch screens, CPUs, bits of code and various other components which go into making the iPhone would not exist today if not for the work and efforts of people from all over this wonderful planet. I could explain that without the economies of scale that come from selling products to we lesser humans, we non-Americans, your iPhone couldn't even be produced or, if it was, you'd pay a small fortune for one. I could explain that Apple may be a company founded in America but that it has operations, customers and shareholders in hundreds of countries and the money of those nations is just as good as your American dollars. I could, but you'd probably start to dribble. So I won't.

I, on the other hand, am happy to be part of this world economy and the human race which also exists in places outside of the USA (who knew!?), so I have no issue with buying products which have been designed in places like the USA and include parts that owe their existence to dozens of nations. Perhaps, since you seem so jingoistic, you should stop buying Apple products since they're built in China? Maybe you don't want a product designed by a team lead by an Englishman and requiring the use of technologies created in Japan, Germany, Canada, various European nations and more besides? I mean, if it's not USA it's not A-OK, right? No?

Or, you know, maybe you'll grow up. Maybe. Just maybe.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Yes, we are.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=USA+GDP+vs+g3
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=american+spending
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_Five

Should also mention that this is Apple's home country. You, my friend, are using products that came from an American corporation. If you don't feel the country is special, I encourage you to stop using things that were created/innovated/designed in that, magical non-special country. Shove off.

:facepalm:

Using your logic, maybe you should be the one not using Apple products because they are not paying proper tribute to their "home country" by ensuring that every man, woman and child who ordered an iP5 receive it before sharing with other countries.

Also, read this post (from above) in case you missed it. And if you didn't miss it, read it again.

Zunjine said:

You do realize that Apple's sales to non-US countries are larger than what they sell in the US?
http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/24/apples-iphone-sales-in-china-are-up-by-fivefold-from-a-year-ago/screen-shot-2012-04-24-at-1-50-43-pm/

LondonIsCalling

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
don't see the point

I don't see the point of launching the device in more countries if they cannot even supply those already "launched".

Stores here in Portugal opened on day 1 with 3 to 4 phones per store and not even all stores of the same chain had the product.

I came to a store at opening time. There was no line. When the store opened, there was no phone to sell. It must be a joke.

I bought one online and the arrival time is 4 weeks. Still waiting for November 5 ETA.

What is the point of having more countries suffer this calvary?

The launch here in Portugal was a joke, as usual at every launch.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Nobody cares about the iPhone in India. Apple has lost the market share battle there a long time ago. Android and Blackberry own the Indian market. Its the truth.

turaco

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
I don't see the point of launching the device in more countries if they cannot even supply those already "launched".

Stores here in Portugal opened on day 1 with 3 to 4 phones per store and not even all stores of the same chain had the product.

I came to a store at opening time. There was no line. When the store opened, there was no phone to sell. It must be a joke.

I bought one online and the arrival time is 4 weeks. Still waiting for November 5 ETA.

What is the point of having more countries suffer this calvary?

The launch here in Portugal was a joke, as usual at every launch.

Exactly.....what is the point of a global lunch when you cannot even supply the countries it was initially released on?

DevilInDisguise

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
I was really eager to get my hands on the iphone 5 for a long time now.. but now when its finally launched, and when i look at the S3, i doubt myself/iphone 5.

Many arent happy with the iPhone 5. When you look back at its previous launches, Apple always gave us something new and the iPhone was always ahead of all other phones.

With the launch of the iphone 5, all its given us that i see as a strong point is a 4 inch screen which still isnt big enough. When you look at the 4.8" of the S3's screen, I want my hands on that.

Android being more flexible with widgets n stuff, but iOS being just icons.. its OSnow actually is behind google's android OS. Theres not much you can do with iOS as compared to android. Theres soo many improvements i can think of that is needed in iOS, simple ones, its funny.

Apple is just a craze.. Less functionality and just show off. Android, more functionality but lacks the elegance of apples physical design of its phones. Cant believe i just said this.. My friends would be completely shocked if they saw this coming from me who always thought the iphone was better than all other phones till now.. Im not completely convinced yet, but the s3, has made think..

This is coming from an apple fan in India, who waited desperately for a year to get the iphone when it first launched. So got the iphone 3g a month after it launched here. The first model never launched here. Used it for 3 years, hoping to buy the supposedly rumored iphone 5 which this site said it was gonna be last year. Since it didnt and it was just a 4S, I gave the 3g to my mom, picked up the lumia 800, hoping to come back to an iphone again this year, coz i didnt like android's OS at all till some time back, coz i found it ugly.. But now finally when the phone has launched and i compare it to the s3, android seems to have got a nice makeover.. OS looks nice. n iOS doesnt.. atleast not that much anymore with just icons all over the screen n it being just a 4" screen only..

Im gonna wait till the phone launches.. compare it side by side with the s3, and pick up a phone for myself..

----------

Nobody cares about the iPhone in India. Apple has lost the market share battle there a long time ago. Android and Blackberry own the Indian market. Its the truth.
True. Most seem to think its **** already.. I cant believe im saying this lol..

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England

If ignorance were bliss, you would be the autocrat of a one-man utopia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.