Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xuselppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Just saw this deal on CNET. If you were on the fence about getting this phone, you can get it now for a hundred bucks, add in a 64gb sd card and you have got yourself an 82gb phone for $150!

Best Buy is going under and will soon end up like Circuit City. They are doing these promotions to try and compete with Amazon, which is an exercise in futility. Sad to see BB fade away.

cotak

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Some of the carriers in Canada were doing 0 dollars for the S3. 99 is rather expensive...

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
If we're talking about carriers then 3 in Ireland were offering the S3 for free. I'm not sure if they still do and whether it's a 18 or 24 months contract.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
BB is in trouble? This is the first I've heard of it. They just opened a new one two towns over from me.

If that's unlocked or contract free then I will get one. But could we get a link here?

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Can you use a Verizon upgrade with this, or is it new customers only? Also, do they add their own contract on top of the carrier agreement like Amazon does?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Just saw this deal on CNET. If you were on the fence about getting this phone, you can get it now for a hundred bucks, add in a 64gb sd card and you have got yourself an 82gb phone for $150!

Best Buy is going under and will soon end up like Circuit City. They are doing these promotions to try and compete with Amazon, which is an exercise in futility. Sad to see BB fade away.

Im guessing that is a subsidized price. Cant see them selling it for $99 off contract.

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota

Best Buy is going under? Have you seen their cash flow?
A company is trying to do something nice for customers and you see it as futile? Wow....

xuselppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
A company is trying to do something nice for customers and you see it as futile? Wow....

It's not being nice. Has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

xuselppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012

Best Buy is closing down numerous stores around the country and letting a lot of those employees go, in order to consolidate. Amazon is kicking their butt, and consumers are using Best Bug's brick and mortar stores to browse physical items and then compare pricing on their smartphones.
Circuit City had a nice cash flow going at one point as well, until Best Buy undercut their pricing with volume. Sound familiar? Except Amazon is now undercutting BB.

50 Best Buy stores closed this year alone and staff sent packing, plus the founder and CEO resigned in April and sold all of his stock sending Best Bug's stock down 92%!

This is the future of Best Buy:

Attachments

• 1345576066437.cached.jpg
    1345576066437.cached.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 72

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Best Buy is closing down numerous stores around the country and letting a lot of those employees go, in order to consolidate. Amazon is kicking their butt, and consumers are using Best Bug's brick and mortar stores to browse physical items and then compare pricing on their smartphones.
Circuit City had a nice cash flow going at one point as well, until Best Buy undercut their pricing with volume. Sound familiar? Except Amazon is now undercutting BB.

50 Best Buy stores closed this year alone and staff sent packing, plus the founder and CEO resigned in April and sold all of his stock sending Best Bug's stock down 92%!

This is the future of Best Buy:

I think it is a bummer they are in trouble. I like being able to go in and use some of the products but the stores has its faults.

I went in yesterday trying to find some Otterbox cases for my GS3 and 95% of all the cases and accessaries they have are for the iPhone. Thats one big strike right there since they sell so many other phones. I mean WTF are they thinking there? I dont expect every phone to have accessaries but the GS3 is a big seller and they have really nothing but a few cheap crappy plastic cases.
The ONE Otterbox they did have for the GS3 was a camouflage print and it was $59. Those same Defender Otterbox cases are $29 to $40 on eBay.
I ended up getting a Otterbox Commuter for $17.53($20.99 minus $3.47 with my eBay bucks). I might have bouhgt one there if they carried it but they didnt.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I was so tempted to get the S3 last Sunday. I had my finger on the button all day. But I really wanted to get the Lumia 920 and now that they are around the corner and for just $150 I'm glad I waited.

I am definitely going to check out the S4 this spring or whenever it drops. Is it odd of me to have three phones?!

I don't know about BB- they just opened two near me and they are always busy when I'm there. I admit I usually do prefer Amazon, especially with Prime. But if I want something NOW Best Buy is literally the only place to go. I just bought a great TV from them during their memorial day sale. And if you want a CD or DVD they are the only game in town where I am. I also purchased a clothes dryer from them and their delivery service was spot on. Way better than Sears. Their salesman suck, but that's any retail store. Even Apple haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.