Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I can swear I used to be able to swipe a song, aritist or album and delete it, with the warning I could redownload from iTunes Match later if I wanted. However now I cannot. I cannot find anyway to remove music from my iPhone directly.

Am I missing something obvious?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Did you mean the iOS Music.app?

If so, yes. You can no longer swipe to delete music from iTunes match.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Yep, from the Music app. So serious, how does Apple propose we remove music we do not want on our devices through iTunes? If so, that is just ignorant IMHO and counter to the whole computer less device management concept.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Yep, from the Music app. So serious, how does Apple propose we remove music we do not want on our devices through iTunes? If so, that is just ignorant IMHO and counter to the whole computer less device management concept.

I agree, its very annoying and hopefully something they will revert back to in 6.1

The options you have are to keep turning off iTunes match or delete the whole lot via "usage/Music".

Not practical at all but yeah.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
I have found that if I create a new playlist on my iPhone, I can add individual songs using iTunes Match, scroll to the bottom of the playlist, and download them by tapping on the iCloud button. If I turn Match off, the songs remain on the iPhone. I can also delete those songs individually, or delete the entire playlist.

I agree it's not as elegant as the process on iOS 5, but I'm getting used to it.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
But these are songs already on my device. Not sure who farted the notion that we don't want to delete songs from devices at Apple.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
But these are songs already on my device. Not sure who farted the notion that we don't want to delete songs from devices at Apple.
It was the same for me. I deleted all the music on the device as MonkeySee said in his post, then added playlists with music I wanted. At least it freed up some space on my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.