Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickolaubr

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Because he is BSing, thats why :p. Either that or he was dreaming when he wrote that and he probably just woke up.

If you're a legitimate ATT or VZ user and is not eligible for an upgrade, apple allows you to buy a full price unit.

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
is this something you know yourself or have read? I'm looking for someone's first hand experience on this (or link to it).

Verizon models of previous generations weren't automatically factory unlocked, so seeing that "Congrats" screen is reassurance to me that it truly is factory unlocked... and not just a temporary thing either that can be later revoked.

I bought a 16gb iPhone 5 from VZW re-seller (Target), on a 2-year contract for $199. I accepted the carrier settings update to Verizon13.1 to fix the wifi/cellular data bug. I was scared that update may have broken the unlock, but had no way to check it.

My co-worker just got his iPhone 5 on AT&T. I asked him if I could pop his nano-sim into my Verizon iPhone 5 just to see if this thing truly came to me unlocked. Two minutes later, my Verizon iPhone 5 was showing full coverage on AT&T "4G" (HSPA+), albeit with my co-workers phone number tied to it.

I popped my Verizon LTE SIM card back into my phone, happy I had confirmed the unlock.

Never got a screen in iTunes. The phone was unlocked out of the box.

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
If you're a legitimate ATT or VZ user and is not eligible for an upgrade, apple allows you to buy a full price unit.
that works, but only to an extent -- I know cuz I took advantage of that too for a while. I was hoping you knew of a different way to reserve full-priced iphone 5 online :(

my line (with 4S) wasn't eligible for early upgrade until Oct 8th... but instead the online reserve system would allow me to purchase iphone 5 at FULL PRICE without extending my contract (as you suggest here). I did this 3 times no problem -- each one was confirmed "factory unlocked". This worked really well actually..... until I reached my early upgrade date :/

on Oct 8th, since I was suddenly eligible to upgrade my line, I no longer had the option to pay full price for an iphone 5 online. I needed more iphones so I went ahead and bought another phone using that early upgrade. the problem is, now when I try to repeat the same trick as before, I get this message:
We are unable to upgrade this account.

We are sorry, but this account cannot be upgraded at this time.
looks like this gig is up once you become eligible :(

Bonilla

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
México.
Same question for all the smart people here; I want to buy an unlocked iPhone 5 next week in the US to use in Mexico. Which model should I get?

Thanks!

If you are with Telcel, you must buy a GSM model
Iusacell go for Verizon model.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010

Read the original post. The guy said he pre-ordered on the 14th (a full price unit). As far as I remember, that was NOT possible on the 14th (preorder)

Here is the original post I was referring to as BS.

Originally Posted by ixybengal
We have two 64gb white ATT " device only " from APPLE. Preordered on the 14th, Delivered on Oct 1. Both units are flawless, no dents; no scuffs.

stunn3r

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Its been 20 days since i5's launch. I guess everyone would know what I am going to ask:

I am no previous customer of any carrier in US. I am just here for a month. I want GSM model. what should I do. I am in Washington.

1.) go to apple store and ask for a "device-only" . Is it possible in Washington ?

2.) Go to AT&T store ask for off-contract? will you get this in washington? I know that restore it with itunes, you'll get it unlocked.
I could order it from AT&T site by selecting "no-commitment" option, but from there it is necessary for you to choose atleast a month's plan. I dont wanna waste that money on months plan.

3.) Same as AT&T but I am not sure verizon give GSM or not.

So my concern is, I just want a "device-only" or an off-contract GSM - iphone 5 , will it possible in washington with in $649 + taxes ?? I dont want to pay extra bucks for a month plan. THat would be of no use.

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Its been 20 days since i5's launch. I guess everyone would know what I am going to ask:

I am no previous customer of any carrier in US. I am just here for a month. I want GSM model. what should I do. I am in Washington.

1.) go to apple store and ask for a "device-only" . Is it possible in Washington ?

2.) Go to AT&T store ask for off-contract? will you get this in washington? I know that restore it with itunes, you'll get it unlocked.
I could order it from AT&T site by selecting "no-commitment" option, but from there it is necessary for you to choose atleast a month's plan. I dont wanna waste that money on months plan.

3.) Same as AT&T but I am not sure verizon give GSM or not.

So my concern is, I just want a "device-only" or an off-contract GSM - iphone 5 , will it possible in washington with in $649 + taxes ?? I dont want to pay extra bucks for a month plan. THat would be of no use.

If you find it in an Apple Store without reserving online (you must choose a plan with a contract online), you should be able to get it as a device only.

If you don't care about LTE, it should not matter if you get AT&T or Verizon model as they both support the same 3G GSM bands.

AT&T version only supports LTE on AT&T in the US and also in Canada.
Verizon version only supports LTE on Verizon in the US, and also in Japan and some carriers in Europe.

