Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMonkey13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Gurnee, Illinois
I have two iPhones coming off contract in a few weeks. I understand that ATT will let me unlock them after they are out of contract. Will I get more $$$ if I do that or does it not matter?

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I have two iPhones coming off contract in a few weeks. I understand that ATT will let me unlock them after they are out of contract. Will I get more $$$ if I do that or does it not matter?
on craigslist, probably not, but yes if you plan on selling it on ebay.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
I have literally handled, unlocked and sold hundreds of iPhones. It will def make it more marketable. For the less than $10 it will cost to have it unlocked it will double or triple your selling audience.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
I am selling my 4 and want to unlock it. Is going through AT&T the best and easiest way? Once it's unlocked, does anything on the phone change? I am selling it, so I will need to figure out how to remove everything off of it. I wasn't sure if having it unlocked also restored it to new?

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I am selling my 4 and want to unlock it. Is going through AT&T the best and easiest way? Once it's unlocked, does anything on the phone change? I am selling it, so I will need to figure out how to remove everything off of it. I wasn't sure if having it unlocked also restored it to new?

Get it unlocked via eBay / AT&T, then restore it once you've received a confirmation from either party. All of your information will be removed, and the phone will also be unlocked. Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.