Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Sorry, but this is "Exactly" what is wrong with Apple

If anything should "SHOUT" form over function, making a non mobile desktop computer (that is build for a serious fast task - computing) thinner just for aesthetic reasons, when it makes no difference to the products usefulness is just utterly idiotic.

Are desks collapsing due to the current iMac weight?
Can you get more iMacs on your desk if the shave another few mm off the thickness?
You you sit side on and think, if only the iMac was a bit thinner?
Do you have trouble positioning the iMac on your desk due to it's thickness?

The iMac is "Supposed" to be the General Public's serious computer (not Mac Pro) it's supposed to be technically excellent.

At the moment, due to Apples insistence on form over function it is limited to laptop chip sets as the case is too cramped and will overheat.
Internal components run HOT, yes they are within tolerance, but still hotter than they need to run. And all heat does is shorten the lifespan of electronics.

Some have suggested the constant yellow screen issues that have plagued the iMas for years is down to the heat/cramped conditions the screen has to sit within.

It just seem crazy to make something, technically worse for visual sake, esp when on a desktop the thickness is a non issue.

An iPhone and iPad and iPod all have to be limited technically in what they can do due to practical size and weight limitations, that is obvious.

An iMac should not be deliberately burdened by those limitations.
Do you really want iMacs always constricted to be not as good as they could be? Perhaps, who knows, even glued together to save that extra 0.5mm?

Last edited:

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I really do not understand Apples obsession with making everything as thin as possible.

I wonder if they are trying to make the worlds first 2D computer that can only be seen by viewing it in the (x,y) plane.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Sorry, but this is "Exactly" what is wrong with Apple

If anything should "SHOUT" form over function, making a non mobile desktop computer (that is build for a serious fast task - computing) thinner just for aesthetic reasons, when it makes no difference to the products usefulness is just utterly idiotic.

Are desks collapsing due to the current iMac weight?
Can you get more iMacs on your desk if the shave another few mm off the thickness?
You you sit side on and think, if only the iMac was a bit thinner?
Do you have trouble positioning the iMac on your desk due to it's thickness?

The iMac is "Supposed" to be the General Public's serious computer (not Mac Pro) it's supposed to be technically excellent.

At the moment, due to Apples insistence on form over function it is limited to laptop chip sets as the case is too cramped and will overheat.
Internal components run HOT, yes they are within tolerance, but still hotter than they need to run. And all heat does is shorten the lifespan of electronics.

Some have suggested the constant yellow screen issues that have plagued the iMas for years is down to the heat/cramped conditions the screen has to sit within.

It just seem crazy to make something, technically worse for visual sake, esp when on a desktop the thickness is a non issue.

An iPhone and iPad and iPod all have to be limited technically in what they can do due to practical size and weight limitations, that is obvious.

An iMac should not be deliberately burdened by those limitations.
Do you really want iMacs always constricted to be not as good as they could be? Perhaps, who knows, even glued together to save that extra 0.5mm?

iMac's specs have never been "serious". If Apple wants it to be a serious desktop computer, they can even make it into a tower. A tower doesn't collapse your desk too. iMac has always been about form over function.

andigital

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
UK
Finally!! Some iMac parts leaked...

The time upgrade my iMac 2006 is near...:)

It is sad that the 27" would take longer... Could I keep myself back once the 21.5" is released? :mad:

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
tweaking the 15" rMBP? :eek: i'd like some of that heat dissipation for my rMBP!

Rule 1: electronics get better over time.

Corollary to Rule 1: never buy revision A of any product if you're not comfortable with being a guinea pig.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
iMac has always been about form over function.

I disagree completely. The iMac is equal amounts of form and function, a perfect combination in perfect proportions.

A tower? No form, all function (even the Mac Pros). If I had one today I'd be thinking, "where's the nearest closet I can stick this eyesore in?"

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Does the iMac need to be any thinner? Seriously, I'd rather they didn't have to compromise on internals for the sake of a pointless keynote boast.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
But why the hell would they make them more expensive???
They probably ditched the optical drive. Outside the reality distortion field, this is a cost cut that warrants a price cut, but inside the reality distortion field, 'freedom from optical drive' is a favor to the user that warrants a price hike.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Good to see a rumor surface on the iMac finally. This paragraph from the article intrigued me.

