Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
I take my iPod between home and work and I have it auto-update at home. When I get to work I always have to set the preference to manually update so that I can listen to the music from the iPod, through the computer.

Why isn't there (and tell me if there is) a setting so that your iPod can remember that it is linked to computer A and assume that I don't want it to auto-update on any other computer unless i go into the iPod preferences and change it? It just seems like the behavior is pretty counter-intuitive.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
mnkeybsness said:
I take my iPod between home and work and I have it auto-update at home. When I get to work I always have to set the preference to manually update so that I can listen to the music from the iPod, through the computer.

Why isn't there (and tell me if there is) a setting so that your iPod can remember that it is linked to computer A and assume that I don't want it to auto-update on any other computer unless i go into the iPod preferences and change it? It just seems like the behavior is pretty counter-intuitive.

Can't you check "don't show this message again" when you plug it in and it asks if you want to update your ipod to this computer?

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
I think when you set your iPod to be automatically updated, it wont let you connected it to any other computer but the one that you set the auto update on.

I *think* is the keyword. Just because my manually update iPod can connect to any computer and take music (legally ofcourse =\) when other people with autoupdates havent been able to plug into my computer.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Maybe I should clear this up...

I want my home computer to use auto-updates.

My work computer needs to be set on "manual update" in order to play music from the iPod.

The iPod remembers the last setting saved whether it should auto or manual update, but it doesn't remember which computer set it, so it always tries to use the last setting from either computer, when I want it to remember the setting from the specific computer that it is on, which it does not.

Does this make more sense?

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
mnkeybsness said:
Maybe I should clear this up...

I want my home computer to use auto-updates.

My work computer needs to be set on "manual update" in order to play music from the iPod.

The iPod remembers the last setting saved whether it should auto or manual update, but it doesn't remember which computer set it, so it always tries to use the last setting from either computer, when I want it to remember the setting from the specific computer that it is on, which it does not.

Does this make more sense?

Right, but I dont think you can do this. Apple links iPods to specific iTunes on specific machines. Know what Im saying?

If you set it to manual update on your home computer, or even the one at work, I believe you can use it on both computers. Otherwise, you can not use it on more then 1 computer because when you connect it to the work computer, it will try autoupdating, will notice the contents are different and that your linked to a different library, and ask if you would like to delete and replace.

Im sure I made this more confusing then it should be haha.

But basically, you cant have autoupdate on if you want to use more then 1 computer and the iTunes application. As far as I know that is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.