Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage14.png
ThinkGeek, the creators of the iCade iPad gaming cabinet have released the iCade 8-Bitty Bluetooth enabled controller, announced earlier this year. The controller is roughly the size and layout of a classic NES controller, with an extra pair of A/B buttons on the right side and two shoulder buttons.

The controller is now available from ThinkGeek's website for $29.99.

Article Link: iCade 8-Bitty Nintendo-Like iOS Wireless Controller Now Shipping

Blinny83

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Yawn. Nostalgia is great, but let's see a real, modern controller. The iPad has been begging for one since it was released.

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
The controller is roughly the size and layout of a classic NES controller, with an extra pair of A/B buttons on the right side and two shoulder buttons.

Why not just say that it's the same as the SNES controller.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
Yawn. Nostalgia is great, but let's see a real, modern controller. The iPad has been begging for one since it was released.

I think a controller that kind of plugs in around the iPhone would be amazing personally.

I mean games like GTA III have the potential to be so good on the iPhone, but the touchscreen controls are just absolutely horrid for games like that, at least imo. I mean don't get me wrong I love touchscreen on my phone, but I just wish there were something that you could put on your iphone that would turn it into a psp-type thing for when you want to play on games that would be better suited to physical controls rather than touchscreen.

Why someone hasn't created such a device and just took it to a company like rockstar to sell the idea to them I have no idea, I mean I would create plans and stuff myself if I had the knowledge.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I think a controller that kind of plugs in around the iPhone would be amazing personally.

I mean games like GTA III have the potential to be so good on the iPhone, but the touchscreen controls are just absolutely horrid for games like that, at least imo. I mean don't get me wrong I love touchscreen on my phone, but I just wish there were something that you could put on your iphone that would turn it into a psp-type thing for when you want to play on games that would be better suited to physical controls rather than touchscreen.

Why someone hasn't created such a device and just took it to a company like rockstar to sell the idea to them I have no idea, I mean I would create plans and stuff myself if I had the knowledge.

http://www.icontrolpad.com << eh?? eh??

edit: Pretty neat, eh??

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
too bad the big N wont license them out :-/

Nintendo needs to just stop with the madness. I honestly think many people(older heads) could reconnect with the brand by porting old games like the original Mario to iOS.

Get off your high horse Nintendo.

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nintendo needs to just stop with the madness. I honestly think many people(older heads) could reconnect with the brand by porting old games like the original Mario to iOS.

Why the hell would Nintendo lisence their games to a competing product?

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC

Exactly. We have a super nintendo in the break room at the office and everyone between 26 and 36 are constantly playing it.

----------

Why the hell would Nintendo lisence their games to a competing product?

It means money. They could re-release all the old top 8 and 16 bit titles and rake it in 99 cents at a time. (minus 30% of course)

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Looks good... buuuuuut...

The name. 8-Bitty?

I'm presuming I'm not the only UK'er here that had this pop straight into their minds. (Caution... almost certainly NSFW and possibly not particularly funny to those outside of the UK - or even for some within)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

The reason is that you need developers to adopt it. There is no universal controller protocol, so each individual controller will have a different library of code to implement. Then the problem is that no single controller has enough users to warrant implementing. And so you have a chicken & the egg problem - developers want users before implementing, users want games from developers before buying.

But even if there were 10,000 controllers out there, only a small percentage of those users would want your specific game (Even GTA III.) So spending a few days implementing and testing controller code most developers just ignore the issue.

I personally implement iCade controls into my games when I can as the library is simple and I own an iCade myself.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Exactly. We have a super nintendo in the break room at the office and everyone between 26 and 36 are constantly playing it.

----------

It means money. They could re-release all the old top 8 and 16 bit titles and rake it in 99 cents at a time. (minus 30% of course)

Nintendo has already rereleased their old 8 and 16 bit titles for download. On their systems.

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Nintendo has already rereleased their old 8 and 16 bit titles for download. On their systems.

Which makes them absolutely $0 from iOS purchases. Move it to iOS, rake in 4.99 a game. Or bundle all marios for $9.99. 1 million downloads, thats a cool 7 million.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Which makes them absolutely $0 from iOS purchases. Move it to iOS, rake in 4.99 a game. Or bundle all marios for $9.99. 1 million downloads, thats a cool 7 million.

And hurt their own hardware sales in the process.

Remember that Nintendo makes money not only on game sales, but also hardware (both consoles and their accessories) and royalties from third party publishers producing games for that hardware.

Last edited:

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
This would be serviceable, but it the buttons are not in the diamond shape, as per every other pad ever made in the last five generations.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW

Right. And, while we're at it, Apple should release a version of Mountain Lion that'll run on generic PC hardware. After all, they're currently making absolutely $0 from PC purchases. Move it to PC, rake in 19.99 an install. Ten million downloads, that's a cool 200 million.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.