Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Budget? Largest size you'd like to print? Those are huge factors.

Yeah, lol, I suppose they are. I guess it would need to be 42"

I'm hoping to buy used, so budget is really kind of vague. It will only ever be used for canvas. I'd like to pay as little as possible without having a complete piece of crap that breaks down all the time.....

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is what I figured and that's good because the only two I've seen referenced quite a bit were the Epson 9900 and the Canon iPF8000. UK links to each below.

In this time you may find someone trying to unload it second hand. Not sure where to buy things second hand in the UK myself. If you're doing this with intentions of selling them then you don't want to compromise on quality.

Epson 9900
Canon iPF8000

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Yes, I would go with the Epson 4800 or 9600 (or the new equivalent), if your budget allows for it.

jammiefreerider

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2006
Calm down,

I have no idea what your planning on doing but....Thats frickin huge size for most canvas's. Either your planning on selling a bucket load or your planning on selling just 40 x 30 inchers.

You will waste a lot of paper (which is the expensive stuff) if you dont end up using every available inch.

The question you should be asking is which RIP to use.....

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Calm down,

I have no idea what your planning on doing but....Thats frickin huge size for most canvas's. Either your planning on selling a bucket load or your planning on selling just 40 x 30 inchers.

You will waste a lot of paper (which is the expensive stuff) if you dont end up using every available inch.

The question you should be asking is which RIP to use.....

Well I'm just putting out feelers at the moment, I'm not about to go out & spend 1000s immediately : )

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Well I'm just putting out feelers at the moment, I'm not about to go out & spend 1000s immediately : )

Since you want to print so large, even a used printer is going to be expensive. I picked up a used Epson 4800 for $500, but the bigger ones are still a few k used. You'll need one that is 44" wide and that is hard to come by. I think the Espon 9700 is your best bet for finding a good deal on a used model that meets your reqs, however it is not the greatest printer. The 9890 or 9900 are far superior.

All this being said, unless you will be printing A LOT, you are better off just going to a lab. Even if you can find a deal on a used printer, 350ml ink cartridges for the 9700 are $150 a piece, and the printer takes 5 (another reason maybe to look for a 9890, but then you have to buy 9 cartridges), not to mention 44" inkjet canvas rolls are really expensive too. A 30x40 print on canvas will be a few hundred dollars at a lab, but depending on how many prints you will need during the lifetime of the printer, you might actually save money by letting someone else do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.