Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I've been wanting and wondering why they already don't have this stolk in the iPod or iPhone... An fm transmitter and radio reciever would blow the competition out of the water as well an iPod with a built in transmitter is almost a no brainer

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
You never heard of apps like TuneIn Radio, WunderRadio...there's another one I can't think of the name. They all stream radio stations.

I think you're confusing transmitter and receiver. I think the OP is talking about an FM transmitter so you can use your iPhone in the car (or near any FM radio) without an adapter.

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK
I suspect not. For one thing there would be regulatory problems (I think they are still technically illegal in the UK), and problems that would be different from one country to another.

For another, many newer cars come with a means of connecting via cable or Bluetooth or the like.

Finally, isn't FM supposed to be being replaced real soon now by DAB or Radio Mondiale or something? (Yeah, right! :rolleyes:)

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
You never heard of apps like TuneIn Radio, WunderRadio...there's another one I can't think of the name. They all stream radio stations.

You guys have no idea what a transmitter is... It allows you to stream your music on an fm frequency so you can put ur radio to a station and transmit your music through it..

There are lots of cell phones that have this already

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
I suspect not. For one thing there would be regulatory problems (I think they are still technically illegal in the UK), and problems that would be different from one country to another.

I believe they lowered that restriction, provided the device doesn't broadcast over a certain distance (5 feet or some such thing). However yes, the regulatory problems with selling such a device throughout numerous countries is probably more of a headache than Apple are prepared to deal with, especially since most modern cars have either iPod dock or 3.5mm jack connectors, and 3rd party transmitters are available for older cars. Not to mention AirPlay for which Apple is pushing as 'the' way to stream music from your iOS device.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I doubt it. The last two iPod Nanos have had the transmitter, so I figure Apple would have put it in the iPhone already if they were going to.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010

I know that the OP is talking about the transmitter; but, an FM receiver would be nice, so when you're out of wifi range, you can listen to channels, without using up all of your credit / MB for your contract.

mltaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
I believe it would make for more antenna problemos. They could figure it out seeing as other companies have it

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009

You guys have no idea what a transmitter is... It allows you to stream your music on an fm frequency so you can put ur radio to a station and transmit your music through it..

There are lots of cell phones that have this already

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Facepalm

The op is wondering when a device like this with the lightning connector is released.

fmtransmitter_04-3.gif

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
I've been wanting and wondering why they already don't have this stolk in the iPod or iPhone... An fm transmitter and radio reciever would blow the competition out of the water as well an iPod with a built in transmitter is almost a no brainer

Don't remember Last time I listen FM, i just remember noise and commercials. If i need news AM is better option to me. Otherwise $4/month Pandora rules!

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I use one that you plug into the car itself and then plug it into the headphone jack. Unfortunately it's a lot less convenient than one you'd plug into the phone itself and have the phone power it.

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London
ov

For another, many newer cars come with a means of connecting via cable or Bluetooth or the like.

Finally, isn't FM supposed to be being replaced real soon now by DAB or Radio Mondiale or something? (Yeah, right! :rolleyes:)

Lol illegal in the UK?
You don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Nokia has had this for over 10 years on their smartphones
Please don't give out false information when you don't have the source or evidence to back this up.
Apples hardware has always been behind the curve in terms of connectivity.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
The only thing I can think of that might work is this: the FM transmitters used by satellite radio (not the one that comes with the unit) may work. There is an adaptor that plugs into the antenna port of your radio, then the antenna plugs into the back of it. It is still called an FM transmitter. On the other end is the plug for audio.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
God, I would never use an FM transmitter for streaming music.....

First off, most of the time there is enough interference that even on the transmitters I have used with multiple stations, I couldn't find one clear enough to have even a half way decent stream.

Second, when traveling any distance you have to constantly change "stations" your fm transmitter is broadcasting on in order to get a half way decent signal when you enter in a new area with new radio stations

Third, the sound degradation from using FM is atrocious. I'm no Audiophile, and we are talking about AAC's and MP3's, but FM is second only to AM in how poorly the audio is reproduced.

So no. Please Apple. Do not under any circumstance include an FM Transmitter with ANY of your devices. I wish not to have it nor pay for it.

Most cars built in the last 5 years have a "Aux" port for hooking a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable which will give you 10x better audio than FM (not to mention many are now coming with USB ports even)....

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
God, I would never use an FM transmitter for streaming music.....

First off, most of the time there is enough interference that even on the transmitters I have used with multiple stations, I couldn't find one clear enough to have even a half way decent stream.

Second, when traveling any distance you have to constantly change "stations" your fm transmitter is broadcasting on in order to get a half way decent signal when you enter in a new area with new radio stations

Third, the sound degradation from using FM is atrocious. I'm no Audiophile, and we are talking about AAC's and MP3's, but FM is second only to AM in how poorly the audio is reproduced.

So no. Please Apple. Do not under any circumstance include an FM Transmitter with ANY of your devices. I wish not to have it nor pay for it.

Most cars built in the last 5 years have a "Aux" port for hooking a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable which will give you 10x better audio than FM (not to mention many are now coming with USB ports even)....

The OP never mentioned streaming. The others who misunderstood him did. I suspect OP has one of those 'older than 5 years' vehicles without the AUX port or else he probably would not be asking the question.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The only thing I can think of that might work is this: the FM transmitters used by satellite radio (not the one that comes with the unit) may work. There is an adaptor that plugs into the antenna port of your radio, then the antenna plugs into the back of it. It is still called an FM transmitter. On the other end is the plug for audio.

The plug on the other end is not for audio. It's a special antenna plug (looks like audio though) that plugs into an FM Out jack on the satellite radio. I've installed these on a few cars, you most definitely cannot plug it into the headphone jack of an iPhone.

That's not to say there's not an adapter that allows you to plug it into an iPhone - you would need something plugged into the dock connector or headphone jack that modulates it to an FM signal, then it would plug into the FM adapter which then plugs into the back of your radio. I don't know of any, but there might be one out there. They take some knowledge to install, since you have to get to the back of your radio, and some extra hardware could be required (American and European cars usually need an antenna adapter), but they do work well if your radio doesn't have a regular AUX input.

However, like I said, if you just pick up one of the adapters used for satellite radios and plug it into your iPhone, it won't work.

CC424

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
I'm with the op...used an itrip with my 4s and loved the fact of it being wireless.

My car has an Aux port but its behind the armrest. Also, the itrip displayed track and artist on radio.

As of now, the only option is apple 30 pin adapter which I will not buy because itrip was $50.00. Just doesn't make sense to spend $30.00 to convert new technology to old technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.