Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KelchM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
I'm not sure when this started, but I have not been able to get album art to show up in Finder or quick look recently. This applies to both album artwork downloaded by iTunes and embedded artwork.

I have tested this on two machines running 10.6.6 and iTunes 10.2.1.

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
iTunes does not embed artwork to the mp3 files if you get the artwork using the iTunes store. It only embeds the images when you manually add the artwork.

Embedding has it benefits, but it also means that your files become larger as now they have an image in it. So if the album has 12 songs and the image to embed is 300kb, then the new total size is going to be about 2.5Mb bigger. Sure, now a days it's not much, but it can add up when you send them to your ipod/iphone/ipad/etc.

Said all that :D, I like them embedded, and there are several ways to embedd them after itunes has downloaded the images.. the best way is using this script:
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart

If you need help using it, let me know..

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
I forgot to say, sometimes finder wont immediately show the embedded album when using that script. I'm not sure why. The only way to force it to show it is to either log out or restart finder.

Try to not embed the images to too many files at the same time and give it a few seconds after it's ready before you process more files.

I've used it way too many times and have had no other problems with it but the finder problem can be a little bit scary the first time it happens.

KelchM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
I know how to embed album art.

As I said in my post, the problem applies to both embedded art AND art that is downloaded by iTunes.

I've narrowed the problem down to iTunesAccess.framework. (/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework/)

Rolling back to an older version of iTunes (and thus an older version of iTunesAccess.framework) seems to partially fix the problem. By partially, I mean that embedded art works correctly, but tracks which have their art downloaded by iTunes only show the 'no artwork' image in Finder. This is still an improvement from the default 'MP3' icon that was being displayed before I rolled back to an older version of iTunes.

Has anyone else been able to reproduce this issue on 10.6.6 and iTunes 10.2.x?

jasonbrennan

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2006
Yes. I've been having this problem too. Using Mac OS 10.6.6 and iTunes 10.2 and also 10.2.1 has this problem for me as well.

I don't know how to fix it yet.

Question though, are you a developer? I'm an iOS developer and I know Xcode and iTunes share some files, so I'm wondering if maybe Xcode (I'm running Xcode 4 now and no older versions) could be causing the problem. Thoughts?

jasonbrennan

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2006
See the thing is, my MP3s or any music file where I've *manually* added the album art, that works just fine in the Finder.

The only ones that don't show up with Quicklook are the tracks that have had the "Automatically download album art" set for and iTunes downloaded the artwork itself. This happens with any kind of music file.

The artwork used to show up just fine in the Finder, no matter what kind of track or how the artwork was added. But not any longer. That thread unfortunately didn't solve anything for me. But thanks anyway.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The only ones that don't show up with Quicklook are the tracks that have had the "Automatically download album art" set for and iTunes downloaded the artwork itself.
If you read the thread I posted a link to, you'll see that's because iTunes doesn't embed the artwork in the file, but stores it in a separate folder.

jasonbrennan

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2006
I did read that thread and I know that's how iTunes works when it automatically downloads the artwork. But QuickLook has always been able to properly handle the artwork even so.

iTunes stores the automatically downloaded art in its AlbumArt directory, inside a mess of directories (which are actually reversed-hex codes of the song's identifier in the iTunes library file).

It used to work and now it doesn't. It's very strange.

Also, my iTunes folder is in the usual spot, not external or anything funky like that.

KelchM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Yes. I've been having this problem too. Using Mac OS 10.6.6 and iTunes 10.2 and also 10.2.1 has this problem for me as well.

I don't know how to fix it yet.

Question though, are you a developer? I'm an iOS developer and I know Xcode and iTunes share some files, so I'm wondering if maybe Xcode (I'm running Xcode 4 now and no older versions) could be causing the problem. Thoughts?

For what it's worth, I have not updated to xcode 4 yet.

KelchM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
I'm not sure when this started, but I have not been able to get album art to show up in Finder or quick look recently. This applies to both album artwork downloaded by iTunes and embedded artwork.

I have tested this on two machines running 10.6.6 and iTunes 10.2.1.

Here are two more references to this problem:
http://blog.alfredapp.com/2011/03/08/fixing-vanishing-artwork-in-itunes-10-2-update/
http://www.tuneupmedia.com/blogindex.php/2011/03/issues-saving-cover-art-with-itunes-10-2/

papo2

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I am having the same problem. The album artwork is not displaying in Finder.

However, I noticed it only happens with the mp3 files I have on my local drive. All of the mp3 files with album artwork that reside on my external HD are displayed in Finder.

I am on 10.6.8, running iTunes 10.5 Beta 3, but have the same behavior with the official release of all 10.xx versions.

This is really annoying. Can anyone provide some insight?

Thanks peeps!

