Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

platypus63

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land
I just got back from big island not too long ago. I headed up to Mauna Kea right at sunset - what a sight!

Keeping up with the Hawaii theme, here's a view from my hotel room from a vacation I took in 2010. Not nearly as good as the Hawaii pictures you guys have posted, more of a casual snapshot.

North Shore, Oahu

Attachments

• DSC_0058 1.jpg
    DSC_0058 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 170

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
You can do it!

Fall Bokeh by DigitAl3x, on Flickr

Wasn't the sharpest (or best composition) I've taken recently, but I like the bug and the bokeh.

Taken w/ Sony a77 + Sony 35mm f/1.8 SAM.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Aside from your ever-brilliant compositions, and master's touch with exposure, your camera is also doing you great service with it's AWB. I find that if I don't set a custom white balance, I probably have to adjust 25% or more of my photo's color - basic color cast corrections. Yours seem invariably spot-on.

Thank you. There's a lot we can do, IMO, before we press the shutter... such as limiting the colour palette, letting the light dictate the kind of photographs we take and working with the limitations of our equipment. So PP is just a tweak here and there... rather than damage limitation! As for exposure... I generally take a shot with my chosen values (aperture and shutter speed), and then bracket two more shots: one over, one under, by changing the shutter speed. The best exposure is usually the middle one, but not always... and I'm glad to have a choice when I'm editing pix back home.

Great shot, very appealing... and I like the black & white treatment...

I do a lot of stock photography, and this is the kind of thing that sells (better than pretty landscapes, anyway). I heard on the radio that we still have hundreds of places where pedestrian pathways cross railways, with no 'safety features' except a warning sign. So I set up a shot in time for the next train...

train1v.jpg

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Missed the focus on his face a little bit, but it still got 70+ likes on his Facebook when i tagged him in it.

8061390823_6c423a5ff1_b.jpg

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Panoramic fall view

View from the dock at our hunt camp near North Bay, ON taken with the new Panorama feature of iOS6

Attachments

• 2012-10-05_1.jpg
    2012-10-05_1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 172

Bound in Light

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
This is Macky Auditorium. It is one of the older buildings on the campus of University of Colorado. It looks really cool at night - tried to capture that here.

Macky Illuminated by boundinlightphotography, on Flickr

canon 7D f/5 ISO 200 18mm (5 bracket exposure - HDR)

BTW anyone else participating in the worldwide photowalk this weekend?

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Moving right along ...

Another from last weekend's outing to that old covered bridge.

8064752086_f6af35cf56_c.jpg

Canon 40D, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, ISO 200, 24mm, f/2.8, 1/40, manual exposure, Aperture 3.4 pp

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
post deleted by moderator

I realize that you like to do a certain type of post-processing on the pictures you post on this blog. Some I've liked and I have given them a postive rating (up arrow click). Others, not so much so I chose not to rate. Your most recent did not appeal to me at all. Dolyem is entitled to his opinion and has not commented on all of your posts. I find your reply a little over the top and offensive, IMO. I think you would have been better served by just disagreeing with his opinion and stating that his opinion does not matter to you and leave it at that. There is no need for rude name calling. This needs to remain a civil blog. Art and beauty, in all forms including photography, is in the eye of the beholder and not everything that we post will be liked by all. That's a fact we all need to accept.

Last edited by a moderator:

/"\/oo\/"\

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
This is Macky Auditorium. It is one of the older buildings on the campus of University of Colorado. It looks really cool at night - tried to capture that here.

Macky Illuminated by boundinlightphotography, on Flickr

canon 7D f/5 ISO 200 18mm (5 bracket exposure - HDR)

BTW anyone else participating in the worldwide photowalk this weekend?

I'd say you did a pretty good job capturing what you were after :cool: I think a different crop or perhaps different framing would give the photo a bit more character, which can be tough to do with that type of subject.

Bound in Light

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
/"\/oo\/"\;16010910 said:
I'd say you did a pretty good job capturing what you were after :cool: I think a different crop or perhaps different framing would give the photo a bit more character, which can be tough to do with that type of subject.

Yah unfortunately there are two tall post with solar panels on either of the frame. I only have an 18mm lens and with the 1.6x crop factor my camera it doesn't get as wide as I need sometimes. So it was either get a better framing of the building but have the ugly solar panels or move up and get as much of the building as i could. It was mostly just for experimenting with nights shooting so I chose to move up.

Anyways here is a new one for today from the beautiful little Monhegan Island of the coast of Maine.

Bell, Boat, Lighthouse by boundinlightphotography, on Flickr

canon 7d 18mm f/9 ISO 400 (three brackets combined for HDR)

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
I just got back from big island not too long ago. I headed up to Mauna Kea right at sunset - what a sight!

I keep thinking about how to go back :D

Here is one looking straight up into the sky on a hill near the visitors center on Mauna Kea.

big_island-1981.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.