All Verizon models are unlocked for GSM (even if bought with contract), and AT&T models are unlocked if you buy them contract-free from Apple.

Carrier stores would most likely not sell you a phone without a plan, even if you pay full price without a contract, so you'll have to buy it and then call them and cancel your plan (you'll probably have to pay first month and activation fee). Also, if you buy it from AT&T, then it should be locked even if you pay full price and you'd have to contact AT&T to unlock it (or buy a cheap unlock on eBay).

PeterTran

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
If you find it in an Apple Store without reserving online (you must choose a plan with a contract online), you should be able to get it as a device only.

If you don't care about LTE, it should not matter if you get AT&T or Verizon model as they both support the same 3G GSM bands.

Verizon version only supports LTE on Verizon in the US, and also in Japan and some carriers in Europe.

All Verizon models are unlocked for GSM (even if bought with contract), and AT&T models are unlocked if you buy them contract-free from Apple.

Carrier stores would most likely not sell you a phone without a plan, even if you pay full price without a contract, so you'll have to buy it and then call them and cancel your plan (you'll probably have to pay first month and activation fee). Also, if you buy it from AT&T, then it should be locked even if you pay full price and you'd have to contact AT&T to unlock it (or buy a cheap unlock on eBay).

He knows what he is talking about ^

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010

yes, the only issue is figuring out how find one in store to buy D:

nanchen242

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Ive been calling the 5 major apple stores here in nyc and they all refuse to sell it to me w.o a contract? Why wont they sell it to me full price w.o a contract? Their techinically making more money out of it. Some say its b.c of resellers :(

PeterTran

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Ive been calling the 5 major apple stores here in nyc and they all refuse to sell it to me w.o a contract? Why wont they sell it to me full price w.o a contract? Their techinically making more money out of it. Some say its b.c of resellers :(

Wow...i am glad i dont live in nyc...i live in socal and we dont have many or any iphone 5's in stock but i rather not see them than see tham but i cant buy them

futbollisti

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012

I read all the posts here and something does not add up.
In europe we use GSM not CDMA so how is possible that you guys advise us (europeans, i am in the netherlands right now) to purchase the Verizon version while that is a CDMA version???
I do not see it working in europe...
what am i not considering?

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I read all the posts here and something does not add up.
In europe we use GSM not CDMA so how is possible that you guys advise us (europeans, i am in the netherlands right now) to purchase the Verizon version while that is a CDMA version???
I do not see it working in europe...
what am i not considering?

It has a sim card slot as well. All you gotta do is insert the sim and you are ready to roll.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
You cannot buy a phone at apple stores without a contract for now on the iphone 5

Yes you can, me and a close friend bought 18 on launch day and sold them all on eBay... Limit is 2 per person, but he had some friends with us... We weren't even sprint Verizon or AT&T customers... We bought all 18 iPhones AT&T version, and they were all unlocked out of the box...

PeterTran

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Yes you can, me and a close friend bought 18 on launch day and sold them all on eBay... Limit is 2 per person, but he had some friends with us... We weren't even sprint Verizon or AT&T customers... We bought all 18 iPhones AT&T version, and they were all unlocked out of the box...

so you were the ones who depleted the att iphone 5 stocks )_T

ixybengal

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Read the original post. The guy said he pre-ordered on the 14th (a full price unit). As far as I remember, that was NOT possible on the 14th (preorder)

Here is the original post I was referring to as BS.

That's funny. Just because you couldn't get Apple to sell you iphone 5 full price and you called BS. I have attached my invoice receipt from Apple.
Apple store actually put in the order for me on the 14th.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 11, 16 06 51.jpg
    Photo Oct 11, 16 06 51.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 763

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I was in an Apple Store yesterday and they were going to sell me either an AT&T or Verizon iPhone 5 at full price for use on T-Mobile. I decided to wait for the factory unlocked version to be available.

nanchen242

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
I was in an Apple Store yesterday and they were going to sell me either an AT&T or Verizon iPhone 5 at full price for use on T-Mobile. I decided to wait for the factory unlocked version to be available.

lucky you, here in nyc they have a policy to not sell iphone 5's w.o a contract at all.

PeterTran

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012

the att one is factory unlocked at full price.... which store was this btw?

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
That's funny. Just because you couldn't get Apple to sell you iphone 5 full price and you called BS. I have attached my invoice receipt from Apple.
Apple store actually put in the order for me on the 14th.

In that case, i stand corrected. But I was referring to the ONLINE pre-order process, not in-store. Congrats on finding a workaround.

ixybengal

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
In that case, i stand corrected. But I was referring to the ONLINE pre-order process, not in-store. Congrats on finding a workaround.

You just have to keep trying. Seems like there are people that are able to purchased the phone full price at certain store or maybe with certain sale's staff. From what I have read, it seems you can also by-pass contract price online and purchase as full price. Which I didn't try so don't quote me on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.