The redesigned iMac is said to be considerably thinner than the current form factor, with the machine's thickness almost impossible to gauge when viewed from the side. The curved rear shell is also said to appear more like a water droplet than the squared-off design seen in the current model.

I wonder what is meant by it being so thin from a side profile that one cannot gauge its thickness. What are we talking here, less than a quarter of an inch?

If so, that would tell me, that there would be no more HDD availability and only SSD for storage. Then the next challenge would be the fans, how thin can they make a fan and still have it dissapaite heat efficiently?

I like the idea of the laminated screen for better resolution and thinness. It would be cool to see if they make the screen cover the full face of it with the tiniest of a bezel around it.

If my thoughts are even close to what they end up shipping, I may get one though I don't need one per se!

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Oopoohhh Lord, finally some light at the end of the tunnel, Rejoice !

Yes, rejoice until you find out that because they sealed the screen, there will no longer be any way of getting inside the iMac (without almost destroying it) to replace or upgrade basic things like the hard drive.

The hard drive, more than any other part in a modern computer, is likely to die within 2 years or so. So enjoy that new iMac with that ticking time bomb inside it as long as you can, lol.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Hopefully with matte display option, even if more expensive. No matte option, no purchase. It is a deal breaker because it is a health and productivity issue. Search Google for MacMatte for more information.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
What does the thinness mean for anyone? What do you perceive as being the benefit? Genuinely curious.

I've an MBA and love it, but it's profile has a distinct benefit given how much I carry it. When it comes to the iMac - it'd make the machine sit a half an inch further from the wall behind it.

MacDouble

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
I'm very happy about the news, but there are some things which are very annoying:
1.) The new iMacs will be more expensive. Okay, it's "new" tech and a new model, but the tech is contemporary and a higher price is not suitable.
2.) If the 27' iMac comes later, for example in November or December, the Haswell upgrade could be happen just 4 month after it. Will it be worth it?

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I'm very happy about the news, but there are some things which are very annoying:
1.) The new iMacs will be more expensive. Okay, it's "new" tech and a new model, but the tech is contemporary and a higher price is not suitable.
2.) If the 27' iMac comes later, for example in November or December, the Haswell upgrade could be happen just 4 month after it. Will it be worth it?
Ivy Bridge is 6 months old... how is that new tech?

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Looks like a laptop hard drive. Which would allow for a much thinner body, but at the expense of a smaller drive capacity.

So true. More thinner. Less upgradable. More expensive. Less power.

At this point is better to just get a display for your laptop. Of course, now that they silently fix all the retina mbp problems.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I wonder what is meant by it being so thin from a side profile that one cannot gauge its thickness. What are we talking here, less than a quarter of an inch?
I'm guessing it's getting the iPad 2 treatment... tapered edges where the curve begins right where the glass ends.

If so, that would tell me, that there would be no more HDD availability and only SSD for storage.
Probably, which would explain the rumored price hike. In Apple's weird world of paradoxes, SSD is this brand new amazing exclusive cutting-edge technology that costs a billion trillion bucks, even today when it's a fairly cheap commodity item.

Instead of obsessing with thinness, I wish they would concentrate on power.
Looking at Geekbench scores, I find that:
- Top of the line PCs beat the crap out of the 2012 Mac Pro.
- The 2012 Mac Pro beats the crap out of the 2009 Mac Pro.
- The 2009 Mac Pro beats the crap out of the top of the line 2011 i7 iMac.

Heck, even the Retina MBP beats the fastest iMac. If Apple believes that the minitower computer is obsolete and that the iMac is just as good... how about making an iMac that doesn't get its ass handed to it by Apple's own laptops?

Bigdogfilms

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Hey Tim, just wondering how thin is thin enough? How lite is lite enough? I buy Apple products because they are of the highest quality on the market. However, as I have noted with the iPhone 5, it is so light it feels cheeply made. It feels like its so fragile that it will crack easily. With the quality issues it has, perhaps it is cheeply made.
Hey Tim, Apple products are the best available. They have presence. Please don't follow the path the other guys have chosen. Lite, thin, plastic and glue? That's the other guys, not Apple.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Looks like a laptop hard drive. Which would allow for a much thinner body, but at the expense of a smaller drive capacity.

It looks like the iMac is going to be a Macbook pro with a screen the wrong way around to me.. wonder if that means we are going to get Nvidia Graphics this refresh ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.