Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
I had an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone 4 since release date. I removed the built-in screen protector and installed a plastic/basic SGP screen protector.

When I removed the Defender from the 4 a few months prior to purchasing the iPhone 5, I noticed that the case had caused indentations/scratches on the glass screen of the 4, in a couple different areas near the top. I had a plastic screen protector on, so that absorbed most of the pressure, but it did leave noticeable scratches. That turned me off to the Defender, but I still really liked the case. I switched over the Incipio Delta along with SGP Glast. The combo was really great together.

Once I got the 5, I applied a SGP Glast. screen protector, and got the Incipio Dualpro, basically the same thing as the older Delta. It was a nice combo, but I still wanted to try the Defender, especially since I had applied the Glas.t screen protector, figuring it would protect the iPhone 5's screen. There's nothing like the feel of the glas.t screen protector - just like the iPhone 5's screen.

It was a really tight fit, but all snaps connected and it seems like a good fit. Some photos are posted below. You can notice a small gap at the bottom of the case, likely because I have the SGP Glas.t jellybean sticker over the home button. I may remove that to see if it helps to close the case more. Also note that I seem to have received an "early" model of the Defender, where the iPhone 5 had a little room at the top and bottom, as mentioned in a few other threads, and that Otterbox was fixing with a newer batch of cases. It was "made in China", in case that matters - as others have received Mexico cases.

iPhone 5 in white with Otterbox Defender in Glacier color; built-in screen protector removed, Spigen SGP Glas.t installed:

DSCF2988.JPG

DSCF2989.JPG

DSCF2990.JPG

DSCF2991.JPG

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
I removed the jellybean button provided with the glas.t, but that resulted in the home button being difficult to push with my thumb (had to use my nail to push it deep enough).

So, I took one of the spare jellybeans from the glas.t, and cut off just the tip, and applied over the home button. Cutting the tip was to hopefully remove any additional contact being made with the case. It didn't seem to help to close the gap at the bottom of the case, but it does make the home button much easier to press.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
thats looks pretty good there! Do you have any skin on the back and the sides of the iphone?

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
thats looks pretty good there! Do you have any skin on the back and the sides of the iphone?

Thanks.. no skin on the rear or sides. The inside rear of the Defender has a soft mesh, so the phone isn't touching right up against the hard plastic. For the sides though, I'll hope for the best.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Thanks.. no skin on the rear or sides. The inside rear of the Defender has a soft mesh, so the phone isn't touching right up against the hard plastic. For the sides though, I'll hope for the best.

I had the defender on my iphone 4 and still got scratches from dirt. I think you should apply skin on the back and sides for extra protection.

Xanderprime

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Looks nice! I have the black defender with the Glas.t and it fit exactly as you described. It's a great combo.

Xanderprime

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
I had the defender on my iphone 4 and still got scratches from dirt. I think you should apply skin on the back and sides for extra protection.

I had the defender for the iphone 4 and that design was different from the iphone 5 version. Actually to me that defender was terrible. The rubber was so soft so dust kept sticking to it and the rubber kept peeling apart from the hard case. I can see how more dust would get into the case and cause scratches. I'm not even sure it had the same felt on the back like the iP5 version (ill have to check later, since i still have it).

The defender on the iP5, on the other hand, is quite sealed up and the rubber is not as pliable or as sticky as the i4 version. The phone does not move at all in the case, so I don't see how the scratches will form if dust does get in there. Plus, if we put a skin on it, the case might not fully close around the phone with the Glas.t, since the screen shield is thicker than most.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
wonder if this one would look good with the black iphone 5.

also, you stated that your old phone had scratches on the screen even after using a Defender. did you have an additional screen protector on it on top of the built-in one, or just the protector that comes built into the case?

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
wonder if this one would look good with the black iphone 5.

also, you stated that your old phone had scratches on the screen even after using a Defender. did you have an additional screen protector on it on top of the built-in one, or just the protector that comes built into the case?

When the 4 screen was scratched/pitted by the defender, I just had a regular/plastic screen protector. I had already removed the built-in defender screen protector. The rear of my case was never scratched by the felt.

