Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Yep - these are the kind of problems we have to deal with over here in the first world, africa.

Gravity

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Chicago
OK. I realize that this is just my personal opinion, but I think the clock is ugly as sin.

The Swiss railway authority should be embarrassed to about their clock.

The Swiss Railway Authority should be paying Apple a hefty sum for using such an ugly icon.

Now, I must admit that I have no use for a clock with no numbers on it. When I buy a new watch which I do about every four or five years, it must have arabic numerals on it. Not hash marks, not Roman Numerals, but Arabic numerals. I want to be able to look at my watch, or clock, and know what time it is. I do not want to have to sit there and count hash marks to figure out what time it is.

Of course, your mileage may vary. If you like the clock, then I am happy for you and I hope you live a long and happy life.

I agree that it's ugly. Thick lines in place of numbers? Nothing new. Smaller lines for the minutes? Nothing new. Red second hand? Nothing new. Adding a big red dot at the end of the second hand? Makes tracking easier. That's a basic, functional design decision... it's not an artistic choice. It's a minimalist way to make the design more functional. I believe it's VERY possible they were both designed independently.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I guess I licensed mine when I bought it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 228

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Sensible yes after this Swiss company had to call them out.

It would have been nice for Apple to license it properly in the first place and actually follow what they were preaching themselves in the Samsung trial.

Samsung's case is different because Apple offered to work out a licensing deal but Samsung rejected. They paid Microsoft for other patent infringement instead.

Now Motorola/google are still fighting with MS even though every other major Android licensee is paying.

Why pay MS and not Apple when the latter is responsible for the modern smartphone revolution ? The few patents Apple use to sue Samsung are merely a small subset of the iPhone patents. Even MS worked out a cross licensing deal with Apple.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

Blorzoga - you probably stumbled across the issue. The Swiss Federal Railway authority is probably licensing the design to some company making watches and clocks. The Swiss probably needed to make sure that licensing agreement was protected.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Apple knew exactly what they were doing when they took the SBB clock design.

I live in Switzerland and can tell you the SBB is the most punctual rail road system in the world. Nothing raidates precision as that clock at the station. You can feel the train starting to move the second the second hand passes 12. In spain (where i also used to live) youre lucky if the train is even there when its supposed to leave.

I would trust my life with the SBB clock.

Now, apple has a "swiss" watch in their phone.

I lift my hat, and nod.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I still wonder if either Apple didn't know that their clock was so close to the Swiss Railway design or just didn't care??

I suspect the first. It is, apparently, a widely licensed design, so they may have assumed (seeing the same design on clocks from so many different manufacturers) that it was an unprotected design.

Once it came to light that the design was protected, it was pretty certain that Apple would license the design. They just had to get their lawyers together with the Swiss Railway lawyers to hammer out the details.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
This is a clock-face that I could have designed. It's so basic and derivative. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's designer came up with it on his/her own coincidentally. But yeah, it would look like a total ripoff if it weren't so generic. I would have rejected this design.

People say this all the time and, well, they're pretty much always wrong.

I'm not saying this to have a go at you so please don't take this personally, but great, iconic designs, the simple ones that last for generations, they are the hardest to create - if they weren't then we'd all be doing it!

You see it as generic now, but that's only a measure of how successful it has become. Just how so many say that swipe to unlock is generic, or pinch to zoom... accept people were blown away by the simplicity of them, the implementation was so perfect and so natural that they left everyone scratching their heads and asking "why didn't I think of that?!"

This clock design is iconic and, no, you probably couldn't have designed it. Nor could I. If I could design stuff like this, I'd be a richer man than I am today.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Are you seriously implying the clock is an artistic design? It's not.

Why not? Hans Hilfiker was a designer partly responsible for its creation why can it not have an element of artistic design?

Anyway my original post was aimed at all those who criticise the simplistic by saying "I could have done that!" yet they don't and they didn't and that's what seperates them from the artists who produce orignal ideas concepts and art.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006

It's apparently a *widely* licensed design. I was at Target recently and saw two clocks with the same (or *very* similar face) made by different companies. If I'd seen that before the initial article here, I'd have assumed it was an unprotected design. I suspect that's what happened here.

(There was a third which was also similar, but it used a diamond instead of a circle on the second hand.)

Last edited:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Wasn't there a story that Swiss Railway wanted no monetary funds from apple, just an admission the copied the design- in fact i thought they were flattered.

I believe they said it was not ONLY monetary compensation they wanted, but also recognition. And yes, they were flattered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.