Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Am I the only one who despised the 6th gen? It was WAYY too tiny. Way to small for a touch screen. The 7th gen is more of a nano than the 6th gen ever was.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
Hell I just picked up a new factory sealed 5th gen for 220 on Amazon, Im sure there will be plenty of 6th gens around for years to come.

Another thing I don't understand is the dropping of the 8gb model, it was the middle man between the shuffle and 16gb nano, now instead of that middle man people go from 50 shuffle to 150 nano to all the way to 300 for the touch. They really screwed up the pricing scheme this generation.

Actually, I agree on the pricing, I think something in the $100 range would be a nice option to still have.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The size of the old nano was anything but perfect.

Lists were unmanageable - the text is both bigger and the screen is smaller than any other nano. Put simply it was bad at finding the songs you wanted.

Holding the actual device was awkward. There was not a good way to hold it - it was a device that was meant to be clipped on or strapped in a watch band.

As a watch it was novel, but the iPod is not a watch it is a music player. I really am happy Apple is returning to that focus on music. The new nano will be incredible. We finally have wireless audio, a nice big screen and lots of other great things to look forward to - I own every iPod nano and am really looking forward to receiving my 7th generation nano.

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
For me, the 6th gen was too small and too easy to lose. I will continue to enjoy my 5th gen (until I lose it).

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
It was (and still is) the best iPod I've ever used for sports. I think I'm going to have to buy one more in case my current one breaks. The new one is too big IMO.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I preferred the older nano, I dislike the new one.

If you think they should drop the shuffle you have clearly never ran in your life.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
6th Gen Nano - Best gym iPod ever!! :)

I dove for the 6th gen as soon as it was released because my iPod Shuffle was becoming a pain to navigate and as I listen to a lot of podcasts, if I accidentally skipped to the next track it meant having to navigate back then pressing the forward button to get to where I was at. Painful!! With the Nano you can see where you're at always and easily navigate it.
So to me the 6th gen Nano was almost like an evolution of the Shuffle. It was everything I could have hoped for for the Shuffle. It was the perfect size and design (with the clip) which was (is) perfect for the gym.

I think Apple should do away with the Shuffle and bring back the 6th gen Nano. They could relaunch it as a new product altogether, perhaps call it the 'iPod N6' or the 'iPod Fit' and they could even market it as the 'Nano ReShuffled'.d

slowtony

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Van Nuys, CA
It was (and still is) the best iPod I've ever used for sports. I think I'm going to have to buy one more in case my current one breaks. The new one is too big IMO.

The Apple Store still has a good selection of 6th Generation Nanos. They only offer the 8GB model. The price is now $99. (I think it used to be $89).

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_nano/8gb

Each unit includes a new battery and a new outer case. Sadly, Patriks, they don't carry a RED case like yours. Those were only available in Apple's retail stores.

Scipod

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I have been the owner of a ton of nanos, touches and classics, while the touch is good for everytHing, classic is best for music, the nano still has a place... The 3rd gen nano had by far the best form factor but the 5th beats every other nano because of many things, thin, camera, click wheel, radio

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
The Apple Store still has a good selection of 6th Generation Nanos. They only offer the 8GB model. The price is now $99. (I think it used to be $89).

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_nano/8gb

Each unit includes a new battery and a new outer case. Sadly, Patriks, they don't carry a RED case like yours. Those were only available in Apple's retail stores.

Thanks a lot for the info, unfortunately I live in Europe and they don't have them in our store :( maybe I'll try find a friend in the States willing to send it :)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I agree. It just did not feel right in my hands.

I clip the 6th gen on the edge of my shirt after hitting play on a nice long playlist I have on there, no problem. Sometimes I switch to a real shuffle (I think of 6th gen as a kind of shuffle), but it's nice to have the little watch on the placket of my shirt.

Love the enlongated screen of the new one. I miss the clip, I think. Pondering a case but I prefer the red and white look it has now.

No wonder Apple keeps the smaller iPod line going, there's a market for all these different types. I really didn't care for the 5th gen, no need for the cam, didn't care for the shape. Others swooned when that came out. I think Apple shrugs and figures "Vive la difference" since they sell millions of all of them. I always look forward to seeing the next one myself.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I found it way too small to do much of anything on. Navigation was a joke. Liking the 7th gen much better. It seems to be going back towards the Nanos roots.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
the 5th beats every other nano because of many things, thin, camera, click wheel, radio

gotta agree with you. Don't know what I'll do when my 16gb 5th gen dies, cuz the new nano doesn't float my boat...

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Of all the iPods I know own and use, the 6th gen Nano is by far the most used. Well, maybe the Classic is up there because it is used in my car.

I loved the 6th and kept on on my badge holder at work. I was never without an audiobook or tunes. Never had any issues with its functionality or size.

Now my 5th gen Nano has had to have the curved glass replaced twice. I had to stop carrying it around. The curved glass was a flawed design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.