Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
physics people, physics

Attachments

• IMG_1536b.jpg
    IMG_1536b.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,135

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
That's some serious delamination! Much as this -gate thing is out-of-control, I like "Uri-gate", after Uri Geller.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
when should i be concerned about it, after it bends in half from bending over working in the yard?

Hang on I'm confused, you mentioned that you believe your iPhone 4 is stronger leading me to believe you don't have an iPhone 5?

If that is the case then you shouldn't let it concern you. After all if you feel the 5 is a big investment and you feel you may be bending over a lot then my advice would be to stick with your iPhone 4 which has obviously endured a lot of bending over without any ill effect.

Anyway why are we even debating this, there is no way the phone in question magically started to bend itself in half. The crack near the volume button is clearly the stress point where force has been applied.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It seems that there is a stress point on the three cases we've all seen here by the volume button. What I do believe is there could be a weak point that allows for the bending. That much seems plausible. Whether or not this guy was just holding the phone and it popped apart is another story. It seems as though if the bend was detected that maybe he could have pulled it apart more. I don't give two ***** about join dates, not everyone has been living in these forums for years on end.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
when should i be concerned about it, after it bends in half from bending over working in the yard? it's a large investment for me and this just seems to be another in an ever growing list of problems with this phone. you seem to be one of the big apple supporters here and i can appreciate that but you cant be blind to all these problems. (or maybe you can)

Give it up. Some people are either paid shills, or they have an unhealthy emotional attachment to their Apple products... To the point that its against their own self interests (much like voting republican). I suggest the ignore list for those who can't be reasoned with.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Give it up. Some people are either paid shills, or they have an unhealthy emotional attachment to their Apple products... To the point that its against their own self interests (much like voting republican). I suggest the ignore list for those who can't be reasoned with.

*Yawn* still at I see Mr Negative :rolleyes:

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Ya, it just bent. Like magic...:rolleyes:

And no, I'm not a paid shill or blind follower. But I can smell B.S. a mile away, even on a forum!

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
physics people, physics

Totally agree, you can see the dent where the phone has been bent over something much harder, like a piece of steel round bar.

No way was this a spontaneous "it just happened" incident.

8073848875_6759b61ac7_m.jpg

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
so what happened? Did he get it replaced or what?

My guess is he doesn't know yet, considering he posted this "spontaneous" separation at 3:33 am.
And there's no way in hell this thing "just happened". Someone sat on that, or tried to bend it on purpose. When was the last time something in your hand just bent while you were holding it?

Aug 5, 2012
So glad ive waited to pull the trigger on the 5

Even if you get a scuff free unit, it will just bend out of shape!

Sort it out Apple!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I'll take my guess too. It looks like someone sat on it with the phone in their back pocket (not smart). This bent and cracked the frame at the weakest point (the cutout for the volume button). :(

The Gorilla glass and plastic frame will just bend and then pop loose of the bent aluminum at a certain point. At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :D

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Yeah BS you sat on it or bent it intentionally. No way could you be holding and I just bent by itself, NOTHING in the phone could cause the aluminum to bend like that.

Even if the battery expanded it would have just pushed the screen up never would the aliminum bend.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I'll take my guess too. It looks like someone sat on it with the phone in their back pocket (not smart). This bent and cracked the frame at the weakest point (the cutout for the volume button). :(

The Gorilla glass and plastic frame will just bend and then pop loose of the bent aluminum at a certain point. At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :D

Agreed.. If the screen had just popped out then if say spontaneous... But the way the frame is bent, it doesn't make sense:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Well i just try to bend my 4s and sat on it in different chairs and my bed but still good.

Is the iphone 5 alu. Thick ? If not stay away from skinny jeans lol and dont hold it too tight

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
If it was not dropped, not in a pocket, but was indeed in the OP's hand at the time, what the ****** did he do, catch his hand in the local bank vault door as it closed?

I want to see a Pic of the OP's crushed and mangled hand please :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.