Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
I was posting this elsewhere but thought I'd try here.....

My 1st gen Mac Pro will only start from one particular drive, (Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD), that is about 30% full in Bay one. If in the wrong bay I just get the spinning gear indefinitely, if in the right bay then after pressing the power button;
@ 8 secs white screen.
@ 28 secs Apple logo.
@ 34 secs spinning gear.
@89 secs can hear the other drives spin down.
@99 secs I get the login screen.I have two 10.8 clones and two 10.7 clones but they will only work when on the SSD in bay one. So far for the most recent restart I've;

Removed everything apart from the minimum of components --

Reinstalled original RAM, (in total I can choose between two pairs of 512MB, and a pair 2GB - matched and bought in pairs). I have run testdisk 6.13 as additional RAM test.

Tried an alternate graphcs card. I have an Apple branded 5770 and and Apple branded 7300GT.

Swapped hard drive bays.

Removed both optical drives.

Unplugged speaker and headphones.

Unplugged all USB and firewire devices. (Keyboard/trackpad/display are all Apple ones).

Unplugged ethernet.

Running the command, nvram -p in terminal outputs nvram: nvram is not supported on this system.

DVDPlayer.app quits silently when any .img file is mounted with terminal code: Error getting a reference to /options.

The Start up Disk Pref Pane, will not allow me to make changes. The message I get is 'The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk'.

I can boot from the original optical disc that came with it and use disk utility but cannot install Tiger from it. It never gets as far as choosing the destination.

The original AHT that came will not run, pressing D during start will eventually boot the Mac from the normal system.

Any takers out there?

Tks.

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Update.

Am now on 10.8.2, (after having made a new USB installer).
Still have the NVRAM problem though. Can someone with a MacPro and ML help me out with something please for comparative purposes?
Here is mine, but can you post the contents of your /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext/Contents/Info.plist;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key>
<string>12C32</string>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>AppleSMBIOS</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>System Management BIOS Driver</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.9</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.9</string>
<key>DTCompiler</key>
<string></string>
<key>DTPlatformBuild</key>
<string>4F250</string>
<key>DTPlatformVersion</key>
<string>GM</string>
<key>DTSDKBuild</key>
<string>12C32</string>
<key>DTSDKName</key>
<string></string>
<key>DTXcode</key>
<string>0440</string>
<key>DTXcodeBuild</key>
<string>4F250</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
<key>Platform BIOS Match</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
<key>IONameMatch</key>
<string>bios</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPlatformDevice</string>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>NSHumanReadableCopyright</key>
<string>Copyright © 2005-2011 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.</string>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
<string>9.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
<string>9.0</string>
<key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>
<string>9.0</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I was posting this elsewhere but thought I'd try here.....

My 1st gen Mac Pro will only start from one particular drive, (Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD), that is about 30% full in Bay one. If in the wrong bay I just get the spinning gear indefinitely, if in the right bay then after pressing the power button;
@ 8 secs white screen.
@ 28 secs Apple logo.
@ 34 secs spinning gear.
@89 secs can hear the other drives spin down.
@99 secs I get the login screen.I have two 10.8 clones and two 10.7 clones but they will only work when on the SSD in bay one. So far for the most recent restart I've;

Removed everything apart from the minimum of components --

Reinstalled original RAM, (in total I can choose between two pairs of 512MB, and a pair 2GB - matched and bought in pairs). I have run testdisk 6.13 as additional RAM test.

Tried an alternate graphcs card. I have an Apple branded 5770 and and Apple branded 7300GT.

Swapped hard drive bays.

Removed both optical drives.

Unplugged speaker and headphones.

Unplugged all USB and firewire devices. (Keyboard/trackpad/display are all Apple ones).

Unplugged ethernet.

Running the command, nvram -p in terminal outputs nvram: nvram is not supported on this system.

DVDPlayer.app quits silently when any .img file is mounted with terminal code: Error getting a reference to /options.

The Start up Disk Pref Pane, will not allow me to make changes. The message I get is 'The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk'.

