Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raafael23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Okay, besides the size, video, bluetooth, is anything different from last nano?
I'm really thinking about buying the 6th generation on ebay because the size is perfect for me, but I don't know if I should since it won't be updated anymore...

I already have an iphone which has bluetooth and a sony mp3, which has video on it and it's same size as the new nano...

(do you think I should buy the 6th gen?)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
For me, the major difference is that the new nano doesn't support the Nike+ iPod sportskit. Sure, it uses the built-in accelerometer to generate the pace/distance data for Nike+, but the new nano doesn't support the footpod. Therefore, you can't use the Polar Wearlink+ Nike+ Heart Rate Strap.

Now, with Bluetooth, this opens up some possibilities, but it depends a lot upon what Apple, Nike, and perhaps Polar come up with. Apple's webpage mentions use of Bluetooth headphones and HR straps, so that's good. Polar makes a BT Heart Rate strap (called the H7) that is compatible with the iPhone4S. Presumably, it would work with the nano7G. The unknown is whether Apple will bake in support for the H7 in the nano7G's Nike app. Also, I doubt that

The kicker in this whole thing is since the nano7G has Bluetooth, it should be able to support the footpod (for better accuracy) since this is how the iPhone and iPod touch do it.

So, unless you really care about this, it doesn't matter for most people.

MattiasN

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden
At the moment I use the 3rd generation Ipod Nano with a Nike+ sportkit which is a receiver that I put in my Ipod and a sensor in my running shoes.

It works quite okay and measure distance nearly as accurate as my Garmin GPS watch, but now I'm thinking about buying the new Ipod Nano (7th gen). The question is if the built-in pedometer/accelerometer in the new 7th gen Ipod track the distance more or less accurate than my old sensor+receiver sport kit?

Anyone who has compared? Has the pedometer/accelerometer in the new 7th gen been improved comparing to the 6th gen Ipod Nano?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
At the moment I use the 3rd generation Ipod Nano with a Nike+ sportkit which is a receiver that I put in my Ipod and a sensor in my running shoes.

It works quite okay and measure distance nearly as accurate as my Garmin GPS watch, but now I'm thinking about buying the new Ipod Nano (7th gen). The question is if the built-in pedometer/accelerometer in the new 7th gen Ipod track the distance more or less accurate than my old sensor+receiver sport kit?

Anyone who has compared? Has the pedometer/accelerometer in the new 7th gen been improved comparing to the 6th gen Ipod Nano?
I think the real issue with accuracy will depend on how you wear the nano7G. In the nano6G manual, they say for best accuracy, wear the nano6G on your waist.

A forum member did a test comparing the accuracy of the nano6G's accelerometer vs. the Nike+ kit on a treadmill. He found very little difference.

However, the nano6G is easy to wear on your waist. The nano7G may not be as easy to wear. If you're holding it or have it shoved in your pocket, it may not be as accurate. I'm not convinced that wearing it on your arm/wrist would result in good results either.

But alas, Nike's made no indication of making a Lightning Nike+ receiver and Apple's made no mention that the nano7G can receive a Nike footpod signal (like the iPod touch and iPhone can using modified Bluetooth).

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I was wrong!!!!

Just read ilounge's review of the 7G nano.

It does support the use of the Nike+ footpod, without the need for the receiver. So the Lightning port isn't an issue.

Even better, it support use of the footpod along with BT headphones and a HR strap simultaneously. So there's no worries regarding accuracy issues of the pedometer for running.

If I hadn't already gotten a replacement 6G nano (due to a broken sleep/hold) button, I'd be all over the 7G nano.

Now, I just need to research the Polar H7 strap to see if the H7 transmitter is compatible with my Wearlink straps.

I'm kinda psyched about this now. Maybe someone can make a Bluetooth GPS dongle that works with the Nike+ app.

darknessangel

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
I would wait for a while. I tried it today. I got the feeling that the bluetooth connection was a little bit shaky. And for me the Nike+ was crippled as it didn't support the iPod watch remote. I would rather buy the 6th gen, or even the 5th gen for the click wheel. After all you're not going to watch vids on that screen.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Originally Posted by darknessangel
After all you're not going to watch vids on that screen.

It's actually pretty comfortable watching video on the screen. I've watched a few shows and some iTunes U material already.

Yeh, I checked this out today at the Apple store and video quality is very good. I agree that you wouldnt watch a full feature length movie on this thing however it works well if say you have a short trip on a train, bus or whatever. For example you could watch the latest Family Guy episode or watch a lecture etc etc. Or if you're travelling interstate or overseas and say visiting relatives you could load up some short videos of the family and friends to show them rather than just showing them photos. Kind of like having one of those digital photo keychain things but you also have videos on it.

Raafael23 or anyone else, if you're planning on using the iPod at a gym and connect up to cardio equipment, then I would recommend getting the 6th gen. It will no doubt be some time before the docks get upgraded to the new lightning format. Also the clip is perfect for securing the device to your gym shorts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.