Smorgie84

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Chicago, IL
Same Problem Here - Artwork Not Appearing on Tagged Audio File

I'm glad to see someone else is experiencing the same issue as I am. For me, this happened in the last week or so, perhaps with the recent OS X 10.6.8 update? I use ID3 Editor to tag my MP3 files. When I drag in artwork and update the file, I am usually able to see that artwork on the file that resides on my desktop or somewhere else on my machine. In the last week or so, after tagging the file, I see only the default musical note image associated with audio files. Older files created before are fine.

The interesting thing is that I know these new files are being tagged properly because I use them for podcasting and when someone downloads the content, they see the image with the latest episode on their iPhone/iPod, etc. It's just an athestic thing at this point, but also frustrating because I don't know for sure whether the file has been tagged just by looking at it.

I upgraded one of my machines to Lion this morning so I plan to check to see whether this is still a problem on the new OS once I get home tonight.

Any other updates on this from those who have reported a problem? By some of the dates of these posts, it looks like this problem goes back to some older versions of the Mac OS.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
This is an iTunes 10.4 and over issue. Last time it was iTunes 9.2 IIRC. Nothing we can do except send bug reports to Apple and wait for an update, and hope it doesn't take as long as last time.

Smorgie84

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Chicago, IL
Jolly Jimmy is correct. This issue is not occurring on my machine that has an earlier version of iTunes. Strange, but my Lion download came with an earlier version of iTunes (10.3.1) and this issue is not happening there. It's happening only with my machine that has iTunes 10.4. I didn't know why iTunes had anything to do with this since I am not using iTunes to tag my files. I contacted the software firm that supports the ID3 Editor and this is what he said (this may not be news to anyone else, but I learned something new):

The reason for the issue with iTunes is the tight integration with QuickTime which basically runs the preview system in OS X, so the upgrade would havechanged system files that would appear to have nothing to do with iTunes. Ifyou are using 10.4 and it is happening again, then it does confirm the rumours which is annoying to say the least. Your best option is to downgradeto 10.3 as Apple took a very long time to fix the problem last time

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
To Smorgie84, it's not strange that your Lion download came with 10.3.1, every Lion download comes with it, the thing is not to install the update 10.4, I did that, and I couldn't create new mp3 with the artwork, so I reinstalled Lion, kept iTunes 10.3.1 and everything works, so yes, I guess it's safe to say that the problem is in iTunes 10.4 update, not in finder.

So, if you are like me, that wants everything perfect, don't update to 10.4, and just have to wait until we find out that Apple has fixed this issue in iTunes 10.XXXX

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Update 104.1 fixes this issue, lets download it and see if it works...

Apple’s release notes are as follows:

iTunes 10.4.1 provides a number of improvements, including:

- Fixes a problem where the media keys on some third-party keyboards work inconsistently with iTunes
- Addresses issues with adding artwork to songs and videos

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, I just tried out, I selected a song, created an mp3 version of it, and the album artwork didn't embed the cover art, 10.3 was working great for me, if only apple hadn't stated that it fixed the album art problem i would never updated to 10.4.1, *****.

Sorry all for that, so, do not update to 10.4.1, it doesn't fix the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

kidclam

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
I have the fix!!!!

I have had the same issue ever since Lion. Its been very painful not having album art preview in finder or the play button when rollover the file for so many versions of OSX. Today I worked hard in trying to solve the problem since Applecare support hasn't helped much, all they did was tell me to bring the computer in. The other main reason I got so motivated to try and fix this is because the DJ app for Mac only reads album art from the finder even if iTunes can display the album art. The other reason that got me curious is that my friends macbook pro album art worked fine, so I cross checked with his computer until I figured out a few things that helped and ultimately fixed the issue. FINALLY!

My set up:
- I have my full iTunes library folder on my external as I have over 700GB of music.
- It includes all my database files in there, which is very important as I have many playlist settings from over 7 years of iTunes activity.

SOLUTION:
1. With every new computer I have purchased, I use to just pressed option on Mac and press iTunes to locate my folder (which I have said is located on my external drive).
2. I tried today to press option again BUT locate and selected the default library in the user/music folder of my internal drive (standard setting from Apple).
3. Miraculously, all the album art appeared in both my external drive library and also today's downloaded songs on my Macbook pro. Ofcourse with the new default location I don't have any songs or data.
4. So I tried to find a way to keep this library data on my internal drive since it can help the finder display all my files properly, yes even have the play on rollover button but as well link it back to my external drive with all my 700GB songs.
5. I then went into iTunes Preferences/Advance tab and in iTunes Media folder location redirected the location to my external drive iTunes/ iTunes Media folder. If it asks to collate data, press NO.
6. Then I quit iTunes.
7. Next I copied the 4 files to my desktop from my external drive as I want to keep the data I have made with all my playlists etc. The four files are iTunes Library Extras.itdb , iTunes Library Genius.itdb , iTunes Library.itl , iTunes Library.xml
8. I then went to my internal drive User/Music/Itunes/ and dragged these 4 files I copied from my external drive into here and making sure to REPLACE the four existing files already there.
9. Next open iTunes and you will find all your presettings appear with all your music linked to your external. What this does is keep the important library files on your internal drive (that somehow makes your finder files album art appear), BUT to read also all the music mp3 files located in the external drive (action from step 5)

Presto!! All your music files whether on internal drive or external all the album art has appeared.