The defender for iphone 5 no longer uses a felt. Instead, it's a very soft and very thin piece of spongey rubber - is the best I can describe it.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
When the 4 screen was scratched/pitted by the defender, I just had a regular/plastic screen protector. I had already removed the built-in defender screen protector. The rear of my case was never scratched by the felt.

The defender for iphone 5 no longer uses a felt. Instead, it's a very soft and very thin piece of spongey rubber - is the best I can describe it.

thanks for the follow up. was the pitting just around the edge? i would assume so since the case couldn't have caused problems over most of the screen if the built in protector was removed.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
thanks for the follow up. was the pitting just around the edge? i would assume so since the case couldn't have caused problems over most of the screen if the built in protector was removed.

Yes, it just scratched/pitted around the top of the case, around the border of the hard plastic of the defender. It wasn't very noticeable, but definitely was there. Maybe it was the result of a drop and extra pressure in that area - who knows - but others report similar.

iALLOUT4eva

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
PlayDay Land
To the OP.....I have an otterbox defender too but
Ive been thinking about removing the screen protector and goin with something similar to what u have however my question is if I were to drop it without the original screen protector on would the screen have a better chance of cracking?

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
To the OP.....I have an otterbox defender too but
Ive been thinking about removing the screen protector and goin with something similar to what u have however my question is if I were to drop it without the original screen protector on would the screen have a better chance of cracking?

The built-in screen protector provided very little protection to begin with. I don't think removing it will increase any chances of damage from an identical fall with it on.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
I had the defender on my iphone 5 and removed the built in screen and got the same indentations on my screen, luckily I had a screen protector as well. Whether its an iphone 4 or 5, if you remove the built in protector, you are going to ruin you screen...

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I had the defender on my iphone 5 and removed the built in screen and got the same indentations on my screen, luckily I had a screen protector as well. Whether its an iphone 4 or 5, if you remove the built in protector, you are going to ruin you screen...

from what i've seen here the damage has nothing to do with the built-in screen protector but instead the plastic around it pressing onto the phone too hard.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010

False. This is based on absolutely nothing, and you clearly provided nothing to back it up.

Ignore this person, despite them using bold to get across their meaningless point.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
So is it safe to use the Defender with the glas.t and pop out the built in screen protector?

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Looks great. I used the same glacier defender + white iPhone combo with my 4S for a while.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
False. This is based on absolutely nothing, and you clearly provided nothing to back it up.

Ignore this person, despite them using bold to get across their meaningless point.

Well lets see, seeing as I bought the defender the day after the iphone 5 launch, I would say that I at least know what I am talking about. Read my reviews on the other threads.

I loved the otterbox, the bulky feel/protection, etc. But I as you removed the built-in screen and 4 days later removed it to clean up the phone and to my surprise the screen had the same 4 line (_____) indentations on the corners. There have been a few others to report this as well.

The only thing you have going for you is that your using the thicker SPG glas.t protector however I still believe the case will leave the markings and it will CERTAINLY leave the markings if you have a standard screen protector.

I am not here to make this up or lie to the members of this site, just trying to help avoid them messing up their screen. Do you think I enjoyed wasting money on another screen protector?

----------

from what i've seen here the damage has nothing to do with the built-in screen protector but instead the plastic around it pressing onto the phone too hard.

Bingo, it is the plastic behind it. Its not about pressing hard on it. I used it for 4 days (normal usage) and still could not prevent it.

There are a few other people who experienced the same issue. Like I stated above the only thing going for the OP is that he is using a thicker protector, however I'd like to see what it looks like after 4-5 days, not after 1 day of usage...

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
You know whats strange is that you replied to my post weeks ago:

This is why I'll not use a defender again. The stupid idea of hard plastic directly on the phone caused indentations and scratches on my iphone 4 screen.

Get an incipio dualpro. Soft layer on the INSIDE making contact with the phone, and hard plastic on the outside.

http://att.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15919743&postcount=32

And then you went on to state this on a thread where multiple people said they experienced the issue:

It's very possible and it happened to me with my iphone 4. It causes scratches/pitting on the glass, but this is mostly absorbed by screen protectors.

I now have a glas.t screen protector with my defender (minus the defender built-in screen protector), so hopefully this glass pitting won't happen. If it does, it'll just be on my glas.t protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.