Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Can we see some pis of the black case on the phone please, or video review ;)

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Very interested in this case. Does anybody happen to have both the tones case and the lightning dock? I'd like to know if phone sits far enough down on the lightning dock with this case on.

I put a standard bumper on my work 4s last night only to find it doesn't sit far enough down to charge on a radio dock I have. Given I already ordered the lightning dock, I don't want to waste the $25 on this case if the phone won't charge on this dock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 132

Veriac

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
theres a definite knack to doing it but I wouldn't say its hard. And the good thing is that because the rim is the softer rubberised plastic this shouldn't scratch or scuff the phone when the case is taken off

Is the inside of the case totally soft or did they use hard plastic also?
I don't like cases with hard materials in the inside, scrachtes...

Joe91

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
Bought this today knowing of the delay after reading this thread, a couple hours after placing the order I received this email, unprompted.

Dear Customer,

Referring to your order, your purchasing item [Tones For the iPhone 5 - Black] runs out of stock, and will be re-stock until next week afterward. Thus, we are temporarily holding your order and will reprocess your order again until that date when the product model is available in stock.

Regards,

SwitchEasy

Not the best grammar but I get the message :)

Jason28

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Ordered mine on Sunday Oct 7, got an electronic shipping notification on the 8th, then on the 9th it says the item was accepted.

I am gussing this means my product is on its way.

I ordered the black case and will post pictures once i receive it!

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Ordered mine on Sunday Oct 7, got an electronic shipping notification on the 8th, then on the 9th it says the item was accepted.

I am gussing this means my product is on its way.

I ordered the black case and will post pictures once i receive it!

I'm boing to guess you'll be waiting a while. My order was accepted almost two weeks ago and I have nothing. It's part of their dumb way of selling and shipping products.

Jason28

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
I'm boing to guess you'll be waiting a while. My order was accepted almost two weeks ago and I have nothing. It's part of their dumb way of selling and shipping products.

If that is true I will be very dissapointed. I found the case on Macmall.com for $18. Although it does say "Not In Stock"

Does anyone know if this site is reliable? It says Authorized Apple Reseller.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
interesting. iLounge just updated their "first look" to a review.
well, perhaps that is what is causing the shipping delay, though that might just be optimistic thinking at this point.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
The Tones is a good case (I would even say above average) but as reported earlier by Wirecutter I do not agree that it is the best.

My two cents -

Pro's:

1. Color selection
2. Slim and light
3. Good price point

Con's:

1. Bottom strip closest to the lightning port is a bit flimsy and can easily pull down. Don't misunderstand - its not saggy just not very rigid.
2. Case is VERY difficult to remove - top and bottom of case are flexible but the center portion is made of hard plastic so it makes the case a real chore to take off.
3. Headphone jack is small - if you have a larger headphone jack connector it will not work with this case.
4. Screen protector included exhibits rainbow effect

Veriac

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Can someone please confirm, is the inside of the SwitchEasy TONES entirely from soft materials or are their hard materials used? I know that the outside has hard and soft materials.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Viktoria(Switcheasy) said:
Oct 10 11:15 am (PDT)

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately there was a slight delay in the shipping of TONES Black as we were waiting for a new shipment to arrive from our factory. The cases arrived half an hour ago via FEDEX so we start shipping the cases out immediately.

We sincerely apologize if the tracking is confusing. We've processed the order, printed the shipping label ( that's when the tracking generates and the email is sent out automatically) and prepared your envelope before we run low on the inventory.

We appreciate your patience and support in this very busy time.

Sincerely,

Viktoria
SwitchEasy US Team

so hopefully they will start actually shipping out the black orders today.

salsbury

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Long Beach, Ca
I emailed them earlier today for I could cancel my order and without any notification or e-mail the tones case showed up today on my doorstep. So Im guessing they received their shipment of cases and starting to ship them out to everyone who purchased.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Can someone please confirm, is the inside of the SwitchEasy TONES entirely from soft materials or are their hard materials used? I know that the outside has hard and soft materials.

Inside is hard plastic but smooth

dannys95

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Well my black case was delivered but to the wrong address and wrong city. WTF!

My right address is listed on the order too :/

I emailed them so they better fix this problem

I believe the same happened to me too. It said it would be delivered by the 5th, and have yet to receive it. Waiting on word from Switcheasy.

Veriac

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Inside is hard plastic but smooth

So, is it possible to scratch your phone when putting the case on or take the case off? Because I saw on youtube reviews it's not that easy to take it off...

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
The Tones is a good case (I would even say above average) but as reported earlier by Wirecutter I do not agree that it is the best.

My two cents -

Pro's:

1. Color selection
2. Slim and light
3. Good price point

Con's:

1. Bottom strip closest to the lightning port is a bit flimsy and can easily pull down. Don't misunderstand - its not saggy just not very rigid.
2. Case is VERY difficult to remove - top and bottom of case are flexible but the center portion is made of hard plastic so it makes the case a real chore to take off.
3. Headphone jack is small - if you have a larger headphone jack connector it will not work with this case.
4. Screen protector included exhibits rainbow effect

Hey psychonaut/metagamers! Welcome back!

Just want to say I really dig your reviews but I have to respectfully disagree with your second con. I don't find it difficult to remove at all. Now that doesn't mean it can come off as easy as cake as say, the PixelSkin HD, but it just takes a little more time. I would rather a case fit very snug and feel as if it's one with the phone than have a case that's easy to remove but feel loose and saggy at the edges.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I believe the same happened to me too. It said it would be delivered by the 5th, and have yet to receive it. Waiting on word from Switcheasy.

You should get it soon as mine came the next day. Maybe just a hiccup with the tracking info

Just want to say I really dig your reviews but I have to respectfully disagree with your second con. I don't find it difficult to remove at all. Now that doesn't mean it can come off as easy as cake as say, the PixelSkin HD, but it just takes a little more time. I would rather a case fit very snug and feel as if it's one with the phone than have a case that's easy to remove but feel loose and saggy at the edges.

I agree with you. Not difficult at all.

Here is my short review for anyone interested

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1465756/

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
So, is it possible to scratch your phone when putting the case on or take the case off? Because I saw on youtube reviews it's not that easy to take it off...

Thanks in advance for your input!

I have the white iPhone and it did not scratch mine but I was VERY careful. I would imagine that the Slate iPhone could be easier to scratch if you did not take your time as the plastic is not really rough but to me it seems somewhat sharp on the lip of the case.

----------

Thanks! :)

May I ask what your process is for removal? The way I tried to remove it was by pulling the top of the case off (where it is more flexible) and then attempting to pull the phone out. Problem was, the hard portion of the case kept the phone in and when it finally did come out I could hear the edges of the case rubbing against the phone.

I dont doubt there is a science to removing it, I may not have just figured it out yet. :)

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
May I ask what your process is for removal? The way I tried to remove it was by pulling the top of the case off (where it is more flexible) and then attempting to pull the phone out. Problem was, the hard portion of the case kept the phone in and when it finally did come out I could hear the edges of the case rubbing against the phone.

I dont doubt there is a science to removing it, I may not have just figured it out yet. :)

I remove the case from the side with the nano sim. Pull up with your fingers and thumbs on the back of the case. Works every time so give it a try

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.