Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fontane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Title says it all -- I hate having the notification center icon in the top right corner. Is there a way to completely remove the icon? I don't use notification center and certainly don't want the icon there. Thanks!

Mactabulous

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2011
Remove icon without terminating NC?

Is there any way to remove the icon itself, but keep Notification Center running? I don't need the icon, as I use a keyboard shortcut and hot corner to access it.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Is there any way to remove the icon itself, but keep Notification Center running? I don't need the icon, as I use a keyboard shortcut and hot corner to access it.

Uh... WTF. If you want to actually use NC... then who cares if a tiny icon is in the top right?

OCD on redundancy much?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Read the post just before yours. It helps if you actually read the thread, as a few posts referred to your solution.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
NCBackgrounder (check macupdate) is a great freebie that lets you customize the backgrounds, or even...remove the icon from the menubar.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Press the Command key and drag it off.

Wrong.

Go to System Preferences and see if you can disable it there?

Wrong.

Wrong.

Read the post just before yours. It helps if you actually read the thread, as a few posts referred to your solution.

Maybe take your own advice before you spout off with rude posts. OP and user Mactabulous both were interested in removing the Notifications icon from the menu bar. You replied with two wrong answers and a third telling how to completely disable Notifications, not just hide the icon as was requested. Read the thread yourself.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Maybe take your own advice before you spout off with rude posts. OP and user Mactabulous both were interested in removing the Notifications icon from the menu bar. You replied with two wrong answers and a third telling how to completely disable Notifications, not just hide the icon as was requested. Read the thread yourself.
Bartender will hide the icon without disabling notifications, which is exactly what Mactabulous asked for and exactly what was recommended in the post just before, as well as in posts by nedermac and 3bs.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Bartender will hide the icon without disabling notifications, which is exactly what Mactabulous asked for and exactly what was recommended in the post just before, as well as in posts by nedermac and 3bs.

I get that. I just thought it was humorous you rudely lecturing someone to read the thread before posting when you posted three wrong answers in the thread, including one which clearly shows you did not read the thread yourself.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I get that. I just thought it was humorous you rudely lecturing someone to read the thread before posting when you posted three wrong answers in the thread, including one which clearly shows you did not read the thread yourself.
Offering suggestions that don't solve the problem doesn't indicate that I haven't read the thread, which I have, several times. As the notification center was new back in July when those posts were made, many of us were unsure how various aspects worked. ML had only been released 2 days prior.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Offering suggestions that don't solve the problem doesn't indicate that I haven't read the thread, which I have, several times. As the notification center was new back in July when those posts were made, many of us were unsure how various aspects worked. ML had only been released 2 days prior.

Okay. You are right. This makes it okay to be rude.

somnolentsurfer

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
Uh... WTF. If you want to actually use NC... then who cares if a tiny icon is in the top right?

OCD on redundancy much?

I came here looking to move the Notification Centre icon 'cause years of habit and UI convention have taught me to quickly flick the mouse pointer to the the very top right when I want to do a Spotlight search.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I came here looking to move the Notification Centre icon 'cause years of habit and UI convention have taught me to quickly flick the mouse pointer to the the very top right when I want to do a Spotlight search.
Exactly my reason as well why I removed it. The only notifications I actually received were birthdays.

xsergeantd

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
in Terminal:
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui KeepAlive -bool false

(it will ask for your password in order to enter this command)

then to end NC you cantype

killall NotificationCenter

to turn back on, change false to true. When you logout and back in, it's gone

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012

OCD on redundancy much?

Seriously! Some of the people here drive me nuts with their desire to nit pick and such little things that aren't even worth the trouble to deal with

snail22

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
I got rid of the NC menu, but now I installed Yosemite and it's back. Doesn't look like the terminal commands are getting rid of it this time. Anyone able to get rid of it under Yosemite?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.