I can boot from the original optical disc that came with it and use disk utility but cannot install Tiger from it. It never gets as far as choosing the destination.

The original AHT that came will not run, pressing D during start will eventually boot the Mac from the normal system.

Any takers out there?

Tks.

Sounds more like a problem with your 10.8 installation. (thats, if you only have problem on 10.8) otherwise, try wiping the drive completely and reinstall everything from scratch. If that still doesn't work, see if any of the diagnostic lights (on the RAM bay, processor are illuminated in RED).

EDIT: have you tried to do a SMC reset and or a PRAM reset?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Sounds more like a problem with your 10.8 installation. (thats, if you only have problem on 10.8) otherwise, try wiping the drive completely and reinstall everything from scratch. If that still doesn't work, see if any of the diagnostic lights (on the RAM bay, processor are illuminated in RED).

EDIT: have you tried to do a SMC reset and or a PRAM reset?

Just done that. My RAM seems cool, I get the right indications back from it anyway, (a quick flash at boot). I'm installing to a brand new SSD formatted using DU to GUID etc etc.....

I'll try 10.7 again in a mo......

EDIT: Tried both the SMC and NVRAM, including removing the battery for long enough for the Mac to forget the time. No dice.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Just done that. My RAM seems cool, I get the right indications back from it anyway, (a quick flash at boot). I'm installing to a brand new SSD formatted using DU to GUID etc etc.....

I'll try 10.7 again in a mo......

EDIT: Tried both the SMC and NVRAM, including removing the battery for long enough for the Mac to forget the time. No dice.

Put your SSD into bay #2 (i know it won't boot, do it purposely) then verbose boot the Mac (hold down CMD+V while powering it on release when you see a black screen with words, make sure no DVDs are in the DVD drive and no other HDDs in other bays)

Then, wait until it hangs, take a camera snapshot it and upload it here.

EDIT!
Quoted from your thread @ Apple Support.

My startup log gives me the following;
BOOT_TIME 1349245410 0
Running kernel space in FIPS MODE
corecrypto.kext FIPS integrity POST test passed!
corecrypto.kext FIPS AES CBC POST test passed!
corecrypto.kext FIPS TDES CBC POST test passed!
corecrypto.kext FIPS SHA POST test passed!
corecrypto.kext FIPS HMAC POST test passed!
corecrypto.kext FIPS ECDSA POST test passed!
corecrypto.kext FIPS DRBG POST test passed!
corecrypto.kext FIPS POST passed!

Above red lines indicated your system is running full secure mode aka FIPS mode. Disable it, this is definitely the root cause of the problem as FIPS WILL disable the ability to swap drive bays and not boot from other partitions.

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=1 LocalApicId=1 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=2 LocalApicId=6 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=3 LocalApicId=7 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=4 LocalApicId=0 Disabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=5 LocalApicId=0 Disabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=6 LocalApicId=0 Disabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=7 LocalApicId=0 Disabled
calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet
Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)
calling mpo_policy_init for Sandbox
Security policy loaded: Seatbelt sandbox policy (Sandbox)
calling mpo_policy_init for Quarantine
Security policy loaded: Quarantine policy (Quarantine)
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

MAC Framework successfully initialized
using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster IO buffer headers
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5]
PFM64 (36 cpu) 0xf80000000, 0x80000000
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Enabling legacy HPET check
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: (built 00:59:42 Aug 25 2012) initialization complete
[ PCI configuration begin ]
PCI configuration changed (bridge=4 device=1 cardbus=0)
[ PCI configuration end, bridges 17 devices 26 ]
FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8025 built-in now active, GUID 0016cbfffe75220e; max speed s800.
ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure. <This is because you enabled FIPS, nothing to worry about
mbinit: done [64 MB total pool size, (42/21) split]
Pthread support ABORTS when sync kernel primitives misused
rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: THE UUID OF MY SSD GOES HERE
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib kmod start
com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeDataless kmod start
com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded
com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeDataless load succeeded
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready
BTCOEXIST off
wl0: Broadcom BCM4328 802.11 Wireless Controller
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleAHCI/PRT0 @0/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDri ver/Corsair Force 3 SSD Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/BOOT VOLUME@2
BSD root: disk0s2, major 1, minor 15<This means nothing, every Mac has that
Kernel is LP64< Are you attempting to boot Mountain Lion?
IPv6 packet filtering initialized, default to accept, logging disabled
AppleIntel8254XEthernet: Ethernet address 00:17:f2:06:fe:d4
AppleIntel8254XEthernet: Ethernet address 00:17:f2:06:fe:d5
AirPort_Brcm43224: Ethernet address 00:19:e3:0a:f2:bc

