Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NimbleBit has updated its game Pocket Planes [App Store] with iPhone 5 support, as well as launching a brand new Mac app [App Store] for the game that will fully sync with the iPhone and iPad apps.

Pocket Planes -- which has seen 2.5 million downloads to date from the App Store -- is a free-to-play tycoon-style game with premium currency, but it is easy to play and to advance without purchasing any currency. NimbleBit's Tiny Tower [App Store] works similarly, and is a perfect game for the taller screen on the iPhone 5.

pocketplanesmac.png
The Mac version is a near-identical port from the iOS version, complete with massive interface elements, though some parts -- like the flight map -- have been optimized for the larger screen on the Mac. The iCloud syncing between the iOS and Mac versions should make it easy for gamers to continue playing no matter which platform they're using.

Pocket Planes is a free download for the iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Pocket Planes for Mac is a free download from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Pocket Planes' Gains iPhone 5 Support for iOS, New Mac App

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
This is news, how?

Advertisement pretending to be an article?

*sigh*

As with all of our posts, they didn't pay anything...we don't accept paid posts.

It's a fairly popular game that now has some nice cross-platform syncing via iCloud.

Nimblebit is doing some nice stuff...Tiny Tower was Apple's iPhone Game of the Year last year.

So take it for what it is...a heads-up that a game from a popular developer has some nice updates.

chris.robison

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Hurray! iPhone 5 update is great, I've been waiting for it to continue my game. It looks nice with the extra space and the iPhone 5's better color makes it look better too.

The Mac version is nice. Its basically the phone version on your computer, ha. It plays and looks great, though it isn't syncing with my phone quite as nicely as I'd like.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
This is news, how?

It's news to the people who are interested in this game and are excited by this new development. If you're not, you can simply ignore it.

This is great. I really love pocket planes and now having it on both the bigger screen of the 5 and on the Mac is going to make playing this even better.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Not sure why the Mac version needs 10.8? iCloud syncing works fine for me on 10.7 (and I can't upgrade anyway as this Mac is too old)!

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Advertisement pretending to be an article?

Did you mean to post your comment in this thread about the new iPod commercial? Because that definitely is an ad. Obviously Apple is paying Macrumors for preferential treatment in its coverage!

Or maybe this thread about a trailer for Crazy Taxi? Trailers are also actual ads. When will Macrumors stop taking SEGA's dirty money?!

Or any of the gazillion articles about Apple or third-party hardware -- phone cases, hard drives, game controllers...When will the madness stop?!?

And yet, little to no complaining about those articles being ads. It's almost as if Macrumors is just reporting on different software, hardware, and other news about Apple, and companies providing products for or competing with them. And this on a website about Apple-related news and rumors! :eek:

Except for all those articles about patents. Now those are obviously really ads for the patent attorney industry. ;)

Last edited:

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I read around the interwebs that this new version is quite buggy.
Anyone who updated can report on this?

Confirmed. Also downloaded the Mac version and it crashed twice in a row, so I deleted straight away. Pity too. I was hoping to get back into the game a little. Not interested now.

guineapig

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Italy
I expected to see more planes, but just two rare planes have been added. Not a great shift in gameplay.
Also, I can resist a little longer with my nice layover bug still in place ;)

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Downloaded app for iPhone 5. Opened and it crashed twice. Deleted. Also it looks very pixelated like it was built for Nintendo or something

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
*sigh*

As with all of our posts, they didn't pay anything...we don't accept paid posts.

It's a fairly popular game that now has some nice cross-platform syncing via iCloud.

Nimblebit is doing some nice stuff...Tiny Tower was Apple's iPhone Game of the Year last year.

So take it for what it is...a heads-up that a game from a popular developer has some nice updates.

I will take it for what it is:
"An app the MacRumors staff like."
I see these kind of topics as a nice indication of their favourite apps.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I loved, and still love, Tiny Towers. I've tried to like Pocket Planes but the game just isn't addictive nor fun. The fact that you have to micro manage everything adds to frustration.

guineapig

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Italy
I loved, and still love, Tiny Towers. I've tried to like Pocket Planes but the game just isn't addictive nor fun. The fact that you have to micro manage everything adds to frustration.
I'd say that Tiny Tower is rather mechanical and repetitive, yet really addicting (I've unlocked all floors). Actually you can never lose in TT.
In PP, the choices you make (which planes, which airports, which passengers) have a great impact on your progress (read income) and development of your airline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.