Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredvs79

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
AT&T White iPhone 5 - 64GB, preordered direct from Apple, shipped direct from China, it arrived with two small nicks in the chamfered edge of the phone and has the light leak near the on/off button, and experiences static lines when entering my password in the app store. If I were a perfectionist I'd be pretty upset, but this seems to be par for the course.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
AT&T White iPhone 5 - 64GB, preordered direct from Apple, shipped direct from China, it arrived with two small nicks in the chamfered edge of the phone and has the light leak near the on/off button, and experiences static lines when entering my password in the app store. If I were a perfectionist I'd be pretty upset, but this seems to be par for the course.

Jesus I've just noticed the light shows in the bit between the power button part and the glass. No issue on the screen yet but this is my replacement and I don't want to be a fussy git.

----------

My phone has a streak of light leaking from in-between the glass panel and the structure; it is right under my lock button. Kinda makes the lock button look illuminated. Anyone else notice a problem like this?

This is the best photo I could get.

This is what mine looks like. Did anyone report this to the store. This was a replacement for me also.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
My phone has a streak of light leaking from in-between the glass panel and the structure; it is right under my lock button. Kinda makes the lock button look illuminated. Anyone else notice a problem like this?

So yeah, the black has "scuff gate" and the white has "light leak gate" so it looks like we all lose

I can live with it but I just hope dust doesn't get in :/

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
I have a black iPhone 5 with a small amount of light leak. Not sure if it's worth taking it in for, since I usually have a case on it and wouldn't notice it anyway.

Jasonv2

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Just noticed this on my White iP5 32GB. I'm going in tomorow to see about a replacement, but from what I gather this is fairly common. Just want a heads up do people actually have White models with-out this? lol It's only easily visible in the dark but I don't want to get to the store and look like a nutjob checking below the power button with a magnifying glass. :D

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
Just received my Advanced Replacement phone to replace my LAST Advanced Replacement phone that had a power button defect (read: you had to use a table to engage the thing). Light leak on the new phone.

This has been fun!

EDIT: yea, it is going back.

bravo0123

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Can't see it, why does it matter

I can't see it on my phone, maybe the room isn't dark enough? Then I am thinking to myself, why am I even bothering, who cares. These people need to get a better life then the one that have where they analyze their iphones in the dark.

Back to more important things.

mainboard

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
the best way to test.

1. Completely dark room.
2. Maximum brightness.

Mine has some leak using this method. but i am definately not going to max out the brightness in a completely dark room, its actually blinding!

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
As much as I want to re-iterate the slightly poor quality of the very latest iPhone (I've had multiple exchanges due to defects of different kinds), mine does not exhibit the light leak on maximum brightness, in a completely dark room.

If you ask me, I'd rather have this tolerable abnormality than a scratch, ding, nick, dust under the glass, dead or stuck pixel, yellow screen, wifi/cell signal loss or a defective battery out of the box.

Consider yourselves lucky if you only have this slight light leak. To me, it's not worth a return or exchange.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx

Your complaining about that? Seeing a tiny bit of light under a button, in total darkness? Really? Put a case on it and you won't see it!

xclusiveiphone

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
The light leak is due to a design flaw in the LCD back plate. The bottom bends down to conceal the LCD back light while the top is flat and leaves light exposed. With all the engineers at Apple, you wonder how they let this slip by. Could have easily been prevented if they actually used their heads.

----------

Your complaining about that? Seeing a tiny bit of light under a button, in total darkness? Really? Put a case on it and you won't see it!

Some snap on cases do not cover the top.

Leotno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
BGR picked up on your post, as well as having an issue with theirs, here's an excerpt:

"The light leak and loosening chamfer on BGR’s defective iPhone 5 was a 64GB white and silver model running on AT&T. The light leak is unnoticeable except when the iPhone 5 is used under low-light or completely dark situations.

Various members on the MacRumors forums have reported the same problem, with some receiving brand new (not refurbished) models as replacements from Apple Stores. One member who goes by the handle “vineetnangia” said the replacement Apple provided still had the same issue."

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/24/iphone-5-light-leak-apple-defect/

Im so popular. :eek:

I have yet to take in my phone for a replacement. Id rather have a random light streak than blemishes. Although the lock button is starting to malfunction, it may be time to get that replacement.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
Im so popular. :eek:

I have yet to take in my phone for a replacement. Id rather have a random light streak than blemishes. Although the lock button is starting to malfunction, it may be time to get that replacement.

Your next iPhone will have it, too. My power button broke and it landed me with two straight minor light leak devices. I've accepted it and moved on with my life.

MDCDM

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
I just picked up a white iphone 5 today, and I noticed that it only displays the light leak when I use the led flash. It's not that big of a deal to me seeing as how it's only noticeable for the duration of the actual flash. I returned a black iphone 5 due to numerous deep scuffs and scratches that were present when I unboxed it, so this issue seems to be the lesser of the two evils.

rnbgrilla

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012

mine have the same light leak, FML it bothers me a lot now, that i see it.
im going to change it in. asap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.