For the next time, unplug the Ethernet temporarily
IO80211Controller::dataLinkLayerAttachComplete(): adding AppleEFINVRAM notification
macx_swapon SUCCESS
Waiting for DSMOS...
DSMOS has arrived
[CSRBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport][start] -- completed
Previous Shutdown Cause: 0
[IOBluetoothHCIController][staticBluetoothHCIControllerTransportShowsUp] -- Received Bluetooth Controller register service notification
[IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed
AirPort: Link Down on en2. Reason 8 (Disassociated because station leaving).
en2::IO80211Interface::postMessage bssid changed
[IOBluetoothHCIController::setConfigState] calling registerService
L2TP domain init
L2TP domain init complete
l2tp_udp_init_threads: changing # of threads from 0 to 3
Sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 4346
Sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 4379
Ethernet [Intel8254x]: Link up on en0, 1-Gigabit, Full-duplex, Symmetric flow-control, Debug [792d,af08,0de1,0e00,cde1,2836]
Ethernet [Intel8254x]: Link up on en0, 1-Gigabit, Full-duplex, Symmetric flow-control, Debug [792d,af08,0de1,0e00,cde1,2807]
Ethernet [Intel8254x]: Link up on en0, 100-Megabit, Full-duplex, Symmetric flow-control, Debug [792d,6f08,0de1,0e00,4de1,4000]
[ffffff8010a22000][BNBTrackpadDevice::init][75.15] init is complete
[ffffff8010a22000][BNBTrackpadDevice::handleStart][75.15] returning 1
[ffffff801362be00][AppleMultitouchHIDEventDriver::start] entered
[ffffff8013621100][AppleMultitouchDevice::start] entered

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Man how did you learn all this stuff?

Anyhow, glad that you did.

Right, as the power on chime sounds like the famous Big Ben I'll wait until everybody is up first. I can actually boot different partitions now. Do you want the boot log from something else?

Yes this is with an ML boot.

For the last install I disconnected both DVD drives infact the only things plugged in were my 3.5mm jack headphones, ethernet and the monitor and keyboard, (both Apple).

Funny thing is tho I don't for the life of me remember enabling FIPS, neither does this guy.

----------

Right, as the power on chime sounds like the famous Big Ben I'll wait until everybody is up first. I can actually boot different partitions now. Do you want the boot log from something else?

For the last install I disconnected both DVD drives infact the only things plugged in were my 3.5mm jack headphones, ethernet and the monitor and keyboard, (both Apple).

Funny thing is tho I don't for the life of me remember enabling FIPS, neither does this guy.

Lastly does dmesg not do the same as a Cmd V boot?

EDIT: Ah, I see the difference, with dmesg you actually need to have booted to run the command.

GAD!!! Right, have just reinstalled with nothing, I repeat nothing plugged in except the minimum and airport off too.
I wonder if it's because I'm using 10.8.2 instead of 10.8.0 as base for my USB booter?

Last edited:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

----------

Lastly does dmesg not do the same as a Cmd V boot?

EDIT: Ah, I see the difference, with dmesg you actually need to have booted to run the command.

So you've disabled FIPS? I learned those during the Hackintosh days lol.. CMD+V is good for troubleshooting when the Mac doesn't actually boot to the desktop, my Mac Pro will always boot Verbose instead of the nice shiny Apple logo, i prefer to see those diag messages. (you can add this to com.apple.boot.plist).

