Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Yes you are correct

I have a Spigen crystal SP on the front and the included back SP. The phone fits perfectly snug. I wouldn't recommend side/band protectors though. Those would peel right off or not even fit all together.

I do like a case for rougher situations.
Q: why does this case need a back screen protector? And will the case survive removal a few times a week? Or will the poly part break or scratch the phone?

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
Hi Map, Gorgeous pics as always. I will probably get a blue or white one for the GF.

Is there any "lay on the table" effect using a screen protector. Reason I ask is it looks like it does have a "lip" but I was looking at a pic of the case with the Glass Tr and that pic shows no lay on the table whatsoever.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I do like a case for rougher situations.
Q: why does this case need a back screen protector? And will the case survive removal a few times a week? Or will the poly part break or scratch the phone?

It prob doesn't need a back screen protector since its a solid tight fit. I however put it on for peace of mind and I use the monoprice bumper sometimes too. I've removed it a few times the past few days and there's no signs of loosening up. The sides are solid hard plastic.

Hi Map, Gorgeous pics as always. I will probably get a blue or white one for the GF.

Is there any "lay on the table" effect using a screen protector. Reason I ask is it looks like it does have a "lip" but I was looking at a pic of the case with the Glass Tr and that pic shows no lay on the table whatsoever.

Indyzzzz whats up man....I would stay away from white because I would think the top/bottom would show wear and discolor quickly. I would think the glas series would keep the glass and lip of the case flush since that SP is much thicker. The thinner crystal series I use gives the case a slight lay on table design.

This case never shows fingerprints and doesn't have signs of scratches. I like the back plastic of the case (it seems sand blasted).

Anyone have pics of the military green? Might scoop that color up if it looks right.

illomatic3

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
does it slide in and out of your pocket easily?? looks like the silicone on the top and bottom would frequently get stuck and attract lint

iFalcon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
I love the look and.style of this case. Does anyone know of a similar one for the 4s?

Thanks

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
does it slide in and out of your pocket easily?? looks like the silicone on the top and bottom would frequently get stuck and attract lint

no issues with the top and bottom TPU. it is very stiff for TPU and not at all sticky. it isn't like silicone or rubber. the texture gives it a nice grip, but it easily slides in and out of your pocket.

I love the look and.style of this case. Does anyone know of a similar one for the 4s?

Thanks

the Tones is based on their 4/4S Eclipse case. the design lines are a little different, but the materials should be the same.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Great photos, OP. I might have to pick this one up. It seemed like just a cheap TPU case, but these photos sort of changed my mind.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
from videos ive seen the connector cover looks flush against the case but the headphone jack cover looks raised, is it like that?

It is a bit. I used the connector cover once. To much of a pain getting out.

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Just ordered the black one.

It appears there isn't a lip on the front. Can you confirm that you can slide it around with the front facing down without it touching the screen?

Also, is it just the lighting or is the black really that blueish? It looks like the blue version more than the black one.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
there is a lip, but it is small, like 1mm. it is enough to keep the glass off the table though. i like it since it you can still easily touch the very sides of the screen which can sometimes be a pain with larger lips.
also, the black/grey isn't tinted blue - that was just the white balance being a little off in his photos.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
They really should call it grey. It's not even close to black. A little more grip would be nice too.

thebrowncoat

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
They really should call it grey. It's not even close to black. A little more grip would be nice too.

I agree. Got mine today and while I love the fit and finish, it's nowhere near as black as it appears in the pictures. Top and bottom panels are grey. Back middle panel is what I would call a black/grey - it's not a deep, dark black.

Still really like the case so far though.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I asked SwitcheEasy if the back film protector was necessary to prevent case scratches. Here is the CS response.

Hello there,

Thank you for your email. The TONES Case will not effect your phone in any way if you do not use the back Screen Protector. The Screen Protector is provided to prevent minor scrapes and scratches on the surface of your iPhone, if you wish to use them. Certainly not required though. As I have mentioned before the TONES Case is not harmful to your iPhone when you do not apply the Back Screen Protector. Just there as an extra!

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Finally got my black ip5. Black Switcheasy IS a VERY nice case.

Slim and lightweight. One word of caution. Get the new Apple 30pin to lighting cable instead of the adapter. The adapter is to short to work with this case.

The Destroyer

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Toronto
Finally got my black ip5. Black Switcheasy IS a VERY nice case.

Slim and lightweight. One word of caution. Get the new Apple 30pin to lighting cable instead of the adapter. The adapter is to short to work with this case.

Have you tried the case with the 30 pin to lightning cable? It's thicker then the regular lightning cable and others have said it doesn't even work with the case.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Have you tried the case with the 30 pin to lightning cable? It's thicker then the regular lightning cable and others have said it doesn't even work with the case.

Yes you are right. I wrote before I bought. Apple made the lighting connector thicker as you said. Stupid.

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
I love this case. Re the Glas.tr, it works fine with it. The only problem is that if you use the Glas.tr and put the phone screen-side down on a smooth surface, it will actually GLIDE. IOW, the lip of the case is basically flush with the screen protector. So if you drop it face down, the case will not prevent contact with the surface of the screen protector.

Still, since the case resists scratches, you can set it down screen-side up with no scratches to the case. It is also the easiest to put on and remove of any of the cases I've tried.

swamyg1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
Hmmm that makes me nervous about the lip on the screen, was hoping it would be able to offer protection if it hit the ground screen first.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.