Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Well, my sister has an old 2nd gen iPod. She in the past would borrow my mother's PowerBook, rip music to it from the CD's, and then sync with the iPod. Recently, my mother noted the huge library and asked her not to continue this practice anymore.

Remember, now, she's not a rational computer user; she just tries to get things done and whines and complains if it doesn't work. You know, one of those people that always blames the "messed up computer" instead of admitting to user error. I have to put up with this.

She kept messing with it and somehow managed to delete everything on her iPod.

Now she's claiming my mother's PowerBook is 'messed up' and wants to use MINE. I'm a bit worried by this, as you can imagine :p

I don't have an iPod and have never worked with setting them up so walk me through it like I was a noob.

So here we go.

First problem. When she rips/views CD's, the track names don't come up. This is a problem when ripping multiple CDs- it's a pain to manually type in each song name. Are there any solutons to this?

Second problem. How do you copy music directly to the iPod WITHOUT having to sync your entire library and put the music on your hard drive?

Thanks, might have more questions later.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
To get the track names you must be connected to the internet. If it doesn't do it automatically when you insert the CD then you can select "Get CD track names" from the Advanced menu.

Secondly, to manually drag across music and not necessarily keep the tracks on your PowerBook, select "Manually manage iPod songs and playlists" from the iPod preferences within iTunes. Then you just have to drag them across. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.