Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Ok so since Apple is moving our @Me.com emails to @iCloud.com, shouldn't they allow us to change our primary Apple ID too? Since it's technically the same server.

I have XX@me.com as my primary ID and XX@icloud.com as an alias. Is there any word on if I'll be able to only see XX@icloud.com when I sign into iTunes/App Store/iCloud etc?

I'm guessing their system isn't sophisticated enough to realize that XX@Me.com is the same as XX@iCloud.com.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
This is so frustrating. I have an @gmail account as my primary Apple ID , but recently signed up for Apple's mail and was given an @me.com email address. Now I will have @icloud in addition to that and I can't make either of these my primary Apple ID.

So I have a gmail address that I willingly want to let go of in favor of Apple, but Apple won't let me rid myself of Google of all things - forcing me to see @gmail.com for my primary Apple ID when I'd prefer @icloud.com. Bizarre.:confused::mad:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
@mac, @me and @icloud are all the same accounts.

Moving on.....

----------

This is so frustrating. I have an @gmail account as my primary Apple ID , but recently signed up for Apple's mail and was given an @me.com email address. Now I will have @icloud in addition to that and I can't make either of these my primary Apple ID.

So I have a gmail address that I willingly want to let go of in favor of Apple, but Apple won't let me rid myself of Google of all things - forcing me to see @gmail.com for my primary Apple ID when I'd prefer @icloud.com. Bizarre.:confused::mad:

Yeah it's just really weird. I was in your shoes but then just stopped using Gmail for my Apple ID and just had Me.Com as my ID.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Moving on.....

----------

Yeah it's just really weird. I was in your shoes but then just stopped using Gmail for my Apple ID and just had Me.Com as my ID.

I spoke with AppleCare about this last night and was told that Apple is temporarily blocking it's own domains as Apple ID's due to some sort of server issue it causes. He said that at some point you will be able to use your @me or @icloud address as your primary email/Apple ID but just can't at this time. So, we'll see...:(

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I have already used my @iCloud.com email address to sign into iTunes with success.

It's actually using the email address to send and receive email that just doesn't work for me.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I have already used my @iCloud.com email address to sign into iTunes with success.

It's actually using the email address to send and receive email that just doesn't work for me.

It's not that @me or @icloud won't work to sign in, it's that you can't officially assign it as your Apple ID on Apple's ID management page. Because of this, I am forced to see my @gmail account as my ID in iTunes and other places on my iPhone.

What I want to do is completely disassociate that address with my Apple ID altogether and right now I am not able to do so.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
It's not that @me or @icloud won't work to sign in, it's that you can't officially assign it as your Apple ID on Apple's ID management page. Because of this, I am forced to see my @gmail account as my ID in iTunes and other places on my iPhone.

What I want to do is completely disassociate that address with my Apple ID altogether and right now I am not able to do so.

Yes, you're right. Actually, that's exactly what I've been trying to figure out too on my Apple ID management page since I got the @icloud.com email address. I wish i could replace @me with @icloud as my Apple ID.

I wish there was an "edit" link next to the Apple ID and primary Email Address so we could change it.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Someone posted in this forum a few days ago that they were able to change their Primary (gmail) Apple ID to the new iCloud one. I think this is Apple's plan but they are apparently in the process of converting everyone over.

Apple has already added icloud emails to everyone's account and some people can receive email at their new icloud address already but most people can't yet. Tim Cook said it would be implemented over the next few weeks and people would be notified by email when things are ready.

So have patience, it looks like we'll finally be able to simplify and unify our Apple ID/iCloud accounts.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Someone posted in this forum a few days ago that they were able to change their Primary (gmail) Apple ID to the new iCloud one. I think this is Apple's plan but they are apparently in the process of converting everyone over.

Apple has already added icloud emails to everyone's account and some people can receive email at their new icloud address already but most people can't yet. Tim Cook said it would be implemented over the next few weeks and people would be notified by email when things are ready.

So have patience, it looks like we'll finally be able to simplify and unify our Apple ID/iCloud accounts.

Anyone have an update on this? It looks like I now have @icloud as an option to send from but still can't get that as my primary AppleID.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Anyone have an update on this? It looks like I now have @icloud as an option to send from but still can't get that as my primary AppleID.

Nothing yet for me. Just checked my Apple ID management page and still no way to edit my primary ID.

On the flip side at least, my @icloud email address finally works too.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Nothing yet for me. Just checked my Apple ID management page and still no way to edit my primary ID.

On the flip side at least, my @icloud email address finally works too.

Ok. I want to keep this thread alive. Apple's official support article for the transition to @icloud addresses states that they will be rolling it out over a few weeks (this was back on 9/19) and that users would be notified by email. Has anyone received an official email from Apple about their @me.com address now having @icloud.com accompanying it? I have not even though it is now available to send from in my Mail.:confused:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Ok. I want to keep this thread alive. Apple's official support article for the transition to @icloud addresses states that they will be rolling it out over a few weeks (this was back on 9/19) and that users would be notified by email. Has anyone received an official email from Apple about their @me.com address now having @icloud.com accompanying it? I have not even though it is now available to send from in my Mail.:confused:

I got the mail today ... Same .icloud and .me; didn't yet looked into details

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5441

All new iCloud Mail accounts now come with an @icloud.com email address. As an existing user, we'd like to offer you this new address as well. We have reserved XXXXXXX@icloud.com for you, and you can now use this address with your iOS devices and computers by following these simple instructions.
If you prefer, you can continue to use your current email address just as you always have.
No matter which address you use, you'll continue to receive all your mail, whether it's sent to your @me.com, @mac.com, or @icloud.com address

Last edited:

The Englishman

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
The daft thing is....

When I log on to iCloud.com and click on my name within iCloud.com it always shows my iCloud.com email as the Apple Id. And that happens whether I sign in using the primary apple id (gmail in my case) or the iCloud.com apple id.

Of course it's the exact opposite when I log on to Manage Your Apple Id'!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.