Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Hello all,

i am planning to go sprint route, just bcoz they offer unlimited data. in my area we have sprint LTE.

What are the chances or if its even possible ? to use sprint iphone 5 as a wifi router ( when iphone 5 ios 6 jailbreak is available )

Is there anybody using their old jailbreak iphone ( 4 / 4s ) as a wifi router for internet ????

please advice me..thanks

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I haven't gotten caught yet using TetherMe on my 4S. While I don't use it too much and never download anything on it, they never sent me any warning. I just use it for internet/youtube when my internet is down or Im out.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I haven't gotten caught yet using TetherMe on my 4S. While I don't use it too much and never download anything on it, they never sent me any warning. I just use it for internet/youtube when my internet is down or Im out.

Sprint offers unlimited data however I've heard that they are the slowest out of the big 3

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
LTE is spotty but 15mbps minimum. On 3G, I've never gotten slower than 1.5mbps. I usually get 3, and it works just fine for web and youtube in HQ.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I had sprint in college back in the early 2000's. They were my first cell phone carrier. I thought they had very good reception but then I moved to a different city in 2005 and I had to go outside my apartment to make a phone call the service was so bad and that is when I dumped them and got Verizon.

I switched to AT&T when the 1st iPhone came out, however Verizon out of the 3 carriers had the best coverage by far

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
Not just slow, turtle slow.
Most places get edge 2G speeds with their so called cdma 3G service.
And their LTE is in very few cities so far.

I have a 4s on Sprint, I know first hand. I never thought I'd own a smartphone with dial-up speeds. The only way I can get past .25mbps downloads is if I'm at 5 bars and near a cell tower, anywhere else and I'm at .25mbps or less. Siri's unusable 90% of the time and the other 10% requires divine patience.

LTE Sprint? You might as well change carriers. The bad part is I have someone who uses a non-Apple smartphone on 3G on their CDMA network that has very respectable speeds (averaging 2.5Mbps) yet using my 4s produces dismal speeds which leads me to believe there's something wrong with the iPhone on Sprint's network.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Sprint 3g is just as fast as VzN 3g (in my area at least)

I used to tether about 15gb a month for a few months when I didn't have an ISP and Sprint never said a word.

yes it is slow (about .6mbps) but when you have nothing else at the time anything is "doable".

for me personally (keeping in mind I don't have 4g in my area for any carrier) I rather have unlimited data and not have to worry about seeing if I have reached my "cap" for the month.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
I don't think I've ever read about Sprint tracking tethering down like AT&T does.

100 KB/s is an average download speed for me when I'm in good service. Basically a megabit, I can sometimes crack 100KB/s. That's pretty much the minimum at which browsing the web is even usable for me.

Once the iPhone5 is jailbroken, tethering on Sprint LTE should be awesome.

LTE Sprint? You might as well change carriers.

Sprint is going nuts right now nationwide improving existing 3G towers, while adding LTE support to many new markets. It's due to be complete in 2013. Now is definitely NOT the time to give up on Sprint! It's called "Network Vision." I've noticed random improvements in my region already, better data speeds where previously they were garbage.

Hypothetically, if Sprint has 15mbps LTE, what's the difference going to be if it's even a little slower than the competitors? That's more than enough for an HD Facetime call to stream fluidly, or even HD video.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sprint is going nuts right now nationwide improving existing 3G towers, while adding LTE support to many new markets. It's due to be complete in 2013. Now is definitely NOT the time to give up on Sprint! It's called "Network Vision." I've noticed random improvements in my region already, better data speeds where previously they were garbage.

Hypothetically, if Sprint has 15mbps LTE, what's the difference going to be if it's even a little slower than the competitors? That's more than enough for an HD Facetime call to stream fluidly, or even HD video.

They're nowhere near as going nuts addint LTE.
They are the slowest out of all major carriers and I dont ever see them catching up with Verizon or AT&T.
If you want to sit there and hope and dream of a better network in the future is up to you. I rather not waste my monthly fees and use a carrier that works. Not one that sucks and cannot be tolerated for both speeds, reliability and customer support.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
They're nowhere near as going nuts addint LTE.
They are the slowest out of all major carriers and I dont ever see them catching up with Verizon or AT&T.
If you want to sit there and hope and dream of a better network in the future is up to you. I rather not waste my monthly fees and use a carrier that works. Not one that sucks and cannot be tolerated for both speeds, reliability and customer support.

You are right...but its impoving very fast. last weeek i joined sprint just bcoz they have LTE in my are, but then i found out that they dont have LTe near my work. so i swiched to verizon, nice speed, but i noticed in 2 days i used 300 MB, and that also not too much activity....So i again switched to sprint...and today i have LTE at my work.... 8-18 mbps down and 6-15 mbps UP.

i can leave with that much spped. you really dont need more then 5 mbps as long as u got continuously.....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You are right...but its impoving very fast. last weeek i joined sprint just bcoz they have LTE in my are, but then i found out that they dont have LTe near my work. so i swiched to verizon, nice speed, but i noticed in 2 days i used 300 MB, and that also not too much activity....So i again switched to sprint...and today i have LTE at my work.... 8-18 mbps down and 6-15 mbps UP.

i can leave with that much spped. you really dont need more then 5 mbps as long as u got continuously.....

Wow, so in 3 days Sprint updated from cdma to LTE near your work?:D
If their LTE roll out went that fast everywhere they would be done in a month nationwide.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
I agree, Sprint is WAY behind the ball, and their target date for being done with the entire rollout is the end of 2013... BUT, it is happening, and some people are lucky enough to be getting LTE in their local markets already. It's just a regional thing. If you've got it, great, if not, you'll probably want to go Verizon.

Luckily for me, their network should be fully rolled out right around the time I'm eligible to upgrade to a 5S :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.