Hope this helps!! Let me know if there are any other questions.
I am on 10.8.1 running retina macbook pro.

LazarusX

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2012
Shanghai, China
I have the fix!!!!

I have had the same issue ever since Lion. Its been very painful not having album art preview in finder or the play button when rollover the file for so many versions of OSX. Today I worked hard in trying to solve the problem since Applecare support hasn't helped much, all they did was tell me to bring the computer in. The other main reason I got so motivated to try and fix this is because the DJ app for Mac only reads album art from the finder even if iTunes can display the album art. The other reason that got me curious is that my friends macbook pro album art worked fine, so I cross checked with his computer until I figured out a few things that helped and ultimately fixed the issue. FINALLY!

My set up:
- I have my full iTunes library folder on my external as I have over 700GB of music.
- It includes all my database files in there, which is very important as I have many playlist settings from over 7 years of iTunes activity.

SOLUTION:
1. With every new computer I have purchased, I use to just pressed option on Mac and press iTunes to locate my folder (which I have said is located on my external drive).
2. I tried today to press option again BUT locate and selected the default library in the user/music folder of my internal drive (standard setting from Apple).
3. Miraculously, all the album art appeared in both my external drive library and also today's downloaded songs on my Macbook pro. Ofcourse with the new default location I don't have any songs or data.
4. So I tried to find a way to keep this library data on my internal drive since it can help the finder display all my files properly, yes even have the play on rollover button but as well link it back to my external drive with all my 700GB songs.
5. I then went into iTunes Preferences/Advance tab and in iTunes Media folder location redirected the location to my external drive iTunes/ iTunes Media folder. If it asks to collate data, press NO.
6. Then I quit iTunes.
7. Next I copied the 4 files to my desktop from my external drive as I want to keep the data I have made with all my playlists etc. The four files are iTunes Library Extras.itdb , iTunes Library Genius.itdb , iTunes Library.itl , iTunes Library.xml
8. I then went to my internal drive User/Music/Itunes/ and dragged these 4 files I copied from my external drive into here and making sure to REPLACE the four existing files already there.
9. Next open iTunes and you will find all your presettings appear with all your music linked to your external. What this does is keep the important library files on your internal drive (that somehow makes your finder files album art appear), BUT to read also all the music mp3 files located in the external drive (action from step 5)

Presto!! All your music files whether on internal drive or external all the album art has appeared.

Hope this helps!! Let me know if there are any other questions.
I am on 10.8.1 running retina macbook pro.

Same issue here.

Here's my setup:
OS X 10.8.2 (clean install), iTunes 10.7
I replaced the optical drive with a SSD and set it as my startup drive. My iTunes library is located on the stock HDD drive. For every music file (inside or outside the iTunes library), the album art (which I'm sure is embedded in the music file) is not shown in finder icon or quick look.

I tried kidclam's solution, not working.

kidclam

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
Same issue here.

Here's my setup:
OS X 10.8.2 (clean install), iTunes 10.7
I replaced the optical drive with a SSD and set it as my startup drive. My iTunes library is located on the stock HDD drive. For every music file (inside or outside the iTunes library), the album art (which I'm sure is embedded in the music file) is not shown in finder icon or quick look.

I tried kidclam's solution, not working.

Interesting that I suggested for you to test another easy way but you can't be bothered. Then you come in this thread and said my solution is not working without giving any real reason. Your set up is unique compared to a normal set up and that is why I asked you to try another way. But you don't reply back.

I asked you to simply open an account with admin privileges and test the iTunes from scratch. This doesn't affect your current account. You could currently have some app installed or files moved that is not working.

If you start from a clean account, its the only way you can test an issue related to the system. Did you try taking your issue to Apple Store genius person to have a look?

LazarusX

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2012
Shanghai, China
Interesting that I suggested for you to test another easy way but you can't be bothered. Then you come in this thread and said my solution is not working without giving any real reason. Your set up is unique compared to a normal set up and that is why I asked you to try another way. But you don't reply back.

I asked you to simply open an account with admin privileges and test the iTunes from scratch. This doesn't affect your current account. You could currently have some app installed or files moved that is not working.

If you start from a clean account, its the only way you can test an issue related to the system. Did you try taking your issue to Apple Store genius person to have a look?

Actually this was posted before that one on Apple Support Communities.

I have taken your advice and replied you there. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.