Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colloc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Hi,

I am currently running 10.8.2 now.

I don't know why but when I type in the search/address bar of Safari 6, just a few words only (I haven't pressed "Enter" yet,) then the search form automatically submits itself either to an autocompleted address or to a Google search.

It's like this:

1/ I type in "macr" in to the address bar
2/ Safari 6 shows the address autocomplete suggestion for macrumors.com
(Haven't pressed Enter or anything yet)
3/ Safari goes straight to macrumors.com without my consent

It happens so frequently I am getting annoyed. Anyone getting the same problem?

----------

By Safari 6 address bar I mean this:
sRhDR.png

Update - April 2, 2014:
It's been a while since I created this thread, and I'm surprised to see it's still alive and that many people are still experiencing this bug (or feature?). I confirm that it also happens in Mavericks, and can be quite annoying at times.

Anyway, I think our efforts of complaining finally paid off - after almost 2 years, Apple finally decided to release a patch for this bug:

I will give it a try and see if it fixes the problem

Last edited:

colloc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
update: it happens when I don't touch the address bar for a while.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
I had the same problem yesterday with Google. Today I deleted my history and it's okay for now.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Could it be because of the history?

No, but since history is erased there is nothing to autocomplete so it won't do what you have.
You could do a few things, try resetting Safari, it should be under the safari Menu in Menu Bar.
If that does not help, clear the caches in your home folder.
Or, delete the com.Apple.Safari.plist file in your preferences folder.
Last thing you could do is to move the Safari folder in your Library folder to the desktop, if that does not work put it back.

colloc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
No, but since history is erased there is nothing to autocomplete so it won't do what you have.
You could do a few things, try resetting Safari, it should be under the safari Menu in Menu Bar.
Last thing you could do is to move the Safari folder in your Library folder to the desktop, if that does not work put it back.

I'm gonna try what you suggest. But it seems like this is not a common problem to everyone. Hmm.

colloc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012

It seems the problem ceased for a while. I think I will do a clean install anyway just to see whether the problem is because of my ML installation

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
It seems the problem ceased for a while. I think I will do a clean install anyway just to see whether the problem is because of my ML installation

It's not, I did a clean install and still had the problem.

Edie Brickell

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
It's new feature in safari 6,if you type any word or match first time it will give you instant results or it's just like Goggle Instant. It will provide you searches very fast.

Vandefilm

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
It's not a bug, its a feature :D.

I have no trouble working with it. I use the 'tags' (?) mostly because I always use the same sites, but if I have to type in an address manualy I just type fast and ignore the autocomplete. No problems for me.

colloc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
It's not a bug, its a feature :D.

I have no trouble working with it. I use the 'tags' (?) mostly because I always use the same sites, but if I have to type in an address manualy I just type fast and ignore the autocomplete. No problems for me.

But many times I pause during typing to think/remember what I want to type in, and Safari just acts smart and press enter for me. Plus this feature is so inconsistent (only work at random times) I'd rather live without it.

seqiro

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2007
I'm glad I wasn't imagining it. I just started noticing this and it's driving me nuts! Sometimes I start typing something and before I've even finished typing the first word Safari just goes somewhere on its own. And I'm not a slow typist.

Annoying.

elchemor

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Abu Dhabi - UAE
and i thought i was having imagination issues as well loll !!!! glad to see someone else having the same problem !

would love to see what's causing this..... and how to fix it !

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
what really pisses me off is when i open safari and I start typing in the address bar, google's homepage finishes loading and then magically, instead of continuing to type in the address bar, I've been moved to the google search box on the webpage and I'm typing an incomplete sentence because I was originally typing in the address but then was moved to the webpage's search box...

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Bizarre. I've never experienced this issue. If I type Macr into the address bar, Safari will autocomplete the URL and show the drop down box. It will never go to the page automatically.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
what really pisses me off is when i open safari and I start typing in the address bar, google's homepage finishes loading and then magically, instead of continuing to type in the address bar, I've been moved to the google search box on the webpage and I'm typing an incomplete sentence because I was originally typing in the address but then was moved to the webpage's search box...

That's the main reason that I've changed my homepage to an empty page rather than Google. There's a script on the Google page that basically says "when loading is complete, set focus to the search box". I despise software that steals focus and this is no exception!

As for the issue mentioned by the OP, I had it for the first time yesterday. I haven't had it again since so I'll have to wait and see whether it repeats itself.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Thank GOD other people have this issue!

It's happening to me more and more. It'll keep taking me to sites I don't want to go to! I was trying to get to discussions.apple.com to actually search about this very issue but Safari took me to docs.unity3d.com instead.

This has GOT to be a bug. There's no way it's a feature. It's far too inconsistent.

leotreasure

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
A fix

Hi I think I just worked out how to temporarily fix this unexpected behaviour. Go into Safari preferences and under Privacy, tick 'Prevent search engine from providing suggestions' then untick - or just leave ticked. I'm sure this is a bug in Safari 6.0.2.

l008com

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
I have this problem all the time and it is super annoying.

The other problem I have is that there is no delay at all on auto complete. So if i type "mac" and hit return right away, it's going to auto completely to some random website i visited weeks ago, like macsautorepairandcleaning.com when I just wanted to do a google search for "mac". Combined with the abortion that is safari's new web developer tools, I'm really NOT loving Safari 6 AT ALL.

BrianGC

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Happens to me on both personnal and pro computers, it's so annoying!

Last time I was going to show website statistics to my boss, started typing (quickly) analytics to get to my Google Analytics account, Safari hit enter by himself at anal[…]. Quite a moment when the Google Search page loaded…

It can't be a feature, even if you type fairly quickly it will cut you off.

edit: 10.8.2, Safari 6.0.1

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
Ok, i thought it was me pressing accidentally touchpad or enter while fast typing, but now i see it's a bug/feature!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.