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
So you've disabled FIPS? I learned those during the Hackintosh days lol.. CMD+V is good for troubleshooting when the Mac doesn't actually boot to the desktop, my Mac Pro will always boot Verbose instead of the nice shiny Apple logo, i prefer to see those diag messages. (you can add this to com.apple.boot.plist).

Nope, FIPS won't disable. I tried removing the files and got stuck in a boot loop. In ML they are as per the help files;
This installation will place the following on your OS X Mountain Lion system: Directory: /usr/libexec/
File:
"cc_fips_test"
Upon restart, your system will automatically perform the required
Power–On–Self–Test (POST).
If there is any problem identified with the Apple OSX CoreCrypto Module, the system boot process will log the error to system.log, immediately halt and the system will shutdown. Otherwise, the normal boot process will continue without issue.
If a failure is detected and the system is shutdown, you should perform the following to correct it:
1) Restart the system in Single-User Mode.
(Hold down the <command> and <S> keys during restart) Starting up in single-user mode
2) Review the System Log for clarification of problem(s) detected. Secure Log is located at: /var/log/system.log
3) If Tool related issues are found, re-run this installer and try again.
4) If the integrity of the Security Module has failed validation, it is best to re-Install OS X Mountain Lion, any software updates as well as re-installing this tool.
5) If you are still unable to identify the problem, it is suggested you search the Apple Support Website for any "FIPS" Knowledge Base Articles and proceed as instructed.
Note:
If you need further assistance, contact AppleCare for support.

A spotlight search of my drive reveals the following -
/usr/libexec/cc_fips_test
/usr/share/man/man1/cc_fips_test.1
/private/var/db/FIPS/fips_data

Removing corecrypto.kext is what caused the boot loop. IIRC removing the other files above did nothing. I'll try again I think.

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008

Tell me, do you have corecrypto.kext on your system at all? Should be in /System/Library/Extensions

CONFIRMATION. Removing that kext causes a boot loop and prevents booting from anything except an internal drive resulting in the below. (In my testing);
1zohkj8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tell me, do you have corecrypto.kext on your system at all? Should be in /System/Library/Extensions

CONFIRMATION. Removing that kext causes a boot loop and prevents booting from anything except an internal drive resulting in the below. (In my testing);

Yes, i do have CoreCrypto.kext. Have you tried a installing on a brand new HDD or another SSD?

EDIT: FAULT CPU?!
EDIT/EDIT! Nvm, i tried removing that kext, ends up the same thing lol..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 5.17.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 5.17.29 PM.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 249

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Yes, i do have CoreCrypto.kext. Have you tried a installing on a brand new HDD or another SSD?

EDIT: FAULT CPU?!

Yep, the SSD is new, got it yesterday from OWC, (formatted as GUID MacOS Extended Journaled). As to fault CPU: 0x3, googling now.....

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Yep, the SSD is new, got it yesterday from OWC, (formatted as GUID MacOS Extended Journaled). As to fault CPU: 0x3, googling now.....

Ok did some in depth studies about FIPS. Where did you get your installer from? Seems that the FIPS came from the installer itself. Ignore the CPU Fault message, just tried it on my MacBook Air (removing CoreCrypto.kext it gave me the same error message too)

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Ok did some in depth studies about FIPS. Where did you get your installer from? Seems that the FIPS came from the installer itself. Ignore the CPU Fault message, just tried it on my MacBook Air (removing CoreCrypto.kext it gave me the same error message too)

Exactly what do you mean by installer? Are you referring to the original ML download? If so, downloaded from the App Store myself with a MacBook Air.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Exactly what do you mean by installer? Are you referring to the original ML download? If so, downloaded from the App Store myself with a MacBook Air.

