Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I've been monitoring their website, but they keep pushing the deadline back. They're blaming the weather, but I think it's Baumgartner chickening out... :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This is beyond cooler than a lot of things ... especially David Blaine.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
I've been monitoring their website, but they keep pushing the deadline back. They're blaming the weather, but I think it's Baumgartner chickening out... :D

Yes! stop messing about Felix! just jump off the balloon already!....man or mouse eh?...squeek squeek!..

Pahh! I'm going to get some helium balloons going in my garden and beat the record.

~rings Sky TV to drum up support - tinkers with lil web cam~

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
Abandoned due to breeze....also in the news Everest attempt abandoned due to chill.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I was watching the stream. Kind of sad it was called off. This was going to be fun the watch, but I am afraid he won't make it. He's got some balls, that's for sure.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
I fail to see the special achievement other than a huge marketing stunt for a certain energy drink company. Before you bury my comment please read up on Kittinger's jumps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excelsior

Now that was an achievement with much less sophisticated technology, knowledge and security systems. Also didn't have a fancy sponsor.

So now, a few decades later, Baumgartner jumps off a mere 5 km higher than Kittinger...yawn.

Anyway, just my opinion.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
I fail to see the special achievement other than a huge marketing stunt for a certain energy drink company. Before you bury my comment please read up on Kittinger's jumps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excelsior

Now that was an achievement with much less sophisticated technology, knowledge and security systems. Also didn't have a fancy sponsor.

So now, a few decades later, Baumgartner jumps off a mere 5 km higher than Kittinger...yawn.

Anyway, just my opinion.

A marketing stunt is all it is, certainly. But who cares, it's so cool! I didn't get to watch Kittinger make his jump, but now, along with 6.5 million other people, I'm streaming this jump live on YouTube!

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
The shot from behind him right as he leaped toward earth was spectacular!

Nerves of steel. I would have chickened out and got back in.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
Speechless. Gonna upload it on youtube (just the freefall and landing) dunno if it will get taken down straight away coz of copyright but balls to it

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Clearly, he just doesn't give a PUCK! That man has balls of steel.

And he's hot!

Felix_Baumgartner.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.