Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, we noted that the Swiss Federal Railways service was objecting to Apple's use of its iconic clock design for the new iPad clock app in iOS 6.

The Verge now points to a press release [Google translation] from the railway service announcing that a licensing agreement has been reached.
For the use of the SBB station clock on devices like iPad and iPhone, the Swiss Federal Railways SBB and Apple have agreed and signed a license agreement.
swissrailwayclock.jpg
Apple's iPad clock app (left) and Swiss Federal Railways clock (right)
Terms of the licensing agreement, including payment and term length details, were not disclosed.

Article Link: Apple Licenses Swiss Railway Clock Design for iPad's iOS 6 Clock App

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
SBB: "We want $20 million for licensing"

Apple: "How about a 20 free iPhone 5s?"

SBB: "20 iPhones?!? Absolutely not!"

Apple: "What if we can guarantee none of them are scratched?"

SBB: "Deal."

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I still wonder if either Apple didn't know that their clock was so close to the Swiss Railway design or just didn't care??

Gravity

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Chicago
Not so iconic, imho

This is a clock-face that I could have designed. It's so basic and derivative. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's designer came up with it on his/her own coincidentally. But yeah, it would look like a total ripoff if it weren't so generic. I would have rejected this design.

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
Eminently sensible conclusion!

Sensible yes after this Swiss company had to call them out.

It would have been nice for Apple to license it properly in the first place and actually follow what they were preaching themselves in the Samsung trial.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
It's a fantastic design. Happy to see they worked out an agreement, and credit is given where it's due.

ArdBuijsen

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
[fandroid mode on] I really don'r see what the problem is. It is quit clear that there is no other way you can design a clock [/fandroid mode off]

;)

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Its just a basic clock? I dont get it.

Probably one of the designers was just making the graphics and just popped into their head one day, maybe they walked past it and it was just in the back of their memory.

Other than that, good to see some fair play.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
OK. I realize that this is just my personal opinion, but I think the clock is ugly as sin.

The Swiss railway authority should be embarrassed to about their clock.

The Swiss Railway Authority should be paying Apple a hefty sum for using such an ugly icon.

Now, I must admit that I have no use for a clock with no numbers on it. When I buy a new watch which I do about every four or five years, it must have arabic numerals on it. Not hash marks, not Roman Numerals, but Arabic numerals. I want to be able to look at my watch, or clock, and know what time it is. I do not want to have to sit there and count hash marks to figure out what time it is.

Of course, your mileage may vary. If you like the clock, then I am happy for you and I hope you live a long and happy life.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Its just a basic clock? I dont get it.

Probably one of the designers was just making the graphics and just popped into their head one day, maybe they walked past it and it was just in the back of their memory.

Other than that, good to see some fair play.

It's design seems so obvious only in hindsight.

This is one beautiful clock face.

ArdBuijsen

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
OK. I realize that this is just my personal opinion, but I think the clock is ugly as sin.

The Swiss railway authority should be embarrassed to about their clock.

The Swiss Railway Authority should be paying Apple a hefty sum for using such an ugly icon.

Now, I must admit that I have no use for a clock with no numbers on it. When I buy a new watch which I do about every four or five years, it must have arabic numerals on it. Not hash marks, not Roman Numerals, but Arabic numerals. I want to be able to look at my watch, or clock, and know what time it is. I do not want to have to sit there and count hash marks to figure out what time it is.

Of course, your mileage may vary. If you like the clock, then I am happy for you and I hope you live a long and happy life.

I think it is actually a gorgeous looking clock. It is I think a design classic. Of course Apple knew. They just tried to do it without coughing up. Silly.

Adam-

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
I suppose its probably quite hard to check the worldwide designs for a clock, seeing as they have around 6 variables to contend with.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I still wonder if either Apple didn't know that their clock was so close to the Swiss Railway design or just didn't care??
I have a feeling a designer used their clock as inspiration and that it somehow flew under the radar of executives there. It doesn't really make sense to intentionally take a risk of looking bad for a licensing fee that is probably miniscule in the grand scheme of things. That risk and media attention seems like a much higher price to pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.