Yes im referring to the ML download. Do you have Lion in hand? If yes, burn it in a DVD instead of putting it in a thumb drive (unless you have another T.drive.) and try. Check if the T. drive has FIPS enabled

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Yes im referring to the ML download. Do you have Lion in hand? If yes, burn it in a DVD instead of putting it in a thumb drive (unless you have another T.drive.) and try. Check if the T. drive has FIPS enabled

Will do it now......Have just noticed one difference. The USB is Mac OS extended whilst my other drives are Mac OS extended Journaled. I wonder if that makes a difference?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Well it doesn't really make a difference Journaled drive generally runs faster but anyway try with a different USB

Well that will take a while. I'll have to go out and buy one, but needs must so I will.
You are a gentleman, thanks for your input.

Disk Utility ;
When no disk is selected -

x5rqfp.png

But with a disk selected -

2dt15ww.png

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hi Wayne. I think the following has been mentioned before but as I'm running out of steam with this FIPS thing.......

Is it possible to install ML on my sisters Air. Edit the support plists as necessary. Clone to my Mac Pro then boot and use Migration assistant to bring the other accounts, (on a separate HD), across?

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi Wayne. I think the following has been mentioned before but as I'm running out of steam with this FIPS thing.......

Is it possible to install ML on my sisters Air. Edit the support plists as necessary. Clone to my Mac Pro then boot and use Migration assistant to bring the other accounts, (on a separate HD), across?

You don't have to modify support plist as it will just work out of the box. Ive done that many times.\

EDIT: Don't use Migration Assistant. Verify that the problem is fixed before doing anything else. If the problem came back after using Migration Assistant, then transfer files one by one

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
You don't have to modify support plist as it will just work out of the box. Ive done that many times.\

EDIT: Don't use Migration Assistant. Verify that the problem is fixed before doing anything else. If the problem came back after using Migration Assistant, then transfer files one by one

Funny, got the prohibit sign at boot. Had to use the hacked folders to make it work. But I'm going to zero the drive and re-try.

EDIT:
Right, this how it went -
1. Completely formatted then zeroed and repartitioned a spare 500GB drive on the MP1,1.
2. Switched on the Air and upgraded Lion to Mountain Lion.
3. Ran dmesg which came up with the same Crypto messages as my Mac Pro.
4. Cloned its drive to an FW800 portable using Carbon Copy Cloner.
5. Modded the clone with the MLHacks stuff, (using the Air), and keeping the originals safely.
6. Cloned the Air to a partition on the MP1,1.
7. Boot the pro and run dmesg.............which I am expecting to come up with the Crypto stuff of course, but at least I know that iMessages now works properly.

8. NVRAM is functional on the Air but not on the Pro so I've made the assumption that those FIPS messages are not in fact the limiting factor.

I think my logic abord may be dying after all?

Gonna go to the Apple Store about the FIPS thing though.

Last edited:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Funny, got the prohibit sign at boot. Had to use the hacked folders to make it work. But I'm going to zero the drive and re-try.

EDIT:
Right, this how it went -
1. Completely formatted then zeroed and repartitioned a spare 500GB drive on the MP1,1.
2. Switched on the Air and upgraded Lion to Mountain Lion.
3. Ran dmesg which came up with the same Crypto messages as my Mac Pro.
4. Cloned its drive to an FW800 portable using Carbon Copy Cloner.
5. Modded the clone with the MLHacks stuff, (using the Air), and keeping the originals safely.
6. Cloned the Air to a partition on the MP1,1.
7. Boot the pro and run dmesg.............which I am expecting to come up with the Crypto stuff of course, but at least I know that iMessages now works properly.

8. NVRAM is functional on the Air but not on the Pro so I've made the assumption that those FIPS messages are not in fact the limiting factor.

I think my logic abord may be dying after all?

Gonna go to the Apple Store about the FIPS thing though.

At this point i suspect the RAM is the culprit

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
I'll put the original single GIG of RAM I have back in and try to reinstall Tiger I think from the DVD.

EDIT:
Right, done that and Tiger runs. It even allows me to change the boot disc. I reckon my problem is that I used 10.8.2 as a base for my install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.