Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It's official now, folks. Bend-gate:

http://www.tekcore.co.uk/2012/10/10/iphone-5-bend-gate

WouterDS

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2011
Belgium
No way?
Can anyone give an understandable explanation for this?

I don't get it how that could happen without sitting on it or something like that.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
So what kind of back is the iPhone supposed to have? If it was plastic you would say it's cheap, it was glass you said it was easily breakable, its aluminum you say it's bendable. What do you want, diamonds?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yes this is my first thread/post but long time reader of macrumors. Never had burning issue that prompted me to post - but when this happened I knew I had to post. Happened last nite around 11 30 pm - I'm in Vancouver BC hence the time stamp. My ace in the hole is that I bought apple care at time of purchase - I planned not to use a case. My prev phone was a 4. I'm at work and will post better macro shots after I get home and before I take it in. The other pics that Novemberwhisky pointed to show remarkablly similar marks at - button. There is no damage to screen edge (which I will show better later) which would make a hit unlikely - note the marks are on either side of button and do not include button. ttyl

Please also provide pics of the back of the casing, including close ups of the bend point. Looks like this would appear to be just at the bottom of the Apple logo.

----------

So what kind of back is the iPhone supposed to have? If it was plastic you would say it's cheap, it was glass you said it was easily breakable, its aluminum you say it's bendable. What do you want, diamonds?

Although nearly impossible to scratch, diamonds are brittle. They would shatter easier than glass.

chrizg

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
My guess is it was in front pants pocket and the OP works in IT or something and leaned over someones desk at work, and the phone came in contact with the edge of the desk and bent with the pressure from his body.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009

well, there are plenty of materials that don''t shatter like glass or bend like aluminum.. duhh

I love the iphone 5 but it feels fragile and I don't know how to carry it properly.. I f'n hate cases

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Skinny jeans + back pocket + sitting down = this perhaps?

IMHO, aluminum frame would not bend without pressure.

Grabbing popcorn and hitting subscribe to this one.

The best remedy is NO MORE SKINNY JEANS!!!!!! They only look good on girls :D

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
No way?
Can anyone give an understandable explanation for this?

I don't get it how that could happen without sitting on it or something like that.

You ever get wood wet and see it curl or expand after a couple of days? My guess is that something similar is happening to an internal component, maybe a metallic one. I am not saying water or moisture is causing it, but that there is some underlying chemical or physical mechanism wherein something was not properly cured or set and it is now warping.

At least that fits with the OP's description of it happening in his hands. I don't know how soft or bendable the metal is on the iphone and i don't want to test it on mine.

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
matrix%20spoon.jpg

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1459792/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1359331/

I think there is definitely something going on. Above are 2 other threads were posters have bent iPhones. One of them was dropped from just 4 feet while in an Otterbox supposedly, but looks like a truck ran it over. Whatever may be the cause, abuse or not, the iPhone 5 appears to have a propensity to bend.

A drop? Exactly what sort of drop would cause a bend like that? There have been millions of people who have dropped their iPhone 4/4S without sustaining such damage.

One of these is of the iPhone 4.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
well, there are plenty of materials that don''t shatter like glass or bend like aluminum.. duhh

I love the iphone 5 but it feels fragile and I don't know how to carry it properly.. I f'n hate cases

name all the materials it can be made out of that doesn't interfere with reception, doesn't shatter, doesn't bend, doesn't scratch, doesn't scuff.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
One of these is of the iPhone 4.

You're right. And that thing was built like a tank. A tank with glass windows, that is.

Alright then, what the F's up with people bending their iPhones lately? This's crazy.

people they are just acidentle prototypes sent to you.. bendable displays.. zomg

For the love of God, please tell me you really don't spell accidental that way usually.

Last edited:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Tbh, i carry my naked iPhone 4s exclusively in my back pocket and sit on it all the time.

i frankly wondered if the iPh 5 would be prone to structural failure of the perimeter frame adjacent to the volume buttons due to being sat on. Bending stiffness of the iPh 5 has to be way down due to changing the perimeter and inner chassis from steel to alu and also substituting alu for glass in the rear panel.

For these reasons, as well as sensitivity to scratching, I decided not to buy an iPhone 5 despite the fact it's beautiful and fast (I've been a first day purchaser of my last 2 iOS products.)

I don't buy into the theory that residual or thermal stresses are causing the chassis to spontaneously distort; if this is the case, Or if Apple didn't or mis specified, or their sub suppliers have omitted or botched, an annealing operation, Apple better find the incompetent materials, process, and mechanical engineers on this project and fire the lot of them.

Cue steel-reinforced iphone5 bumper offer from Apple in 1,2,3...As the short term solution to butt-bend-gate... Looks like Bob Mansfield is really going to have to earn his 2M$/mo now!

Last edited:

sparky1680

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
More photos 1

Here are 4 more photos, 4 more to come

Attachments

• M1370017.jpg
    M1370017.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 226
  • M1370018.jpg
    M1370018.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 219
  • M1370021.jpg
    M1370021.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 182
  • M1370023.jpg
    M1370023.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 199

sparky1680

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
more photos 2

the last 4 photos
note the protrusion on the back as if something pushed it outward from inside.
Won't make it to apple store today - will go tomorrow.

Attachments

• M1370030.jpg
    M1370030.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 165
  • M1370031.jpg
    M1370031.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 196
  • M1370032.jpg
    M1370032.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 158
  • M1370033.jpg
    M1370033.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 157

rogo43

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
New York
Apple store and whoever your cell provider is, is gonna call BS on you bud. Sorry. You might as well destroy the phone and claim it on insurance as lost or stolen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.